Microspikes

Randle

WKR
I picked up a set of katoola micro spikes for shed hunting a few years ago. But havent made it out to shed hunt the past fee years.
I have been thinking about tossing them in the pack for whitetail and late smokepole elk in December season .
I this it will give better traction when packing out. From snow to wet speed stick to ice patchs i think it makes sense.
Any one actually use them on a packout? Was it worth packing them?

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
I used them packing out an elk one year in sloppy mud/snow, it was steep uphill and while it wasn't exactly dangerous, I felt they helped me exert a ton less energy because I slipped so much less because of them. Big fan.

sivart

WKR
just don't use them on hard ground. I tried that this year on some very steep slopes during archery elk. Traction is great, but i cut blisters really quickly

I would say they are worth it in the right temps and conditions. I use them a lot back east where we get a lot of ice conditions. Used them on an icry patch in Wyoming this year and was glad I had them.

I discovered microspikes the last time I was drawn for Sheep in the Canmore bow zone. I would not even dream of not using them again. The combination of 'spikes 'and trekking poles turned me into a 4x4 on the mountain. They are awesome in steep snow and icy rocks. One section I climbed daily was a steep grassy slope covered in snow ;before my spike days I once slid down nearly 200 yards on this steep slope with my bow cartwheeling beside me. With microspikes on we traversed this same slope easily.

I use/wear microspikes a lot. So much so, that I usually wear out a pair every year between the months of Sept.-May. I currently have 4 sets that I’ve wired together with bailing wire in various places, whatever it takes to get a few more hikes out of ‘em before tossing them in the trash.
I’ve even done multi week hunts and never took them off my boots.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Cool thanks for all the info.
Sounds like for the rest of this season I should throw them in the pack .

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine and use them a lot especially sidehilling in steep country with snow on the ground. At certain temperatures I have issues with snow building up under my boot so I just take them off until it cools off enough again.

mflo

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Just to echo everyone else, they are certainly worth the weight penalty if you think there might be ice/snow. I've used mine mostly on hikes/climbs in the high country when I wanted to wear lightweight boots or trail runners instead of full on mountaineering boots with crampons, and they performed excellently.

ChrisAU

WKR
Forgot that one thing - at one point during a long pack out I entered a field of deadfall hell, and happened to have the microspikes on. I felt like a cat moving on those trees with those on. Much more secure footing stepping on them and walking down them.

They’ve seen better days, but they still work.
955b01bc7d80a33aea9118bbecbd5f8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Another company, Hillsound, makes some that are very similar and high quality for a little cheaper than Kahtoola. I think they're Canadian. Anyway, I hs e Hillsounds and love them. Haven't used them for a pack out though. I think it would work well

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with a set, from the wet season to late with ice and snow.