Mazda CX-7/CX-9

BLJ

WKR
Anyone have any experience with these? Good, bad, ugly??
Been looking at this type of vehicle and they are a little more affordable than the Subaru, RAV4, etc. Any insight? Thanks.

No owner experience, but I had a 6 week rental of a CX-9 and really liked it. Drove well, pretty peppy, and got decent gas mileage. I wasn't crazy about the nav/radio interface but it has been a few years so it might be updated by now. They were never on my radar but I liked it enough that I considered buying one, but wife was set on a Subaru and she got her way.

Owner of the smaller model, CX5. Had it for a few years so far and just to the point where I’m throwing in new shocks. A couple instances of parasitic draw killing the battery and needing to jump it, more often in the cold (replaced battery than warrantied battery). Basic maintenance is easy on them. Drives nice, the awd in winter is nice, mpg’s is ok. We bought it based on reviews and thoughts of them from my mechanic buddy.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Assumed that they were the normal Japanese reliability and relatively easy to maintain.
We’ve had good luck with Subaru and Toyota in the past. Just looking at different options.
I just didn’t know if they had any type of motor/trans issues or model specific issues. Thanks.

ToolMann

WKR
We looked at both and really liked them when shoppingforanewvehiclefor my wifea few months ago. Ended up buying a new Kia Sorrento x-line EX instead. Would have been happy either way.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
We had a cx 9 but it didn’t get as good of mileage as our rav4 hybrid. Not a bad vehicle for the four or five years we had it. Comfortable to drive and ndidnt have a problem in the 100k we put on it.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
All good to hear. Thanks everyone.

I’m not looking for 40MPG, but what were you all seeing? Mid 20’s possibly in the 7/9? Thanks.

We just picked up a cx-90 phev for my wife, it's a little smaller than the minivan, drives way nicer, and given her driving habits we will only need to gas it up about once every three months. Cost was competitive based on the specs, and feels nicer than a comparative toyota/ Honda

We've had it for about 3 days, so no long term review yet.

Reactions: BLJ

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Got rid of a CX7 a couple years ago. Reliable vehicle but didn't like the road noise and for me didn't have enough pep when needing to pass. Not really negatives but not my preference.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
My wife came into our marriage with a bright red 2wd 2016 CX-5. I have been actively trying to run the wheels off this car for 3 years. It hit 100k last night. I want to hate it but its stupid simple to work on and service. Its reliable, and gets 31+mpg. Insurance is next to nothing.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Sounds like these are as I thought. Thanks for the info everyone.

Yoder

WKR
Look at Carcomplaints.com. It's a pretty good resource for reliability issues.

madgrad02

WKR
My parents had a cx-9. Was a nice vehicle, but will agree with ridge runner, and why they ultimately sold it, road noise was ridiculous for the vehicle.

dpat

FNG
Have at2012 CX9 wife drove it until daughter turned 16 then she got it only a 130k on it but no major issues at all with it. The driver door power window motor went out last year it was a easy fix. Overall really like the car and definitely got our money worth with it

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I really like Mazdas. Great value. I agree with road noise. It went down significantly when I bought better tires.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Snow performance as you would expect from an all wheel drive? We don’t get much here, but enough to make the driveway an issue sometimes.
For comparison the Subaru Outback we had did great. Thanks.

P Carter

WKR
Snow performance as you would expect from an all wheel drive? We don’t get much here, but enough to make the driveway an issue sometimes.
For comparison the Subaru Outback we had did great. Thanks.
We had a cx-9 for 8 or so years. Zero maintenance or reliability issues. Literally zero; we did nothing to it other than oil changes. I thought the performance in snow was great; I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than my old ford escape, and there are times I’d rather drive it than my pickup. I’ve never driven an Outback. I’ve heard they are great in the snow, as well.