Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil Q&A

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Quick question, why didn't you use those pictures you just posted versus the ones showing it mounted on the 6UM? These pictures only reinforce the quality of the riflescope and show exactly how bad it was treated. Or did I miss where these were previously posted?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Quick question, why didn't you use those pictures you just posted versus the ones showing it mounted on the 6UM? These pictures only reinforce the quality of the riflescope and show exactly how bad it was treated. Or did I miss where these were previously posted?

Because I had to find them. I’m not sure if I am not stating this clearly, or you are just missing this- the evaluation was on a new, production scope. The prototype was never intended to be talked about at all. However, after speaking with Ryan, and him with Maven, it’s use adds more information.
Not many pictures were taken of the prototype, and very few in use as there was no reason to. I had to search for pictures to find at all.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Because I had to find them. I’m not sure if I am not stating this clearly, or you are just missing this- the evaluation was on a new, production scope. The prototype was never intended to be talked about at all. However, after speaking with Ryan, and him with Maven, it’s use adds more information.
Not many pictures were taken of the prototype, and very few in use as there was no reason to. I had to search for pictures to find at all.
So how are the revamped SWFAs holding up? Asking for a friend.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks. I completely overlooked it in my initial pass.

Ironically the MOA reticle seems to illuminate the entire tree at max power but the center dot seems more intense if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. It is due to max power and lighting conditions. It for low lighthouse, not daylight. Turn it on just high enough in low light to barely see the dot.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I completely overlooked it in my initial pass.

Ironically the MOA reticle seems to illuminate the entire tree at max power but the center dot seems more intense if that makes sense.

Where did you find pics of the moa reticle lit up? I just got my Mil RS1.2 and wish that more lit up than the dot. My dot is just faintly visible at 2.5 mag.

Where did you find pics of the moa reticle lit up? I just got my Mil RS1.2 and wish that more lit up than the dot. My dot is just faintly visible at 2.5 mag.

I have one of the MOA scopes. I’m sending it back because I *thought* I ordered a MIL version.

Yes. It is due to max power and lighting conditions. It for low lighthouse, not daylight. Turn it on just high enough in low light to barely see the dot.

That seems like a lot of bleed, especially considering it isn’t daylight visible, or at least not full daylight visible.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
That seems like a lot of bleed, especially considering it isn’t daylight visible, or at least not full daylight visible.

I have never found a scope that has partial illumination that doesnt bleed on the highest power setting.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You know what’s interesting… I’ve killed about a dozen coyotes with this scope. Including two at WELL past sunset and multiple early in the morning. The double kill after sunset, I couldn’t really see them bare eyes but I heard them and got them in the scope. Shot one at 150 yards, followed the other in my scope and he stopped about 75 yards further and turned back to look and that was the end got him.

Never once did I have the illumination turned on, in fact, I never even put the battery in the scope.

I got mine yesterday and didn't get it pulled out until late last night.

I put the battery in and looked through in various light settings, mag settings, and backdrops for the reticle. I am honestly can't imagine a hunting scenario that I'd need the light turned on. Maybe I'll find one. I'm excited to get it mounted and use it but still have a hunt going and no time to test it yet

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
You know what’s interesting… I’ve killed about a dozen coyotes with this scope. Including two at WELL past sunset and multiple early in the morning. The double kill after sunset, I couldn’t really see them bare eyes but I heard them and got them in the scope. Shot one at 150 yards, followed the other in my scope and he stopped about 75 yards further and turned back to look and that was the end got him.

Never once did I have the illumination turned on, in fact, I never even put the battery in the scope.
From what I can tell it doesn’t need it. Could probably shave a couple ounces and dollars if they got rid of it. That super tiny dot isn’t really all that useful. Maybe light the tips of the heavier posts, 4 little triangles pointing at the center dot. Also a fan of green illumination. Now I’m playing the make it just for me game though.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've been hunting with the rs1.2 the last several days which have been rainy/overcast. Hunting until 30 minutes after sunset. Well designed reticle and in most cases the illumination isn't needed. On dark backgrounds (cedar trees on field edge) the outer bars can get lost and lose the ability to subtend. In those cases the lowest illum setting is very nice.

That said, at the darkest point of legal hunting (in my location), with illum set on the lowest level, it appears that more of the reticle than just the center dot is illuminated. The center dot is the brightest but it seems that there is a touch of illum on at least the numbers. I spent a good bit of time watching a group of does, a few with last years young still with them, through the scope the last several evenings and the illum (even at the lowest setting) does make the image a tougher to see detail in the dark. At less than the darkest point, I can't see the illum from the numbers, but at the darkest point I can...this does cause some image wash. It's still usable, but it appears more than just the dot is illuminated. At higher illum settings, there is a difference between the level of the dot, the numbers, and the inner reticle. I'm not sure if this same differential remains at all settings or if it changes. It's still usable, but it's not perfect...at least on the one I'm using.

It's my preference to avoid using illumination if I can. There's very few cases where it won't cause some loss of image quality. The greater the area of illumination and the brighter the illumination, the greater the loss of image quality. Mavin did it well in this scope but it's not perfect. It does work to identify the "dot" but at least the numbers...or a shine from them...can be see on mine. In the worst conditions I'll use it if I can't subtend.

I should note the majority of time above was from 6x-8x.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've been hunting with the rs1.2 the last several days which have been rainy/overcast. Hunting until 30 minutes after sunset. Well designed reticle and in most cases the illumination isn't needed. On dark backgrounds (cedar trees on field edge) the outer bars can get lost and lose the ability to subtend. In those cases the lowest illum setting is very nice.

That said, at the darkest point of legal hunting (in my location), with illum set on the lowest level, it appears that more of the reticle than just the center dot is illuminated. The center dot is the brightest but it seems that there is a touch of illum on at least the numbers. I spent a good bit of time watching a group of does, a few with last years young still with them, through the scope the last several evenings and the illum (even at the lowest setting) does make the image a tougher to see detail in the dark. At less than the darkest point, I can't see the illum from the numbers, but at the darkest point I can...this does cause some image wash. It's still usable, but it appears more than just the dot is illuminated. At higher illum settings, there is a difference between the level of the dot, the numbers, and the inner reticle. I'm not sure if this same differential remains at all settings or if it changes. It's still usable, but it's not perfect...at least on the one I'm using.

It's my preference to avoid using illumination if I can. There's very few cases where it won't cause some loss of image quality. The greater the area of illumination and the brighter the illumination, the greater the loss of image quality. Mavin did it well in this scope but it's not perfect. It does work to identify the "dot" but at least the numbers...or a shine from them...can be see on mine. In the worst conditions I'll use it if I can't subtend.

I should note the majority of time above was from 6x-8x.
I find at 6-8X, even in very low light, the .5 MIL “box” that surrounds the center dot is plenty visible and usable to bracket and kill animals to well past legal shooting light.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Mine hasn’t moved off of 6x in a hunting scenario yet. A fixed 6 with no illumination and maintaining the rest of the features at $500 - $600 would be a winner. I imagine it would also be lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
@Formidilosus is the vet wrap for protection/slight padding for knocks or is it to help obscure the scope as it wasn’t yet released?

Was thinking about raiding my wife’s tack room and adding some to mine for some padding. Mine took a spill on lava rock unfortunately on Friday. I checked zero and it was fine but the vet wrap has me thinking it could be beneficial for those scenarios, plus provide a bit of texture for picking the rifle up by the scope.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Been comparing my RS1.2 to my Tenmile 3-18x44. They’re both new, never mounted scopes. Here are the bullet points for my two samples. Your scopes and opinions may vary.

Optical Quality - TM’s a noticeable step up, but the Maven’s still quite good.

Reticle - Maven is a better design and more user friendly. Substantially better at low light. TM almost requires illumination to use at last light.

Turrets - Toss up, TM feels kind of mushy but also tighter like it has an o-ring that’s a bit too large. Maven has better clicks, but spends more freely. Parallax super tight on Maven, but I rarely adjust that on the fly.

Illumination - IMO they both suck with regard to what they chose to light up. TM is way too much and RS1.2 is not quite enough. Trijicon wins in quality, crispness, and bleed through of what’s illuminated.