Mega vs super tarp vs bpwd

Okay, yes another "what should I get" thread... I have read everything tagged on here with megatarp, supertarp, bpwd, and still can't decide. Well, I know I want the megatarp, but it is spendy because the whole point of wanting one soon is for the stove. So I am trying to talk myself out of the mega. Here is my potential beef with the supertarp: does the sloping Ridgeline bother any of you? The selling point for me on the mega is the constant height. I am not big, but still, having the situp space throughout looks great. I also think for adding a bug nest in the summer ( bugs are INSANE in Sweden in the summer) it will give me more room.

I know I could get a similar setup w/ Bearpaw for way less money, but will it hold up to extreme weather like I know a Kifaru will?

Will be using this whatever shelter solo 99% of the time, but I always want my gear with me.

Any thing I am missing? Just man up and go for the mega?

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

The bigger sit up room, large enough for you and gear plus stove, dual zipper ends for ease of use and loading, Kifaru quality materials & craftsmanship, and larger size for a nest if needed for bugs all make the Mega the right choice out of the 3 you've listed. I've had them all and liked the Mega the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
I have 16days in the bpwd la garita 3 sheep hunting. Yes it will hold up to extreme weather, I camped on exposed ridglines multiple nights and I was pleasantly surprised how that style shelter bucks heavy wind. The ridgeline "sag" you mention is also a good thing to aware of, no matter how taught of a pitch there will still be a dip in the ridgline which inhibits head room which sucks especially if your putting 2 people in it. I have no experience with kifaru shelters but generally you get what you pay for, not sure its worth the 550 bear bones price tag but thats up to you. I think this year i will try out a single pole mid type setup, mainly because these 2 pole shelters are a bit of a pain to setup by yourself in heavy winds. Have you looked into the SO cimmaron? it might be more comfortable with a nest and stove setup room wise. Also jimmy tarps makes a comparable style shelter you might be interested in heres a good review.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/slee...lpine-basin-review.html?highlight=jimmy+tarps

dotman

WKR
I had a supertarp, only reason I sold is because of lack of head space. It has plenty of ground space for one and gear. I went to a cimmaron and now have plenty of space.

My vote would be Mega just for the head space.

OP
S
I have 16days in the bpwd la garita 3 sheep hunting. Yes it will hold up to extreme weather, I camped on exposed ridglines multiple nights and I was pleasantly surprised how that style shelter bucks heavy wind. The ridgeline "sag" you mention is also a good thing to aware of, no matter how taught of a pitch there will still be a dip in the ridgline which inhibits head room which sucks especially if your putting 2 people in it. I have no experience with kifaru shelters but generally you get what you pay for, not sure its worth the 550 bear bones price tag but thats up to you. I think this year i will try out a single pole mid type setup, mainly because these 2 pole shelters are a bit of a pain to setup by yourself in heavy winds. Have you looked into the SO cimmaron? it might be more comfortable with a nest and stove setup room wise. Also jimmy tarps makes a comparable style shelter you might be interested in heres a good review.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/slee...lpine-basin-review.html?highlight=jimmy+tarps
Checked it out...didn't know it existed, thanks! 545 is steep.... But I am not sure if it is too steep yet...As for the Cimarron and other similarly shaped shelters, I am just not that interested for doing that solo. I like a lower profile, but not so low as to can't sit without my head rubbing the ceiling. Great info so far guys thanks!

Lil-Rokslider
I have a BPWD Luna 6 and I really like it. I know you are not looking for something like it but the craftsmanship if very good. I would not hesitate to buy from them again if I needed to.

OP
S
I have a BPWD Luna 6 and I really like it. I know you are not looking for something like it but the craftsmanship if very good. I would not hesitate to buy from them again if I needed to.
Good to know about the quality of craftsmanship, thank you!

I think you can't go wrong with Jimmytarps.As for Kifaru, I have a Super tarp and really like it.I had Bearpaw make a nest for it that I use during bad bug seasons(great to work with as well)If you plan to sleep two on the shelter than go Mega Tarp

OP
S
I think you can't go wrong with Jimmytarps.As for Kifaru, I have a Super tarp and really like it.I had Bearpaw make a nest for it that I use during bad bug seasons(great to work with as well)If you plan to sleep two on the shelter than go Mega Tarp
Tim, would you say the mega is too big for one? It sure looks big and comfy, just wondering if I would feel like, "wow, this is too much"?

Mega is perfect size for 1 guy. Room for a bed roll, gear, stove, wood pile and moving around without crawling all over stuff. After having all 3 models I really liked the room the mega offers and no would could I "step down" into the Super or Para.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
no,I think you would like it.The mega didnt exist when I got my tarp or I would have bought it
Alot of people are saying that. Thanks for the info everyone, I guess I should stop being a bitch and just buy it. I think if I got something else, I would just be wishing I had got it right the first time, like the 7 packs I have laying around, hehe.

I love my Mega for solo. A guy could get away with a Para or a Super. But it's really nice having room for hear and cooking. Then if I ever make a friend to hunt with there's room for a partner. Plus the weight difference is so slight the extra room is worth it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk