Meateater - Benchmade Boning Knife Meatcrafter

CCH

WKR
I am not knocking higher end knives. For fixed blades, I have a few Bark Rivers, a Benchmade and a Grey Wolf custom in the house. My EDC pocket knife is a ZT-450. I realize those aren't high end customs, but they aren't cheap either. For those types of blades, I really appreciate the higher grades of steel and other features.

My question is how big a deal that is for filet/boning knives? I guess it comes from growing up with Rapala knives and never really feeling a need to upgrade for that purpose. The blade is thin and flexible, takes an edge easily and holds up. I am not by any means saying that it is the equal of a $200+ knife. I am seriously asking how much of an upgrade a higher end steel (and a much more expensive knife) is for that particular purpose.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m so tired of these threads that degenerate into “recreational outrage”, as Rinella puts it. Fitting, I know.

It’s called free market economies, fellas. Is this a stupid, overpriced knife? Is this a brilliant move to capitalize on his notoriety with the MeatEater logo on an excellent product? I don’t know and I don’t care. It’s either going to be a good business move or a poor one. Let the consumer decide that and provide feedback by way of sales. Was the shakeweight brilliant, or stupid... or brilliantly stupid? Time always tells...

The model of providing all content for free is pretty unsubstainable. I would rather see people survive and prosper, myself included. No one is twisting anyone's arm to buy products. if you want to buy it, if not just enjoy the content
i disagree. it might be the most sustainable market there is. The money comes from advertisers and partners. people get tired of something and quit paying for it. But when it is free people continue to listen or pay attention and if people are listening someone new will always pay to advertise or invest.

I love mine so far. Arrived Tuesday. That is not tarnish on the blade. I increased saturation to show textures, and that makes it look possibly rusted. But in reality it's spotless, bright and shiny.

Flexible blade and very lightweight. Shaving sharp, as expected. No serial number. Thawing some quarters over the weekend to debone.
20200616_201731.jpg20200616_201502.jpg20200616_201611.jpg

My only complaint so far is the knife shape makes sheathing it a little annoying. The tip up will catch in the sheath if you don’t do it right. Once I figured it out was no big deal but at first I was worried.

My only complaint so far is the knife shape makes sheathing it a little annoying. The tip up will catch in the sheath if you don’t do it right. Once I figured it out was no big deal but at first I was worried.

Same here. Happened once, then I realized how to do it. Easy once you know. It doesn't hurt anything when it happens. It just stops the knife from seating past the lock on the sheath.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
i am a bonafide knife freak. i love them, but temper the excitement and purchasing of them. i hopefully will buy my last fixed blade in July for my birthday. its a good one, and expensive. hopefully i get to plunge it into a fallen animal. no safe-queens here.

i am also a huge fan of Rinella. my wife calls him my "man crush". i just like how he hunts and eats. he is a good Word-Smith and can tell a relativelly boring story and make it much much better than i should be. that takes talent.

now his knife? meh. i like Benchmade, i have a few, but not a lot and the ones i do have are very very good. i wont buy a knife because of the affiliation with anyone. well, maybe if Jessica Alba made a knife...

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s a great looking knife but too rich for my blood. I’ll give them props though. The first words out of Rinellas mouth when he posted the video of them being available was that they’re going to be expensive. They didn’t hide the cost from anyone so at least there’s that.

Lawnboi

WKR
Great looking knife, in a great shape. I just don’t understand why benchmade charges so much. I had a custom boning knife made by a very reputable maker to my exact spec for cheaper than retail on that thing.

For someone who has one, can you take a picture showing the flex to the blade?

Those of you who have it, how thick is the tip? I have a bark river Kalahari Sportsman, which is great, but the tip is a little too thing and the lack of a guard has almost bit me twice while being covered in blood...

Austink47

WKR
I got to check out one my buddy got. It is a VERY nice knife. Am I going to order one, no. Am I going to enjoy the hell out of it next time we turn a critter into groceries, absolutely. It is like most fancy knives. You can get the job done cheaper, but if it makes you happy, it is money well spent.

Those of you who have it, how thick is the tip? I have a bark river Kalahari Sportsman, which is great, but the tip is a little too thing and the lack of a guard has almost bit me twice while being covered in blood...

You mean width at the tip? I don't have the here (freezer and butcher at my warehouse) but it is thinner and more flexible than I anticipated. I think that will be a good thing, but I haven't used it yet on game.

You mean width at the tip? I don't have the here (freezer and butcher at my warehouse) but it is thinner and more flexible than I anticipated. I think that will be a good thing, but I haven't used it yet on game.
Yea the spine thickness - here's a few pics of the Kalahari sportsman - I like it - but the tip is just so thin it is easy to bend it at an angle (not flex, just bend) if not careful... just was curious if the Benchmade carried any more thickness to the tip.

iqIcKX2h.jpg

STXxECWh.jpg

So my cousin bought me the knife for Father’s Day and I just received it today. The closest to a custom knife I own are a couple Marble Arms knives from back when they still existed in the UP (do they still exist?). I’ve got to say this is one of the nicest knives I’ve ever put my hands on. It just feels right. Is it worth $300? I don’t know. I’m not a knife expert. But it sure feels quality.

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
So my cousin bought me the knife for Father’s Day and I just received it today. The closest to a custom knife I own are a couple Marble Arms knives from back when they still existed in the UP (do they still exist?). I’ve got to say this is one of the nicest knives I’ve ever put my hands on. It just feels right. Is it worth $300? I don’t know. I’m not a knife expert. But it sure feels quality.

Just down the road is Rapid River knife works? I didn't know marble arms made knives ever. Their 'store' in Gladstone doesn't really do P2P sales. They almost turned us away getting some .22 speed loaders last year or the year before.