Metatarsalgia from last hunt

magtech

WKR
I developed metatarsalgia during my last archery hunt. It slowly developed over the hunt, and at one point it was where i was trying to walk on one foot down the mountain, in the dark.... I even thought about sleeping on the trail that night. It sucked.

Basically, the pain shoots between my big toe and second toe that goes from the front of the pad to the back, with extreme 2nd/3rd toe pain . Since i stopped hiking with weight, the shooting feeling is there but no pain. Will this go away over time? I wear 6 different types of shoes/boots around the year (sandals/hikers/shoes/muck boots/hunting boots/pack boots.) Each one affects this foot thing differently lately, I tested.

Will this go away over time; or, will i just learn to deal with it?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've got metatarsalgia. I don't know if it 'developed' while hunting, but I only ever experienced any issues because hunting is the only time I cover that much ground in stiff boots. My big toe was numb for months after one mileage intensive trip. It's mostly cleared up, but I don't think it'll ever be 100%. That trip was 6 or 7 years ago. I doubt the metatarsalgia itself will ever go away, but there are options to help with it.

I tried 4 or 5 different boots thinking that was the issue before finally going to a podiatrist. I got some very expensive custom orthotics, which did work, but we're bulky and wouldn't fit in most footwear(luckily was fine in my hunting boots). After wearing them out in a couple years, I wasn't keen on spending another $600.

I'd try some cheaper options to see if they'll work for you before going for custom orthotics. Look at the Sole brand insoles with the met pad. I'm still trying them out, but I do feel like the met pad isn't quite prominent enough to help as much as I need, but I'll give it some more time.

You can also buy adhesive met pads to stick on your existing insoles.

I've had good luck with these insoles used alongside whatever insole is in the boot. They're super thin, so don't add a ton of volume. They help as much as the $600 customs I had.

Make sure you've got a decent amount of room in the footbox of your boots, especially to allow a met pad to help space them out. Jamming your feet into a narrow boot will crunch the metatarsals together with no room to move or flex.

ElPollo

WKR
I feel your pain, man. I’ve been struggling with a severe foot injury for over a year now and am just starting to see glimpses of the light at the end of the tunnel.

First, metatarsalgia seems to be a garbage can diagnosis for a whole lot of different things that could be wrong. I’d suggest your try finding a podiatrist that isn’t a snake oil salesman, which is a difficult thing to find. If they want to sell you expensive insoles, look elsewhere. I’ve had bad experiences with podiatrists including one who put me in a walking boot for three months and made everything I was going through worse. I finally got some help when I found a chiropractor who focuses on nerve and soft tissue injuries. He basically put me on a physical therapy regimen.

Baiscally, what I learned was that I needed to get out of the stiff and confining footwear and into more minimalist-type shoes. I am wearing the Vivo Forest ESCs pretty much daily now after being able to wear nothing but crocs for a year. Do some Google searches for exercises to rebuild flexibility and strength in your feet. Consider trying sets of calf raises with a wedge or rolled up washcloth under your big toes. And look into picking up a Mobo Board. Their website has a ton of great exercises.

Wish you luck.