Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil Q&A

id_jon

WKR
Hmm ... I thought the original NXS 3-15 was FFP and in Mils. Pretty sure that's what I had for a while; it was a bomber scope and I regret selling it. Or am I confusing models?
It was, been discontinued for a few years, otherwise I'd have a few.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The SHV 4-14x50mm F1 is almost exactly what the NXS 3.5-15x50mm F1 was. Very close. But yes, that’s probably the best all around hunting scope NF has made.

TheCougar

WKR
That is pretty logical to me.

I sold off my fleet of bushnels to switch over to the maven..didn’t lose much if any money. I doubt one of these break but if it does hopefully they’re still making them cause it’s definitely my favorite scope. Can’t bring myself to use the NF reticles personally
If the Mavens ever come back in stock, I will probably get one due to the deal I can get. That being said, I'll likely only get one.

I’m sitting over here:
Two cans in jail on trust and individual
Two rokstoks on order
Waiting for Maven to restock
NM draw results in 3 weeks

It’s going to be a long month.
I'm on a 2-4 month wait for my dream barreled action and a 4-5 month wait for my dream stock to put it in. I know the pain.

@TheCougar I definitely understand your hesitation with Maven given the differing information on which scopes are good/pass and which ones don’t. As well as the relatively short history.
But man… If it works it works. SWFA doesn’t care if they sell any scopes. Bushnell doesn’t seem to care that their awesome LRHS and LRTS scopes were pushed out in favor of things that aren’t as good (for our group). But both those would still be good scopes for western hunting. The Maven checks all the boxes and at a decent price with a great reticle and all the ‘features’ people want. Plus you can actually get them. Maybe it’s a case of get while the gettin is good?

If you come back this way any time before fall let me know you can shoot mine.

Yeah, I didn’t think it was particularly bad either. But it just leaves a bit not great taste in my mouth.

They consulted with Rokslide before making the scope and had a huge swath of business resulting from it. But they almost sound dismissive when they talk about it. They can’t get Form’s user name right, they lied by saying “only two scopes have passed the test,” and then sorta mocked about others repeating the test.

None of it was outright bad. But when you combine it with their statements that all their scopes are of the same quality, it just sounds deceitful and dismissive.

Like I said, I’m not ditching my scopes. Just leaves an icky taste is all.
Spot on assessment, IMO.

fwafwow

WKR
Yeah, I didn’t think it was particularly bad either. But it just leaves a bit not great taste in my mouth.

They consulted with Rokslide before making the scope and had a huge swath of business resulting from it. But they almost sound dismissive when they talk about it. They can’t get Form’s user name right, they lied by saying “only two scopes have passed the test,” and then sorta mocked about others repeating the test.

None of it was outright bad. But when you combine it with their statements that all their scopes are of the same quality, it just sounds deceitful and dismissive.

Like I said, I’m not ditching my scopes. Just leaves an icky taste is all.
FWIW, I listened to the entire podcast. I'm sure the owners and employees are nice and fun to hang out with. But there wasn't much substance to the podcast (which may be the norm for that show).

As for the drop test, they did mischaracterize it ("they've had variations of this drop test for a while" and "it was one of the first scopes ....I think only two or three total scopes have ever passed"). I don't know that he was lying about it, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, he's clearly not spent that much time reading the test threads. Also, if they sought any design input - from RS or otherwise - I didn't hear it mentioned.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
spent that much time reading the test threads. Also, if they sought any design input - from RS or otherwise - I didn't hear it mentioned.

I was told by Cade that for the RS1.2 there wasn't any design input from "Rokslide". I'm certain I have read confirmation from @Ryan Avery and/or @Formidilosus in one of these threads somewhere.

I was also told that either the RS3 or RS3.2 design(s) or "feature" set was a lot of input and contributions from @Ryan Avery. I've not asked him about that yet, but I'm sure he'll confirm or correct.

Grundy53

WKR
The SHV 4-14x50mm F1 is almost exactly what the NXS 3.5-15x50mm F1 was. Very close. But yes, that’s probably the best all around hunting scope NF has made.
I Have 2 SHV 4x14s. I love them. I'm Looking to pick up a couple more scopes. I would be perfectly happy with the SHV. Is the Maven reticle that superior that it's worth going away from nightforce? Even if it means waiting for them to come back in stock?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I Have 2 SHV 4x14s. I love them. I'm Looking to pick up a couple more scopes. I would be perfectly happy with the SHV. Is the Maven reticle that superior that it's worth going away from nightforce? Even if it means waiting for them to come back in stock?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
In my opinion, yes. No weird gaps. Fat outer posts. The .5 mil box around the center dot is super intuitive and easy to find. Plus it’s a few oz lighter.

I’ve got an SHV and a 4-16 ATACR with the Mil R. They work just fine but the maven reticle is better