Merino wool

Wmcknight

FNG
Is there any difference in different brands merino wool? I have a Kuiu hooded merino wool shirt that I really like but it’s expensive other brands are cheaper or run more sales than Kuiu. My question is all merino wool products the same (texture / breathable) just different logos on them?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, lots of differences. There are different qualities of the wool itself then there are lots of different blends some add nylon, polyester, elastic or a number of other materials all at different percentages.

Ho5tile1

WKR
For sure there are differences I love kuiu but hate there merino it’s super itchy to me but it has held up well. the first lite merino is super soft and all I use now for merino base layers zero scratch or itchy feeling for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The durability of my Black Ovis and Core4Element merino was not very good. Kuiu and so far SG have been durable. I stay away from cheap merino now.

Kuiu sources merino from a brand from new zealand called Nuyarn. Nuyarn is one of the most cutting edge, award winning merino brands in the world. That being said, a lot of the merino brands nowadays have leveled up. it's no longer as itchy. That being said, you will notice a lot of difference when wearing kuiu. Less itchy, it holds it's shape longer. It dries even faster. First lite Kiln series is also unbelievable. Duckworth makes great US based merino.

Wapiti1

WKR
The best that I have are from non-hunting brands and are blends. More durable, and dry faster than 100% wool. Terramar has a merino line that has been great. Rab is another that I have that has been very durable. Several Amazon brands that are blends have also been good. If you're patient they go on sale often, keep checking places like Steep and Cheap.

All of the 100% wool that I've had lasts about 2 years before it gets a few small holes that grow (Kuiu, Black Ovis, Icebreaker, Ibex). Fine for base layers, but I like wool t-shirts for everyday wear and my wife yells at me if it has holes.

Jeremy

Sinistram

FNG
Yep, there are differences, and I hate admitting that! :LOL:

I, too, was sucked into the cheap merino from various outlets to see if I liked it more than synthetics. Short version, I liked it way more and have found it to be useful in my daily life outside the hunting fields. I ponied up and bought some First Lite shirts and not only is the quality of the merino much better (ain't no itching there, baby), but the actual build quality of the shirt is excellent. The wallet hurt after that one, but I feel it was worth it because of the use they get.

I've also been really impressed with Badlands merino. I bought four of their lightweight t-shirts off Camofire a while back and wear them all the time. Same excellent quality of stitching and merino.

I get the cheaper Am$%^& stuff, just layer it. Some days I'm using 150, some I have the 150, 200 and 400 on. I get cold easy even in the South sitting in a tree barely moving for hours with the wind blowing. I just haven't spent the money on the expensive stuff.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any difference in different brands merino wool? I have a Kuiu hooded merino wool shirt that I really like but it’s expensive other brands are cheaper or run more sales than Kuiu. My question is all merino wool products the same (texture / breathable) just different logos on them?
They're all different. Different feel, different quality, construction, different blends, durability, etc.

I have had good experiences with the Duck Camp Barnburner Hoodie and Giddy-Up Jogger sweats. Duckworth Powder Hoodie is good, but only 50% wool. Swazi Cairnsman is great for a heavy duty wool hoodie, but it's not merino. As far as baselayers I've liked the Duckworth Comet products and Minus33 has some good ones.

My favorite merino products are my Aclima Woolnet base layers and my woolpower vest and sweater.

Last edited:

Tradchef

WKR
I've been trying a lot of different companies. First Lite was never a top one on my list It lasted about the same as the others so around 2 years for the LLano and barely a season with the Wick for me. Decent quality. I use a lot of Duckworth. I like their stuff but quality issues like bad stitching and holes from the factory are common on some pieces, but they are awesome about sending you a new one or repairing ASAP. I am trying out WURU out of Salt Lake now for a baselayer top. So far its solid We'll see about durability. Kuiu is on point. The Nuyarn they use is awesome and WURU does that as well. Minus 33 is really good. Similar to First Lite. Icebreaker is good. Shit, Costco has a good merino if you can find them. Smartwool is nice but I have had durability issues. REI brand is ok. Cheaper but doesnt fit as well. Those are the ones i have played with and that have been pretty solid. Duckworth is made extremely well and is a good contender and they are made here in Montana. They just dont have inventory like most others since they are small so that could be an issue if you need something ASAP