Meopta Meostar vs Zeiss Conquest scopes.

Shrek

WKR
I'm still in the market for another new scope for my back up rifle. Has anyone here used both the Conquest scopes and the Meopta scopes ? I would like to hear your opinion of how they compare.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Meopta's Meopro line is very comparable to the Conquest line.

The Meostar is a step up, more like Swaro z3/z5 or Leica.

Haven't seen the Conquest HD5s yet.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
BB , I'm looking at the 4-12×50 MeoPro with the bdc reticle. I would love to get the swarovski z3 but it is about double the cost. I need two new scopes right now and depending on what zeiss says about the one I sent off last week I may need three. The budget is hurting and I'm trying to work it out. Do I get the z3 and go without a backup rifle or get two of these or two of the 3.5-10×50 zeiss conquest ? The zeiss conquest I sent off has the elevation dial frozen for the second time so I'm beginning to loose faith in the conquest.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

That is the first I have heard of Conquest turret problems. The Meopro is a fine scope, but the BDC is kind of dumbed down.

I like the BRH much better, but the Meopta will work for much less $. I doubt the Meopta optics will leave you wanting.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
The negatives on the Meopta is the weight and the reticle as far as I can tell. I hear only good things about their glass. I'm selling a kahles kx I didn't care for and using that money and some gun money to get it done. I have $1100 right now so two Meoptas are in the budget but only one z3. Hard to decide what to do.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
As for the zeiss , I bottomed out the elevation so I could count it back to center and it froze up and wouldn't come back up. I was going to put it on another rifle because I've sold the one it was mounted on. It did the same thing two years ago and zeiss kept it for about two months to replace the erector. The only thing that worries me this time is that I dropped it when I was mounting it when it came back last time and dinged the objective bell. It worked fine for the last two years but I worry zeiss may blame the drop two years ago and not fix it. Zeiss should have it now and I'm waiting to hear from them. Depending on how they handle this will determine if there will be anymore zeiss in my future.

howco

FNG
Dave,

I have two meoptas/ cabelas euro mounted on 308 wins. A 3x9 and 4x12 both in plex. They have been great scopes to this point. I have about 300 plus rounds on each rig. I also had a rapid Z lock up on me about two years ago. This scope was brand new and going through sight in on a 7mag. I order through cabelas mainly for customer service. I requested a return/refund and a 3x9 conquest without going through zeiss for return. I got odd answers when I first called zeiss, which I explained to cabelas. For the money I used to preach zeiss, this was before this line of meoptas had been introduced as the euros. I am hoping Kenton Industries will do a custom turret if I desire. He said in past it is a matter of having the blanks. To my knowledge Natchezz has the meopta scopes for $50.00 less per model than Cabelas. I am always on the fence when a company switches things up, which zeiss has been doing in a major way, even the Eastman crew have switched over....... for about the third or fourth time:)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I have had the same conquest lock up twice and my friends will not track at all. He turns a click or two and it moves 12" so it's going back too. Zeiss has such a good reputation that I thought my problem was isolated but I'm beginning to think not.

dotman

WKR
Looks like they have both the Meostar and Z3 demos in 50mm :). Heck get the Meostar and then experiment with something else like a Brunton or Minox. Or just get 2 of the 3-10x50 meostars for $650 if they have more then 1 :)

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Dotman , I've been camped out on the cameraland site for a while now. That 3-10 meostar is a beast at 21oz and has no bdc reticle for a reference. I'm looking at the 4-12×50 bdc meopro. The reticle isn't great but you can learn to use it for a reference even though it would not match up well with my 7mm wsm.
I'm counting on the lottery to bail me out of this decision :) . Just two weeks ago I was going with another conquest but I've lost confidence in their erectors.
If Zeiss is going to fix my old 3x9 I may get the z3 and sell the other rifle and forget about a second scope.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Dotman , that has the muzzle loader reticle and I'm a big eye s ope guy. I'm going to have 50mm up front for sure. They have a demo z3 at cameraland for $850 and that is what I'm going to go with. 14.5 oz , 50mm objective , and brh reticle.

dotman

WKR
Dotman , that has the muzzle loader reticle and I'm a big eye s ope guy. I'm going to have 50mm up front for sure. They have a demo z3 at cameraland for $850 and that is what I'm going to go with. 14.5 oz , 50mm objective , and brh reticle.

Sounds like a good plan.