Mid tier to premium level optics is the price worth it?

Working on getting PM ability but my question probably applies across several brands.

How much extra money is worth the jump from a mid range option the same brand premium option? I’m looking into maven binoculars so I will use their pricing 10x50 mid level MSRP is $475 top level 10x50 is $1050.

Is a “5-10% increase in performance” really worth double the cost?

Sadly money is and will be a factor- house needs a new roof (13’ of snow in a winter did some damage) young kid not yet in school, I’m the primary income earner, already working 45-50 hours week…. And I don’t want to put any ‘fun’ things on the credit card :) and yes maven has a trial feature for Binos, but if it’s a two week trial I loose at least 4 days on each side getting items to and from Alaska and then at least a day on each side of my trip and I’m left with a 3-4? Day hunt window….

Don't have any experience with maven, but my experience with glass is that it's an advantage you can buy.. is it worth it to you? That's up for you to decide. I choose to use swaro, and I know how much better they are than it's competitors. It's worth it to me. Always always always buy the absolute best glass you can afford, if you can't kill it if you can't see it.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

How do you hunt? Better glass is more important when you’re sitting behind tripod mounted binos all day than other styles, like still hunting through thicker areas

Either way, considering used and getting the best glass you can afford is solid advice pretty much always

180ls1

WKR
It's pretty subjective but you'll hardly ever hear someone regret buying better glass.

I'd scour the used market for premium glass. That's probably your best bet.

nobody

WKR
Working on getting PM ability but my question probably applies across several brands.

How much extra money is worth the jump from a mid range option the same brand premium option? I’m looking into maven binoculars so I will use their pricing 10x50 mid level MSRP is $475 top level 10x50 is $1050.

Is a “5-10% increase in performance” really worth double the cost?

Sadly money is and will be a factor- house needs a new roof (13’ of snow in a winter did some damage) young kid not yet in school, I’m the primary income earner, already working 45-50 hours week…. And I don’t want to put any ‘fun’ things on the credit card :) and yes maven has a trial feature for Binos, but if it’s a two week trial I loose at least 4 days on each side getting items to and from Alaska and then at least a day on each side of my trip and I’m left with a 3-4? Day hunt window….
I think this is a great discussion, and one that most people don’t have internally. I’ve always felt the point of diminishing return is right about $1k-ish. $500 is definitely a better bino than $200, but $1k is also a significant jump above the $500 price mark. But going up above the $1k ish mark buys really really REALLY small improvements, and only you know if that juice is worth the squeeze, and it varies person to person.

As an aside, call maven and bring up your hunt. I can’t promise it, but I’ve heard they’ll work with you potentially within reason.

OP
D
Don't have any experience with maven, but my experience with glass is that it's an advantage you can buy.. is it worth it to you? That's up for you to decide. I choose to use swaro, and I know how much better they are than it's competitors. It's worth it to me. Always always always buy the absolute best glass you can afford, if you can't kill it if you can't see it.

I know aware Swarovski el 10x50 exist, but offering a optic that is 3k when I know buying a 1k bino will leave my family without isn’t super helpful- if money wasn’t an issue I would not be asking this question

KenLee

WKR

Amen. Wish I'd bought alpha binocs and scopes long before I did.

OP
D
I think this is a great discussion, and one that most people don’t have internally. I’ve always felt the point of diminishing return is right about $1k-ish. $500 is definitely a better bino than $200, but $1k is also a significant jump above the $500 price mark. But going up above the $1k ish mark buys really really REALLY small improvements, and only you know if that juice is worth the squeeze, and it varies person to person.

As an aside, call maven and bring up your hunt. I can’t promise it, but I’ve heard they’ll work with you potentially within reason.
Processing Diminishing returns is fun- I have had a blast shooting midrange( 600 yards) against people with f class rigs that cost more then the car I arrived in with a ruger american rifle. Was I competitive- no and I understood I would not win/be competitive in that group. But the point was get out and not be inside that Saturday.

Back to topics thanks for giving me a better title for my post- where is diminishing returns and optics the 1k idea is very benchmark to set thank you for that

I know aware Swarovski el 10x50 exist, but offering a optic that is 3k when I know buying a 1k bino will leave my family without isn’t super helpful- if money wasn’t an issue I would not be asking this question
Wasn't necessarily telling you to buy Swarovski, just stating my experience was upgrading to Swarovski and having used lesser brands prior, and comparing my Swaro stuff to friends to show them Upgrading glass was worth it for me, which is what you asked.
Your life, finances, hunting style, and desire to be successful will all play part in your decision and what your willing to sacrifice to achieve the success you want in hunting and how important that is to you.
Nobody has ever regretted getting better quality glass unless they were extremely weight concerned. I want success and I'm willing and able to sacrifice time to make more money to upgrade gear. Not everyone's situation is the same.

Lots of great options around $800, some used, that you will be fine with. I have looked through lots of binos and I honestly dont see the hype, for the cost, of many of them. Looked through some NLs Saturday and was not thinking I would pay that much for them. I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance in gear purchases.

KenLee

WKR
Lots of great options around $800, some used, that you will be fine with. I have looked through lots of binos and I honestly dont see the hype, for the cost, of many of them. Looked through some NLs Saturday and was not thinking I would pay that much for them. I think there is a lot of cognitive dissonance in gear purchases.
NLs show out in low light

nobody

WKR
Yup, agree on the used comment. Picked my B2 11’s up from a member on here for $880 shipped and have been very happy with them.

Kurts86

WKR
Maven C1’s are probably the best cheap binocular and would be the lowest I could go today and not feel like I’m missing a lot of performance in the field. They are also notably lighter than the B series.

Maven’s B series are a great mid range option whose optics are fairly close to the alpha stuff at the expense of weight but at half the cost.

The third option or way to think about affording good optics is to sell some guns/gear that you could manage without and pour that money into primary binoculars.

How you use your binoculars also really matters. Tripod mounting them goes a long way as does glassing as a skill.

JGRaider

WKR

NLs show out in low light
The fact is today's $500-$1000 binoculars are better than ever. There's not a $500 glass made today that won't get you past legal shooting light, easily. If a guy isn't successful nowadays hunting with a $500 binocular, it's the hunter's fault, not the glass.

KenLee

WKR
The fact is today's $500-$1000 binoculars are better than ever. There's not a $500 glass made today that won't get you past legal shooting light, easily. If a guy isn't successful nowadays hunting with a $500 binocular, it's the hunter's fault, not the glass.
My "legal" light is not likely the same as yours