Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil Q&A

SDHNTR

WKR
So I asked Maven if any other scopes would be built to the same durability specs as the new 1.2. I was told in response that all their scopes are built to the same durability standards. Was I just lied to?

So I asked Maven if any other scopes would be built to the same durability specs as the new 1.2. I was told in response that all their scopes are built to the same durability standards. Was I just lied to?

If the RS1.2 ends of being a dependable upgrade over their existing models, then they probably have a lot of SKUs they will want to sell off before they totally revamp their scope line and admit to something like that

prm

WKR
Technically, the standard may be the same. Their ability to meet the standard may not.

1) Is the 1.2 more capable of maintaining zero when bumped around?
2) If yes, will other scopes be upgraded to this level of ruggedness?

SDHNTR

WKR
Whatever, it’s just a disingenuous response when we know there’s evidence to the contrary. I understand why they won’t answer honestly, doing so would admit to the shortcomings of the rest of their line up. I guess I was just hoping Maven was different since, unlike everyone else, they evidently listened, tried harder, and built a better product.

Marshfly

WKR
Except that ... reliable scopes, with good hunting reticles ... are actually somewhat revolutionary, in that we don't have many to choose from.

Don't get me wrong: this reflects more on the poor design and/or ethics of most optics companies than on this current offering. But Maven have given us a combination that does move things along significantly.

Maven hasn’t done anything that Trijicon, Nightforce, or SWFA has done except for the reticle. This isn’t revolutionary in the slightest. It’s simply paying attention and catching up.

The fanboyism in this forum is what’s revolutionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maven hasn’t done anything that Trijicon, Nightforce, or SWFA has done except for the reticle. This isn’t revolutionary in the slightest. It’s simply paying attention and catching up.

That may be true, but a lot of folks like Maven's optics and their customer service and have wanted them to put out a reliable scope for awhile. It's especially awesome that they did so with one that has a much more useable reticle than most others.

I've been waiting a long time for them to put out a drop test passing scope. It's just a plus that they added in some of the other functionally beneficial features.

Now I can only hope that they somehow work an awesome RF into a bino like the b2 without it weighing a ton more than the competition. They're working on one, but didn't give a timeline or what series it would be in.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Has NF put a good hunting mil reticle in a single scope? Has SWFA made a scope with ZS, and capped windage- that’s also available to buy? Has Trijicon put a decent hunting mil reticle in the Tenmile?

The answer is there is nothing “revolutionary” about any scope at all. They are all evolutional incremental changes. What Maven did was put all of the requirements in a single scope- no one else has done that.

You seem oddly aggressive about this scope and it isn’t clear why? It is showing to be a better hunting scope than the Tenmile- and it’s likely that I have more rounds and use on multiple Tenmiles than anyone. There is only one person that has shot my Tenmiles that hasn’t stated that the reticle is too thin- Ryan. Everyone else, that’s dozens and dozens of people have all wished for a better, more viable reticle- and a bit shorter. Both things that this scope gets right.

I wouldn’t run out and replace Tenmiles I have unless the reticle really wasn’t USABLE for me in low power, however if they continue to behave as they have, I wouldn’t buy another Tenmile for hunting over this RS1.2.

Marshfly

WKR
Has NF put a good hunting mil reticle in a single scope? Has SWFA made a scope with ZS, and capped windage- that’s also available to buy? Has Trijicon put a decent hunting mil reticle in the Tenmile?

The answer is there is nothing “revolutionary” about any scope at all. They are all evolutional incremental changes. What Maven did was put all of the requirements in a single scope- no one else has done that.

You seem oddly aggressive about this scope and it isn’t clear why? It is showing to be a better hunting scope than the Tenmile- and it’s likely that I have more rounds and use on multiple Tenmiles than anyone. There is only one person that has shot my Tenmiles that hasn’t stated that the reticle is too thin- Ryan. Everyone else, that’s dozens and dozens of people have all wished for a better, more viable reticle- and a bit shorter. Both things that this scope gets right.

I wouldn’t run out and replace Tenmiles I have unless the reticle really wasn’t USABLE for me in low power, however if they continue to behave as they have, I wouldn’t buy another Tenmile for hunting over this RS1.2.

Oddly aggressive? Lol. No.

I think this scope is a great option. I just don’t see anything new but a reticle. People are throwing around terms like revolutionary and saying this will replace everything they have. I just think it’s a little over the top is all.

In fact, I have recommended this exact scope as an excellent option to two people shopping in the past couple of weeks. And I will probably own one at some point.

Last edited:

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Has rode in the floor of the truck and been carried everyday for the past week and a half. 20 rounds for zero check today.
9c5defae92540cc094aa3cb90368f434.jpg

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Oddly aggressive? Lol. No.

I think this scope is a great option. I just don’t see anything new but a reticle. People are throwing around terms like revolutionary and saying this will replace everything they have. I just think it’s a little over the top is all.

A little over the top sure. However, people are just happy that it’s a scope that doesn’t seem to have any glaring issues- something that every scope save the SWFA 3-9x has. And some would say no ZS and capped windage turret is an issue.

I can say that like the Trijicon 3-18x Tenmile I have used the RS1.2 pretty heavily. I have shot it from sub 5 yards to past 1,400 meters. Have killed with it at last light at sub 50y, and past 1,100 yards.
The first one has been bunched, dropped, beat on, and legit abused for ten thousand’ish miles in a truck drawer with no padding at all with metal tools under it, beside it and on it. It rode for about 50 forest service miles with a full metal ammo can directly on top of it. With all of that, in use I have no complaints at all.
The Tenmile was great but there are complaints with it. Basically the only other scope that I just use without thought as a simple, functional aiming device is the SWFA 3-9x. I am not saying it’s at that level yet. It’s just so far a really solid scope in all aspects. That to me, and I suspect others, is notable.

Dobermann

WKR
My 3-9 is coming off my RSS special to put this one on.........\

But I'm not selling my 3-9. It will be a proof scope.
I'm thinking of three levels, similar to Form's post about application (someone else can insert the link here, or I'll look later):

- 223 with SWFA 3-9
- 6.5 Creed Superlite, Rokstok with RS1.2 for a lightweight long distance rig
- 6.5 Creed standard/Lite, KRG Bravo, with ZP5 THLR for field comps and dedicated long-range.

That should cover me for everything I do.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'm thinking of three levels, similar to Form's post about application (someone else can insert the link here, or I'll look later):

- 223 with SWFA 3-9
- 6.5 Creed Superlite, Rokstok with RS1.2 for a lightweight long distance rig
- 6.5 Creed standard/Lite, KRG Bravo, with ZP5 THLR for field comps and dedicated long-range.

That should cover me for everything I do.

Exactly.
However I am proofing the maven on my 223 trainer before I pull a nightforce off my hunting rifles for next year. I dont have a ZP5.
I do have a tenmile and like it sans the reticle.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Just can’t do it on my own.

My thought process => I don’t need this. I have enough scopes. More scopes than rifles. I don’t see these as major improvements. I should really stop paying attention. Etc.
Just sell me a surplus SWFA 3-9 or two and your ratio shall be more in favor of the new scope.

Dobermann

WKR
Exactly.
However I am proofing the maven on my 223 trainer before I pull a nightforce off my hunting rifles for next year. I dont have a ZP5.
I do have a tenmile and like it sans the reticle.
Here are the quotes I was looking for:

1703708519019.png

And from post #236:

If someone is saying that they want 20+ magnification to ID the correct animal while behind the gun or whatever, ok. But that isn’t a general purpose huntings scope- not even a general purpose long range hunting scope. It’s a specialty item and it comes with penalties. A 24x, 30mm tube, 40mm objective scope is about the last thing I want to use to ID a spike from a 2 point, especially in lower light (which all these conversations bring up). They are terrible for that use. For that use you should be choosing the highest optical and viewing experience you can- that means 50+mm objectives and no real concern for weight or size.
The Minox ZP5 5-25x56mm is tailor made for that use and absolutely stomps every other scope I, or anyone that has used the one I have has ever seen. [Emphasis added]

Dobermann

WKR
I sold my 3-9 to buy one of these.

The biggest reason, though, was to have the same scope on both my hunting rifle and my 223 trainer.

I sold my SB Klassic and SWFA 3-9, and that paid for two RS1.2’s.
Thanks for giving me the nudge. Between one and three LRTS/LRHSs about to be offloaded ... :)

Jmort1754

WKR
Form- with this being significantly cheaper than a tenmile right now and it being more available do we feel this is the best thing going for a general all around scope?

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Form- with this being significantly cheaper than a tenmile right now and it being more available do we feel this is the best thing going for a general all around scope?
Yes. The tenmile still has weight, zoom range, and track record on its side. But the Maven reticle is more usable and "all signs point up" with durability much like the Trijicons a year ago. It appears worth the small weight penalty, especially if your eyes have trouble with the Trij reticle.

-J