McGuire ballistics review

28bang

WKR
I had the pleasure to shoot these bullets last hunting season out of my 30 SM. I used the 195 with a .700 g1, which i did use during hunting season. Looks close to a .350 G7. Still need to go shoot that to confirm. What separates this mono from others is the tip. It looks like a solid copper bullet from top to bottom but behind the tip is a cavity. How Sam does this, I don’t know, but he has patents on it. This bullet was very easy to load for, I had a load very quickly with RL26. I have a 24” bartlein carbon barrel with a 1:9”. During elk season, I figured my first blood would be under 100yds which would be the norm where I hunt in Oregon. I was wrong, after a morning hunt down low with nothing to go after, we went up in the woods where basically everyone else is at. Pickups everywhere, including the clear cut we were going to check. We got to end of the road and whipped out the trusty swaro nl pures. Spot a legal bull. We got in a rush to setup because the elk were close to another road and could be spotted at any moment. The lighting conditions were tricky but got a range on the bull at 981. I let it fly and hit. Spotter and I watched it go forward a couple steps and do the front leg death spread. As soon as he tried to pick up his front leg again he dropped dead. Getting all the organs out, I punched it right through the heart and got lungs also. There was a hole on the opposite side front leg with blood coming out, I thought it passed through. Skinning him out later the bullet poked a hole on the offside hide and went back under the hide. I was very impressed with this bullet. This shot was at 700ft elevation. I’m going to try and get some close shots with these and will report back. I’ve seen some close shots that Sam sent me and I have no doubt they will do the job! Just wanted people to know these could be a great option and definitely worth a try. Sam says he’s very anal about quality control and it shows with his product. This is one kill only I know but one heck of a first test.961D5F70-A826-4BF6-9B8E-A2F6843796D9.jpeg679863A2-B791-40B5-AE84-61A9076F232A.jpeg966EE596-D429-4D0E-A247-20188419E7A2.jpeg20BBDF5F-8B36-4F71-B2D1-327205EE31D7.jpegD2CB9600-1E7D-4715-8D97-6CD97237B385.jpegCA8D1E98-F1F8-48E9-B59A-8DDF6C6F75FB.jpeg
This was suppressed after season.

It’s like a Terminal ascent bred with a Scenar.
Price seems pretty steep.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
I had the pleasure to shoot these bullets last hunting season out of my 30 SM. I used the 195 with a .700 g1, which i did use during hunting season. Looks close to a .350 G7. Still need to go shoot that to confirm. What separates this mono from others is the tip. It looks like a solid copper bullet from top to bottom but behind the tip is a cavity. How Sam does this, I don’t know, but he has patents on it. This bullet was very easy to load for, I had a load very quickly with RL26. I have a 24” bartlein carbon barrel with a 1:9”. During elk season, I figured my first blood would be under 100yds which would be the norm where I hunt in Oregon. I was wrong, after a morning hunt down low with nothing to go after, we went up in the woods where basically everyone else is at. Pickups everywhere, including the clear cut we were going to check. We got to end of the road and whipped out the trusty swaro nl pures. Spot a legal bull. We got in a rush to setup because the elk were close to another road and could be spotted at any moment. The lighting conditions were tricky but got a range on the bull at 981. I let it fly and hit. Spotter and I watched it go forward a couple steps and do the front leg death spread. As soon as he tried to pick up his front leg again he dropped dead. Getting all the organs out, I punched it right through the heart and got lungs also. There was a hole on the opposite side front leg with blood coming out, I thought it passed through. Skinning him out later the bullet poked a hole on the offside hide and went back under the hide. I was very impressed with this bullet. This shot was at 700ft elevation. I’m going to try and get some close shots with these and will report back. I’ve seen some close shots that Sam sent me and I have no doubt they will do the job! Just wanted people to know these could be a great option and definitely worth a try. Sam says he’s very anal about quality control and it shows with his product. This is one kill only I know but one heck of a first test.View attachment 510152View attachment 510155View attachment 510156View attachment 510158View attachment 510159View attachment 510154
This was suppressed after season.
What was your muzzle velocity and your estimated impact velocity? In my experience with monos, getting anything to upset at that range is impressive. Would love to see wound channel photos of something shot at an impact velocity of 1800 fps or less. I hunted with monos for years but went away from them because of the smaller wound channels they produce on average. That said, there’s a fair chance that we will all be required to use them in the future, whether we agree with that or not.

OP

28bang

WKR
What was your muzzle velocity and your estimated impact velocity? In my experience with monos, getting anything to upset at that range is impressive. Would love to see wound channel photos of something shot at an impact velocity of 1800 fps or less. I hunted with monos for years but went away from them because of the smaller wound channels they produce on average. That said, there’s a fair chance that we will all be required to use them in the future, whether we agree with that or not.

Muzzle velocity is 3050. Impact velocity was approximately 1833. Very impressive I’d say. And again this is at 700’ elevation.

NK Hunter

FNG
Excellent performance and write-up. I like these first-hand accounts with photos. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great experience with the hunt as well!👍

OP

28bang

WKR
Excellent performance and write-up. I like these first-hand accounts with photos. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great experience with the hunt as well!👍

Absolutely. It was a great day, and tricky lighting conditions. I have some of his 7mm 160s that I’ll be shooting here in a month or two hopefully. Very easy to load for as well.
I’ll update this once I shoot some more animals.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome post. How in the frick is he getting a cavity behind that tip. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics

gabenzeke

WKR
I've been itching to get some more real world BC numbers. Specifically on the 7mm versions. I had heard Ryan Avery had experience with these, but can't remember where I read that. Maybe he will chime in...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Bluefish

WKR
He is probably spinning or swaging the tip cavity. If it’s patented, just look up the patent to see how it’s done.
thanks for sharing the results

NK Hunter

FNG
He's working on a higher BC 168 gr for 7mm as well... 7 - 8 twist required depending on velocity. Looking at .750 - .800 G1...

NK Hunter

FNG
Love the bc, but come on. These mono prices are out of sight. Practice is more important than bullet performance, and at 2-3 dollars a bullet, nobody is doing a significant amount of practice.
Yeah pricey for sure. That's why I do dual loads. C&C for practice and varmints etc. Just use the expensive Rolls Royce coppers for big game as I've come to appreciate the benefits of terminal performance they offer. That's my way. Not for everyone, I'm sure.

gabenzeke

WKR
He's working on a higher BC 168 gr for 7mm as well... 7 - 8 twist required depending on velocity. Looking at .750 - .800 G1...
How is he achieving a bc that high when traditional match bullets in that weight class aren't even close to that?

amassi

WKR
How is he achieving a bc that high when traditional match bullets in that weight class aren't even close to that?

It would be much longer than any traditional lead bullet do to the less dense copper. Still those bcs are likely wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk