Maven RS.5 4-24x50mm SFP Field Evaluation Q&A

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I 100% agree, so what am I missing here? You drop your gun and don’t confirm zero? Regardless of scope I think that’s bs

Because I actually know what my rifle system will take, no- I do not feel an overwhelming need to check zero if something happens to the rifle. The reality is that anything that would cause a rifle system I use to lose zero, will physically break something on the rifle. It will be/is noticeable and rezeroing isn’t going to fix it.

I was wanting a 4.5-22 Vortex then saw all the drop test. Found the Maven and now this thread. Damn does anybody make a sub 30 oz scope that can hold zero? Has anyone tested the Leupolds or March. Hate to know you gotta spend 2500$ for a scope to hold zero.

SDHNTR

WKR
I was wanting a 4.5-22 Vortex then saw all the drop test. Found the Maven and now this thread. Damn does anybody make a sub 30 oz scope that can hold zero? Has anyone tested the Leupolds or March. Hate to know you gotta spend 2500$ for a scope to hold zero.
You don’t. There are plenty under $1000 that have proven reliable. And fwiw, dollars spent has very little to do with holding zero. Lots of high dollar scopes have tanked.

BjornF16

WKR
FFP: Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44, NF SHV 4-14, NF NX8 4-32, SWFA 3-9 or 3-15, Bushnell LRTS/LRHS 3-12

SFP: NF SHV 3-10, NF NXS 2.5-10

Sled

WKR
Any reviews on the ten mile. Def want mil/mil and illumination.

There are a few around. All are positive. Negatives are that the reticle could be better and it'd be nice to have 10 mils per revolution on the elevation. Not deal breakers though. They may be closing them out. I've seen quite a few deals on them lately.

Most dudes think nothing of re-zeroing a rifle, and think it’s normal. They certainly don’t think of it as a scope failure.
I was that way for a long time, didn’t think much of it, and shoot my rifles enough that it hasn’t bit me in the woods… over time, I started realizing that is normal, but shouldn’t be.

I didn’t think much of it shooting mostly leupold over the years… my last one was the worst of them all, literally about every time I let it sit over a month, it wouldn’t be where I left it… once was really bad, for no apparent reason.

I’m over it, I want the best chance I can get to have my zero stay put, so unless something changes, I will buy scopes that are heavier than I would ever consider in the past, it’s a compromise that seems to come with the territory

Axlrod

WKR
That Vtex 4.5-22 x 50 weighs 21.7 oz. an NXS 5.5-22 x50 weighs 30 oz.
Both have 30 mm main tubes. So the question I would have is how did they come in nearly 28% lighter for the same scope specs? I truly don't know. But I would think through the use of less robust materials and/or leaving out some things that contribute to reliability.

I thing sometimes we get hung up on scope weight, when function should be the first and last question. If a light weight scope has a high probability of failure, why not run open sights?

Quite a few years ago I took a trap shooting class from a guy that was a perennial all-American trap shooter. One of the things he taught was to: Eliminate ALL of the things in your equipment that you could use as an excuse for failure.

Dogman-K

FNG
Sorry, I've been in and out the last week.

In regards to still using the scope, I lean towards yes because I had no issues with the RS.5. But I want to talk to the guys at Maven and get the scope back to them to look at it. Maven is a great company that listens to the consumer and can move faster than most optics companies.
Ryan,
Did you send that scope back to Maven? If so, did you get a response?

It would be interesting to see if they release a newer rs5.2 model with the upgrades the rs1.2 has and if it maintains zero.