McGuire ballistics review

NK Hunter

FNG
I see got something mixed up with the 103 or 104 gr load vs velocity. Waiting on him to clarify. Seems like a viable bullet option to me.

(Edited the post to show 103 gr)

Last edited:

NK Hunter

FNG
Clarification from Kirby:

"Sorry, the 104.0 gr load is what i considered max for this combo which produced 3623 fps. This load would likely only allow 4-5 firings per case.

The 103.0 gr load is the load i tested for accuracy. Slightly less pressure, should get into that 8 firings per case range with 3591 fps average.

Sorry for the confusion, lots of numbers to keep track of!!"

OP

28bang

WKR
Update:
I shot the 195s to verify finally. First I shot at an elevation of 3200’ and only to 866 yds. There I was using a .343 G7 and everything looking great shooting at a 12” gong. I came back home and knew I needed to shoot out a little farther. This would be from an elevation of 1330’ were I was able to shoot a 10” gong at 1215yds. Wind was blowing from left to right at 10mph I believe. I dial up my scope to what the br4 spitting out and I missed and I was low. So I shoot again to make sure I didn’t do something strange and again I was low. So, I whipped out the Hornady app and got everything matched from my br4. I ended up using a .315 G7 and was making hits holding 7 minutes of wind. The bull I shot at 981 at 700’, I did use the .700 g1. It worked, and it worked because at that distance the difference between a .343 and a .315 is only 7”. After you start going 1,000 + the differences are bigger and would cause you to be miss. Somewhere after 900 it must start going down. This does not deter me from using these and I’m still impressed by them. With the .315 G7 it opened up like that under 1800fps. I said I would be honest and there it is. Next I’ll be shooting the 168s but still waiting on rifle to get done.
IMG_2181.jpeg

NK Hunter

FNG
Finished load development on these with the 7 Allen Mag / 26" barrel. This was the accuracy load below pressure:

160 gr McGuire .284
100.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215
3.750” OAL
3470 fps

Only tested to 750 yd so far due to weather, but they were 0.5 MOA or less at that range. Absolutely NO vertical variation of any kind. Averaged just a bit more than 1/2 moa in horizontal variation but that's hard to quantify when dealing with wind. Did not calculate/validate BC yet. Anxious to do more testing and maybe take a whitetail this fall to see the results.

OP

28bang

WKR
Finished load development on these with the 7 Allen Mag / 26" barrel. This was the accuracy load below pressure:

160 gr McGuire .284
100.0 gr Retumbo
Fed-215
3.750” OAL
3470 fps

Only tested to 750 yd so far due to weather, but they were 0.5 MOA or less at that range. Absolutely NO vertical variation of any kind. Averaged just a bit more than 1/2 moa in horizontal variation but that's hard to quantify when dealing with wind. Did not calculate/validate BC yet. Anxious to do more testing and maybe take a whitetail this fall to see the results.
Nice. Keep us updated. I’m testing 93gr 6mm right now in a 6GT. Might be shooting them long tomorrow. Unfortunately haven’t got my 7 built for the 168s yet.

huntnful

WKR
Are you satisfied with those wound channels? Those are broadhead type wounds, apparently at high velocity impacts. They only get smaller as impact velocity decreases.
I was thinking the same thing. Those internals, especially the lungs should literally be in pieces and unrecognizable IMO. Pretty standard copper wound channels.

OP

28bang

WKR
Are you satisfied with those wound channels? Those are broadhead type wounds, apparently at high velocity impacts. They only get smaller as impact velocity decreases.
Yes I am. 3 bulls dead from 80-981 and not taking anymore than a few steps. All expired within 5 seconds . No tracking. Use what you want. Not trying to convince you. I’ve seen well over 100 dead bulls and their vitals. That’s with Berger’s and hornadys in the mix.

I was thinking the same thing. Those internals, especially the lungs should literally be in pieces and unrecognizable IMO. Pretty standard copper wound channels.

Saw you shot some of the 195s, have you shot them far enough to have a feel for trued BC?