Meopta Optika6 3-18x50mm FFP Field Evaluation

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Oh, I know. Scopes generally aren’t wear items. They either work or they don’t. That’s actually why I found the particular circumstances here interesting. I already pretty much knew the answer, I was just wondering if there was something unique to this scope.

It’s the only time I’ve seen it. I’ve not seen another work, and then stop working with no apparent damage.

nobody

WKR
Have you done a review on a leupold vx5 3-15x56 firedot?
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2x-leupold-mark-5-field-evaluations.278289/

FWIW, I remember at some point hearing/reading from Leupold that the only mechanical difference between the VX3, 5, and 6 is the zoom ratio. Otherwise, they're mechanically identical.

Spoiler alert: they fail miserably.

That said, here's some proof that Leupold can/could make a functional rifle scope if they really wanted to:

Balsak

FNG
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2x-leupold-mark-5-field-evaluations.278289/

FWIW, I remember at some point hearing/reading from Leupold that the only mechanical difference between the VX3, 5, and 6 is the zoom ratio. Otherwise, they're mechanically identical.

Spoiler alert: they fail miserably.

That said, here's some proof that Leupold can/could make a functional rifle scope if they really wanted to:

Dammit I bought one lol. I need a good hunting scope with similar features that does hold up.

Balsak

FNG
I'm looking for 2.5-3 low end 15-18 high-end magnification illuminated 56 mil objective non busy reticle scope for hunting. Any recommendations? Preferably under 2k 1k even better.

Balsak

FNG
While doing some freelance work with Meopta, I have been shooting the Optika6 for 6 months now and have close to 1000 rounds under it with 4 different rifles. It now sits on my deer hunting rifle, a .300 Win that shoots lights out and the 3-18x56 wrings out all the accuracy possible. Tracking has been excellent and light transmission is the best of all the scopes I own. We watched deer in a full moon last weekend at over 100 yards away. I agree this scope is built tough and has the lifetime warranty to back it up. Check out some of Rokslide Sponsor's if you are intertested and maybe they can save you some $. I have the MRAD version on the way, it should be a lot of fun to air out.

IMG_4090.jpeg
I'm interested in one

Ripnbst

FNG
I'm looking for 2.5-3 low end 15-18 high-end magnification illuminated 56 mil objective non busy reticle scope for hunting. Any recommendations? Preferably under 2k 1k even better.
Trijicon Tenmile is close they have a 3-18 and a 4.5-30. Reticles are Mil trees and MOA trees.

[removed pics and text to shorten quote]

On the turrets, not that it really matters but they feel good. It needs a revolution indicator on the elevation, but being that when adjusting the turret doesn’t move up or down....? I do not set zero stops to stop dead nuts on zero. But instead 2.9 mils lower, in any case, without a rev indicator multiple times a day I popped the ele turret up, spun down to bottom, and back up to be positive that it was not a rev off. The windage needs a half rev limiter as well, as there also is no rev indicator either. They also need to mark the windage knob starting at “0” 5 mils each direction. Instead it is marked in a continuous fashion from “0” to “9”.

Setting the zero stop is not really intuitive, and Meopta does not include very good instructions.

One can say that they’ll never touch the windage dial after zeroing as it’s capped, or that the elevation has a zero stop so there’s no need there.... both of those are good ways to end up a full rev off of where you thought you were. Checking elevation and windage zero and revolution is a part of picking the rifle up first thing in the morning, periodically throughout the day, and anytime it has been out of your immediate control. Checking elevation is simple enough, if not as easy as it could be, but windage is a no go unless you dial all the way one direction and count back.

The power ring is good. Has a built in small cat tail, and multiple slots for an extended one if desired.

Parallax: Knob is easy and smooth, and the numbers are decently close with where the diopter is currently set. Not super finicky on parallax.

TBC....
@Formidilosus many thanks for all the work you and Ryan are doing with these tests. Would you be willing to expand on your thought process of setting your zero stop 2.9 Mils lower?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus many thanks for all the work you and Ryan are doing with these tests. Would you be willing to expand on your thought process of setting your zero stop 2.9 Mils lower?

Zero stop below zero so that I don’t have to redo the ZS if I need to rezero. 2.9 or 3 mils below zero to make shooting with the rifle rotated 90° possible. Not really applicable for most.

Is the Optica6 still functioning properly? Have you had more samples to try?
It failed, which broke my heart:

See Form's post #172 in this thread

I'm going to contact Meopta on their website with the link to this thread and see if they have anything to say. Will post if I hear back.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok, you have piqued my curiosity! What does that look like and what purpose does it serve?

No real purpose for most hunting. It’s used for keeping the lowest profile possible above ground.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
It failed, which broke my heart:

See Form's post #172 in this thread

I'm going to contact Meopta on their website with the link to this thread and see if they have anything to say. Will post if I hear back.
Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
No idea. I haven’t really cared to get it fixed as a couple others I am familiar with have had problems as well, though not the 3-18x FFP model. My guess is that mine was a fluke as far as reliability/durability.
A fluke that it passed initially or failed later?