Mazatzal Wilderness? * Now with a trip report! *

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone frequent this area by chance? We've got a four day (60-80 mile loop depending on how we're making or not making time) backpacking trip planned in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to a Winter change of scenery from Montana :D

The closest Snotel site I found is Baker Butte, they were up to 50", but it's dropped over a foot in a week. Hoping it keeps dropping in the coming weeks, would hate to have to throw snowshoes in for a backpack trip in Arizona :ROFLMAO:

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I can see the southern tip of that range and it looks pretty green. Can't imagine how you'd navigate those slopes in snow shoes.
Have fun, they don't call them the Mad as Hells for nothing!

Weldor

WKR
There's plenty of places to get in, it will be muddy. 80's this coming week in the Valley. Flatline maps are great unit 22N. It will have all the water and trails, roads, etc. Enjoy!

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
We've spent a lot of time up there. It's great for hikes, lots of elevation changes, plenty of opportunity to see Coues and Elk. Strawberry and Pine are nice little places to stop at if near the road. Try the Pie Bar in Strawberry for empanadas. Payson is the larger civilization for anything needed.
My group had elk tags in 22N and we spent around two months camping, hiking, and scouting there in 2022.20221208_072043.jpg

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Never been, but planning to hunt there next January. Please let me know if you see any muleys! Been e-scouting hard and found some spots that look good, but I can't make the trip to scout and would like to just know they're there. Anyways, good luck and have fun. It looks like a beautiful place!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Mad as Hell" I'll remember that one :ROFLMAO: Hopefully we'll be there sans snowshoes!

I bought the Nat Geo map and have the USGS tops loaded in my gps (along w/ sat overlays)- looks like the USGS shows most of the seeps/springs and jives with the USFS layer. I'm thinking the first week of April should be as good as gets for water sources, but we'll be definitely hauling more water than what would for Montana :)

@BigE thanks for the tips; we're going in (and out) from Barnhardt- looks like we're just a stone's throw from Payson

Looks like I definitely need to throw in my binos- I'll report back on any sightings :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barnhardt is a cool spot once you get in there. Expect to see a bunch of critters. Elk, muley, coues, javelina, bears maybe a lions or 2 if you glass for long stints. Take a bunch of pics.

Nice- binos have officially been added to my gear list :).

@mtwarden - My oldest and I were just north of there on our javelina hunt. 2 major snowstorms came through during our trip. Snow in the mountains, including your range in question, and muddy as hell in the desert scrub.
First week in April SHOULD be a great time of year for a trip down there. A wet system could always move through the higher terrain, but big time snow like they’ve been getting on the Mogollon Rim in January/February would be very unlikely for that location and time frame.
I know you’re probably flying light, but if you post up on the tripod and binos, you will see a diversity of critters. And since you’re a gear junky… try out Kuiu’s brush pant in the cat claw and report back.
You’ll have a great time.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are looking at a hiking trip there in May. Let us know how it goes!

will do :)

@mtwarden - My oldest and I were just north of there on our javelina hunt. 2 major snowstorms came through during our trip. Snow in the mountains, including your range in question, and muddy as hell in the desert scrub.
First week in April SHOULD be a great time of year for a trip down there. A wet system could always move through the higher terrain, but big time snow like they’ve been getting on the Mogollon Rim in January/February would be very unlikely for that location and time frame.
I know you’re probably flying light, but if you post up on the tripod and binos, you will see a diversity of critters. And since you’re a gear junky… try out Kuiu’s brush pant in the cat claw and report back.
You’ll have a great time.

Yeah still a fair bit of snow above 6000', hoping three weeks will thin it out. Baker Butte has lost 15" in the last week (but still has 37" of snow :D

Maybe my little tripod :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well we fly out Saturday evening and will start hiking Sunday. We've got a nice 90-ish mile loop planned with the option of shortening it if needed.

Found out rental vehicles are through the roof (shortage of vehicles????). I took a page out of a trip I read about a guy here that rented a U-Haul truck in AK to caribou hunt; not cheap, but much cheaper than a rental from a rental outfit!

Baker Butte is holding pretty steady at 32", so looks like we'll have at least some snow to contend with. Our weather window right now looks pretty ideal (little moisture possible Tuesday).

Got my pack down to 25 lbs all in (5 days of food and 2.5 liters of water (w/ the capacity for another 2 liters if needed))

WmGbo6G.png

Weather should be good. Talked with my buddy in Safford today, it was 82. Big time snow year in the mountains of AZ this year though. Flagstaff has been crazy. Have a great time. N AZ has been my home away from home for several years now.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Thanks! Looking forward to exploring some new country :)

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you have a great time down here! Should be a good time to go. Remember to be careful around the dry washes if there's any chance of rain.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hope you have a great time down here! Should be a good time to go. Remember to be careful around the dry washes if there's any chance of rain.

Thanks! Good point; would be easy for us to forget that.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm counting on hitting at least some snow at 6000'+, hopefully not up to our thighs! :ROFLMAO: