Meeker

Mginn68

FNG
Anyone here hunt in our around meeker, co? I hunted turkeys there last spring. Saving points to possibly elk/mule hunt there in the coming years.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Isn't it a mostly a OTC area? Why would you need points?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Need points for archery bull tag, but its over the counter 2nd and 3rd season for bull tags

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to archery hunt.
Very pretty place.

Super high hunter pressure.

There's a lot of animals but you won't see big groups, just ones and two's. Best herds are on private that you can't touch.

It's all draw-only for Archery. H&H and Welder are the local outfitters and they're awesome people.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted there this last year second season OTC. I don't see why the elk wouldn't be around there during archery season. There's definitely plenty of Mule Deer around. It was really crowded during the OTC hunt and we didn't see any elk where we were hunting.

OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
Hunted there this last year second season OTC. I don't see why the elk wouldn't be around there during archery season. There's definitely plenty of Mule Deer around. It was really crowded during the OTC hunt and we didn't see any elk where we were hunting.
During turkey season only crowd I saw was mule deer everywhere. Ha

OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
Need points for archery bull tag, but its over the counter 2nd and 3rd season for bull tags
I’m still learning a lot about OTC and points areas. I have been buying points for two years now. Is there a resource you use to know which areas are OTC Zoe points ?

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still learning a lot about OTC and points areas. I have been buying points for two years now. Is there a resource you use to know which areas are OTC Zoe points ?
The CO big game brochure shows which units can be drawn OTC for rifle and archery. The units not highlighted will be drawn units. Some units will be otc but private or public land only and some exclude certain areas.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Been going to Meeker for several years in 1st rifle season. Area we hunt is public and doesn't allow motorized vehicles, so it is by foot or horse. Each year see more and more hunters. First year we saw no one other than our party over the week. Last fall, saw multiple people almost every day.

As 7raptor mentioned, you will probably see elk, but normally in those 1-2 groups. Having said that I took a bull a few years back that was still hanging out with 6 cows. But not normal based upon my experience.

I am considering other options, but for this flat lander who probably only has 2-3 seasons left in an aging body, I may stick to the Flat Tops area just because I familiar with it and some of the locals.

OP
M

Mginn68

FNG
Been going to Meeker for several years in 1st rifle season. Area we hunt is public and doesn't allow motorized vehicles, so it is by foot or horse. Each year see more and more hunters. First year we saw no one other than our party over the week. Last fall, saw multiple people almost every day.

As 7raptor mentioned, you will probably see elk, but normally in those 1-2 groups. Having said that I took a bull a few years back that was still hanging out with 6 cows. But not normal based upon my experience.

I am considering other options, but for this flat lander who probably only has 2-3 seasons left in an aging body, I may stick to the Flat Tops area just because I familiar with it and some of the locals.
Well said. I’m 44 and in semi good shape. Ha. Turkey hunting there last spring took it out of me. Humping up those mountains at higher alt…a man can show his age quickly.

Reason why I want to attempt elk with a bow before I get to my age tipping point.

Mosby

WKR
I hunted Meeker once. Tons of people hunting. Guys bringing in their own mules, renting horses etc., and a lot of guys on atv's depending the area you hunted. Trail heads were full and everyone uses the same trail heads. A lot of outfitters in the area, so it is difficult to get away from hunters regardless of how far back in you go. I went second rifle and we did a lot of driving to and from where we stayed. If you aren't towing an RV you are likely to stay in town and that entails a lot of driving to the trail heads and back....which is a big waste of time to me.

We didn't see any elk when I was there but weather was awful and my wife got sick and I had to go home early. I am not one to let other people dictate where I hunt, so I would go back but I would approach the area and hunt differently.

Last edited:

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Meeker is such a nice small town, love the new brew pub. The mule deer are crazy around town and have almost hit them several times. The Elk are mostly on private even when they move sadly, but they can be taken on the public but it involves a lot of hoofing. I averaged 10 miles or more some days and they always seem to be going over the next ridge.

Attachments

• Villa ranch Elk.jpg
    Villa ranch Elk.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 76

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful area. Lots of elk in proximity, problem is that they are mostly pushed onto private sanctuaries, and as someone said above- you wont be able to touch those. Not without $ anyway. On the public it will be you and your closest 3500 friends come hunting season.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Well said. I’m 44 and in semi good shape. Ha. Turkey hunting there last spring took it out of me. Humping up those mountains at higher alt…a man can show his age quickly.

Reason why I want to attempt elk with a bow before I get to my age tipping point.
I'm hoping to get my first archery elk hunt this year. I'll be 66 and knock on wood, still able.

SteveCNJ

WKR

I hunted the Flat Tops last year 3rd rifle and everything was pushed onto private.