merino wool

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, is merino wool the best base shirt i can wear. I have poly clothes, but after reading about the merino wool stuff I am second guess my choice. Can the firstlite or kuiu shirts useable as just a stand alone type shirt as well as a baselayer? I also am looking for a fleece jacket that is wind proof to wear in the mornings when its cooler, but is easily packed away as it warms up.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I really like Smartwool, but I have a firstlite top as well that I have yet to judge.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Merino is awesome, I wear redram simply because I get a good deal on it, that is for base layer, they are super comfortable. Night and day from poly. I see kuiu products in my future as well.

How about the merino underwear. I was looking at first lite red desert boxer briefs but am worried about them stretching out and becoming uncomfortable, loose and unsupportive. I stopped wearing cotton boxer briefs becasue of this and wear the poly athetic type underwear. I have been looking into exofficio boxer briefs as well. So do the merino boxer briefs loosen up and get baggy?

Red Desert Boxers are the bomb!! I will not wear another pair of boxers hunting ever again.

Plus I am slowly getting rid of anything that isn't Merino for my hunting trips.

Lawnboi

WKR
How about the merino underwear. I was looking at first lite red desert boxer briefs but am worried about them stretching out and becoming uncomfortable, loose and unsupportive. I stopped wearing cotton boxer briefs becasue of this and wear the poly athetic type underwear. I have been looking into exofficio boxer briefs as well. So do the merino boxer briefs loosen up and get baggy?

I wear redram merino boxers. They loosen up a hair, just like a merino top or bottom will. Not nearly as much as cotton. I prefer them over synthetic by far. Less itch to me as they seem to breathe better then synthetic. Along with that i can go 4 days with them without too much stink.

As far as merino goes. I like merino when ill be wearing a set of clothing for a few days without washing. To me thats really the only advantage to merino. Ill still wear poly stuff if im going to be back home to wash it or what have you. Sometimes when its really hot and sunny i still prefer a synthetic top.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Underwear is going to be on my purchase list as well. Not sure what I am going to get though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm a big fan of the minus -33 stuff as well. Of course I also got a pile of the Stoic stuff I use for all my shirts as steep and cheap makes merino not quite so outrageous. :D

Having used the smartwool, first lite, and kuiu I have come to favor kuiu. Mostly for the fit. I used the merino 250 top for nearly everything I do 8 months out of the year, from skiing to hiking, and of course hunting. One thing I've noticed and never been able to understand is the socks...I have probably 5 or 6 different brands of merino wool socks in different weights and some of them smell up like a cotton or sythetic sock after multiple days, and others never seem to...Any thoughts?

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
thinking about getting the either first lite or kuiu base shirts. I assume I can wear these alone . How is the fit on these shirts , I wear 2xl normally and have noticed some clothes run a bit small in size.

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
What is a good light weight jacket that can be worn in the mornings and evenings when its cool but can be easily packed away during the day? Any thoughts?

Save 10% on First Lite

Merino is the way to go for next-to skin layers. Merino wool is lighter, warmer, dries faster and is more breathable than standard wool. First Lite has multiple layers in differing weights that are designed to keep the hunter comfortable no matter the climate. We are an authorized dealer of First Lite gear and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

We are currently offering 10% off all pre-orders to Rokslide members. Use the promo code firslite10 at checkout.

http://www.storycreekinc.com/

dotman

WKR
Merino is the way to go for next-to skin layers. Merino wool is lighter, warmer, dries faster and is more breathable than standard wool. First Lite has multiple layers in differing weights that are designed to keep the hunter comfortable no matter the climate. We are an authorized dealer of First Lite gear and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

We are currently offering 10% off all pre-orders to Rokslide members. Use the promo code firslite10 at checkout.

http://www.storycreekinc.com/

Great to see a sponsor post up and thanks for the discount!