Mesa FFT vs Tikka T3

Considering picking up a new CA Mesa FFT. I can’t get my hands on one so looking for those that have taken the plunge. It seems from the limited info I can find that the stock weight issue has been resolved and can they are coming out as advertised now. QC still seams like it’s an issue but not as much as before?

A few things I’m looking for feedback on:

Stock design - how does it handle in positions other than standing? Do you have to reach for the trigger? Can you maintain a decent grip?

Fit and finish- any glaring issues with how these are put together? Are they worth twice the cost of a Tikka?

Accuracy- do these things shoot? Or are the barrels hit or miss?

Thanks all

So…this forum is full of tikka fanboys. I personally think they are over rated. I do have several christensens. All have been purchased in the last 4 years after they brought their barrel manufacturing in house which helped with QC. All of mine are sub .5 moa rifles with hornady match ammo. I do not have the mesa FFT, but do have the ridgeline fft. It is an awesome rifle, turning into one of my favorites. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Gila

WKR
The Tikka action is the only bolt I care to throw. I think Tikka has the best production gun barrels out there. Tikkas are shot at the factory to check for the 1 MOA guarantee. They have made some welcome improvements over the years but some issues still remain:

1) magazines could be a tad longer for over COAL handloads.
2) replace the plastic bottom metal with metal.
3) Have an option for a cheek riser on more models
4) either make the recoil lug integral and/or insert a metal pocket in the stock for the recoil lug.

Anyway that is what I would like to see.

I have 4 Christensen Arms rifles and they all shoot great. I dont have the Mesa FFT but do have a Ridgeline FFT in 300 PRC. Other than getting used to shooting a 300 PRC in such a light rifle i have noting to complain about, and thats on me not the rifle. It is still sub moa.

Stock design - how does it handle in positions other than standing? Do you have to reach for the trigger? Can you maintain a decent grip?

IMO the mesa/ridgeline stock grip sucks all around for shooting. Thats not to say the tikka is great though. Even with the vertical grip adder to the tikkas it’s way too long of a reach for the trigger to me.

OP
O
Thanks for replies so far all. Lots of good content. I have owned and used lots of Tikka's over the years so very familiar with how capable they are. Really trying to figure out if the price jump with the Mesa FFT is worth it and really sounds like no.

@wind gypsy thanks for feedback on stock. I actually really dislike the factory tikka stock grip but the vertical grip is very usable for me. Sounds like the Mesa would be more of the same so really not an upgrade other than weight savings/rigidity.

svivian

WKR
At that price I would take a look at the Springfield waypoint 2020. I have not shot one but have heard good things from those who have. They also have alot of upgraded and nice features.

Gila

WKR
IMO the mesa/ridgeline stock grip sucks all around for shooting. Thats not to say the tikka is great though. Even with the vertical grip adder to the tikkas it’s way too long of a reach for the trigger to me.
I tried the Tikka add-on vertical grip but took it off. It’s too fat to really get a good grip. I wear large gloves so a smaller hand would have more of an issue with it. I use the web of my hand for stability on a pistol grip....casn’t do that with the Tikka add-on vertical grip. I took the add-on beaver tail off as well. It is ok prone on a pack or getting level on a tripod but other than that it just gets in the way when hunting.

Gila

WKR
The nice thing about the Tikka is the upgrades. You can get a custom stock with a Tikka inlet and a custom pre-fit shouldered barrel. If you don’t think you will ever want to upgrade, Sako’s S20 is an awesome rifle with the same barrel as the Tikka. The S20s have been on sale lately with a huge discount.

I tried the Tikka add-on vertical grip but took it off. It’s too fat to really get a good grip. I wear large gloves so a smaller hand would have more of an issue with it. I use the web of my hand for stability on a pistol grip....casn’t do that with the Tikka add-on vertical grip. I took the add-on beaver tail off as well. It is ok prone on a pack or getting level on a tripod but other than that it just gets in the way when hunting.

It sounds like what you want in a grip and what I want in a grip are different. To me, an ideal grip shouldn't be "gripped" and peoples desire to do such is why we end up with all of these sporter stocks that suck as far as supporting your firing hand for good trigger presses.

What I want in an ideal grip:
- Distance from trigger that puts the middle of my pinkie, ring, and middle fingers on the front of grip while trigger finger is in ideal position to easily press stock straight back into shoulder without gripping it
- A palm swell that allows my hand to rest there naturally without having to grip anything
- A good place for my thumb to rest on the top of the stock

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The Tikka action is the only bolt I care to throw. I think Tikka has the best production gun barrels out there. Tikkas are shot at the factory to check for the 1 MOA guarantee. They have made some welcome improvements over the years but some issues still remain:

1) magazines could be a tad longer for over COAL handloads.
2) replace the plastic bottom metal with metal.
3) Have an option for a cheek riser on more models
4) either make the recoil lug integral and/or insert a metal pocket in the stock for the recoil lug.

Anyway that is what I would like to see.
This starts to infringe on their Sako offerings, so no need from their side to include these options.

Sako started selling the Tikka line to have an affordable offering that matched the quality of their current rifles. They made a business decision to offer and price them with certain things “missing” from their full price rifles for a reason.

SDHNTR

WKR
The nice thing about the Tikka is the upgrades. You can get a custom stock with a Tikka inlet and a custom pre-fit shouldered barrel. If you don’t think you will ever want to upgrade, Sako’s S20 is an awesome rifle with the same barrel as the Tikka. The S20s have been on sale lately with a huge discount.

If only they made that S20 not so butt ugly!

Motown

WKR
I do not have the Mesa FFT, however my son and I both own the regular Mesa’s in 6.5 creed. In addition I also have a few T3X lites in various calibers, and also a T3X wideland in 6.5 creed as well.

Out of all the rifles I own I like the Mesa and the Wideland the most. I use them both regularly for whitetails and mule deer and find myself using the Tikka when hunting wide open fields, and the Mesa while in a stand due to the shorter 22” barrel and just being more portable.

A lot of people don't like the Mesa stocks but I do for some reason as it fits me well. I haven’t had any time to hand load for the Mesa yet, but it will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups with a few different factory options I have tried. The Tikka is equally as accurate and sometimes better with 135gr Bergers and a full case of RL-26.