Mechanics of terminal performance

jhm2023

WKR
As many of you are aware, forums, to include this one, have threads asking ad nauseum, will "x" cartridge work for "x" animals etc. This is fine, because, who doesn't enjoy reading about peoples experiences and it's good that some hunters are willing to ask questions. It's the opinions sometimes given that have no fact or experience behind them that are funny, like an echo chamber of sorts. Though I've put my fair share of critters in the freezer and seen many others taken by friends and family and have my own opinions based on those experiences, my intent wasn't to talk about my opinions. Instead I wanted to share something I find pretty informative and feel as though it's worthwhile for every good hunter / rifleman to give it a thorough read, regardless of experience level or how many trips you've made around the sun. Disclaimer, this is probably best saved for a slow day with a fair amount of time on your hands. Enjoy!

Deywalker

FNG
I haven't read through it yet but I certainly intend to. I've been thinking about starting a thread with the purpose of compiling a bunch of resources on terminal ballistics so I can expand my knowledge on the subject, and try to weed out the good and bad.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I haven't read through it yet but I certainly intend to. I've been thinking about starting a thread with the purpose of compiling a bunch of resources on terminal ballistics so I can expand my knowledge on the subject, and try to weed out the good and bad.

The above link is decent. However if one googled “fbi terminal ballistics”, “Dr Gary K. Robert’s terminal ballistics”, “Martin L. Fackler terminal ballistics”- they would have all the information they could want on what bullets actually do in tissue, and what matters.

Deywalker

FNG
The above link is decent. However if one googled “fbi terminal ballistics”, “Dr Gary K. Robert’s terminal ballistics”, “Martin L. Fackler terminal ballistics”- they would have all the information they could want on what bullets actually do in tissue, and what matters.
I've done that with Dr. Gary Roberts before but not in a while. My biggest hurdle was the availability of his work. I managed to find a slideshow where he talked about terminal ballistics and 6.8 SPC and another general one where he discussed the performance of different platforms. I'll have to look more into Fackler and FBI Terminal Ballistics.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've done that with Dr. Gary Roberts before but not in a while. My biggest hurdle was the availability of his work. I managed to find a slideshow where he talked about terminal ballistics and 6.8 SPC and another general one where he discussed the performance of different platforms. I'll have to look more into Fackler and FBI Terminal Ballistics.

The base info is all the same- how bullets kill is by destroying and damaging tissue. The mechanisms that cause that damage are simple and can be measured- measure the wound channel in tissue or proper tissue simulate. That’s it. There’s no magic, there’s no math formula, nothing.

As long as the wound penetrates enough to reach vital organs, the wider the wound= the faster things die.