McGuire ballistics review

amassi

WKR
You are correct. I was looking at the projection length. The design is different and there is no rubber tip like on the lazer. So that may or may not help. I think it does. Maybe you should try it out and see for yourself. That’s all you can do.

I can tell you with absolute certainty it is impossible to make a shorter lighter bullet with a higher bc than the same style bullet they’re both vld solid copper boat tail projectiles. They’re so similar in shape the boat tails have the same angle and length on some of the like weight projectiles.

The lazer tip adds bc

There’s no magic to McGuire bullets that would make them have some exorbitantly high bc.

They appear to work fine, the advertised bc is BS. He’s not the first copper manufacturer to grossly exaggerate his bc. It’s the new trend. The problem is when a bullet is inferior (lead free) and it relies on velocity to achieve its marginal effectiveness then lying about your bc is foolish and leads to dumb statements like the one I quoted of the 128 gr being an 1100 yard projectile out of a 270 Winchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

28bang

WKR
I can tell you with absolute certainty it is impossible to make a shorter lighter bullet with a higher bc than the same style bullet they’re both vld solid copper boat tail projectiles. They’re so similar in shape the boat tails have the same angle and length on some of the like weight projectiles.

The lazer tip adds bc

There’s no magic to McGuire bullets that would make them have some exorbitantly high bc.

They appear to work fine, the advertised bc is BS. He’s not the first copper manufacturer to grossly exaggerate his bc. It’s the new trend. The problem is when a bullet is inferior (lead free) and it relies on velocity to achieve its marginal effectiveness then lying about your bc is foolish and leads to dumb statements like the one I quoted of the 128 gr being an 1100 yard projectile out of a 270 Winchester.

Well, I’ll probably never shoot the 128s. I have the 7mm 168s and I will report back here with my findings.

NK Hunter

FNG

The lazer tip adds bc

You might enjoy reading this:

amassi

WKR
You might enjoy reading this:

Hope he was paid well for that and McGuire signed up as a sponsor.
Someone stating they verified by shot drops on a paid review doesn’t prove anything.

Why don’t one of you guys explain how he’s able to take a bullet with the same form factor of other verified projectiles and enhance their bc 150%?

Someone stating they verified by shot drops on a paid review doesn’t prove anything.

Why don’t one of you guys explain how he’s able to take a bullet with the same form factor of other verified projectiles and enhance their bc 150%?

Saw the same review recently copy/pasted here.

The McGuire bullets do look a c-hair slicker in design than some of the lazer options just because the lazer nose is short in some of them but I agree and am skeptical on advertised BCs.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

It’s here too.

amassi

WKR
Saw the same review recently copy/pasted here.

The McGuire bullets do look a c-hair slicker in design than some of the lazer options just because the lazer nose is short in some of them but I agree and am skeptical on advertised BCs.

Lazer was a handy plug n play for the 125 277 I quoted earlier for that example a shorter lighter bullet had a higher bc than a longer heavier lazer. They might be slightly more slick than the lazer but not 150%

Some of the 30 cal options have the same exact form factor of a heavier sierra matchking or Berger elite. 2 projectiles that have some of the most accurate and verified bc.

I don’t get the new business model of inflating mono bc, it like when nosler released the long range accubond and just seemingly made up the bc to move bullets.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don’t get the new business model of inflating mono bc, it like when nosler released the long range accubond and just seemingly made up the bc to move bullets.

Well…. That’s why. To sell bullets to people that are ignorant. An Oehler 89 is less than $3,000. There is zero excuse for anyone making bullets and selling them not to have one. Absolutely ridiculous.

NK Hunter

FNG

I haven't used them myself yet, so no personal feedback. Like you, I'm waiting in the sidelines for more stuff to come out.

Bluefish

WKR
Lab radar can give a good idea out to 100 yards on velocity loss. Really opened my eyes on a few bullets. Also showed that hollow points really increase drag.

huntnful

WKR
I've never once trued up a copper bullet to meet advertised BC's. On the flip side, I've had to slightly increase BC's on some Berger's and ELDM's to bring the drops down a little bit. Like Form stated, get the damn BC's tested and not estimated. Either buy the stuff or send it off. I have a very bitter taste in my mouth from "estimated" BC's, after constantly coming up 20-30" low at 1000 yards with some other copper bullets lol.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I shot and validated the 125s out of my 6.5 SAUM last year. The stated BC is .6. I ended up adjusting them to .555. Jim's daughter shot a deer with it at 200 ish yards. She made a perfect shot that dead deer ran a long way. While I think Sam makes one of the better copper bullets on the market, But overall it's not going kill as fast as a Berger or ELD-M, and you have to validate and adjust the BC on almost all copper bullets outside of maybe Barnes.

Last edited:
OP

28bang

WKR
I shot and validated the 125s out of my 6.5 SAUM last year. The stated BC is .6. I ended up adjusting them to .555. Jim's daughter shot a deer with it at 200 ish yards. She made a perfect shot that dead deer ran a long way. While I think Sam makes one of the better copper bullets on the market, But overall it's not going kill as fast as a Berger or ELD-M, and you have to validate all copper bullets outside of maybe Barnes.

My bull took 3 or 4 staggering steps, stopped knowing something was wrong. Tried to pick up his front leg and dropped dead. That was at 981yds. This was the 195.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My bull took 3 or 4 staggering steps, stopped knowing something was wrong. Tried to pick up his front leg and dropped dead. That was at 981yds. This was the 195.
That's great. I have witnessed enough with Monos(around 30 animals) to see a pattern that I don't like. If they are doing it for you, keep hammering. As I said, Sam makes one of the better mono bullets. It kills like a Barnes bullet, probably a little better.

amassi

WKR

Because the bullet did very little damage and the shot was far enough away sound don’t spook him. Look at the pics of your recovered bullet and heart. Great shot and piece of rifle work on your part but the elk’s reaction was a side effect of the bullet not because of its design

Even the 160 is listed at .700. How many people have verified that with drops? Is it anywhere close? If it is, I might be on board with paying that much. With a 7 PRC, that's a legit 1000 yard plus bullet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Today I shot the 160 (3208fps) and 168 (3160fps) out of my 28 Nosler to 1040 horizontal yards at 6000ft. I am sure the 7prc will
too. I also took the 128gr 270 caliber bullet to 1040 with my 270WSM (3308fps). It is not difficult to get these bullets to shoot.

OP

28bang

WKR
Because the bullet did very little damage and the shot was far enough away sound don’t spook him. Look at the pics of your recovered bullet and heart. Great shot and piece of rifle work on your part but the elk’s reaction was a side effect of the bullet not because of its design

Very little damage? It blew half of his lung off. Had it been 3-4,000 elevation it would’ve probably done even better. Sure was more than field tip damage that someone said it would be.

OP

28bang

WKR
Today I shot the 160 (3208fps) and 168 (3160fps) out of my 28 Nosler to 1040 horizontal yards at 6000ft. I am sure the 7prc will
too. I also took the 128gr 270 caliber bullet to 1040 with my 270WSM (3308fps). It is not difficult to get these bullets to shoot.
Were you using his bcs? Especially that 128, someone’s very upset by it

gabenzeke

WKR
Were the advertised BCs close?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk