Matthew’s VXR Limb Making Noise (Called Matthews)

Hey everyone wanted to see if anyone has had a Matthews bow where the limb makes a creaking/popping sound on the first shot? It will make this sound and then go away but every time I set the bow down and come back to it this happens.

I’m ready to get this fixed and called Matthews. Since I’m the second owner there is no warranty option..

Also they said it could be the limb rubbing so I need to take it apart and smooth it out.

Has anyone tried this or had success with this? Thanks so much.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
My Triax does it. You'll probably get suggestions to put grease in the limb pockets. I did it and it stopped for a very short time but it's back. I haven't pursued the warranty option because I've been so busy and it's a lifetime warranty. I am the original owner.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
My Triax does it. You'll probably get suggestions to put grease in the limb pockets. I did it and it stopped for a very short time but it's back. I haven't pursued the warranty option because I've been so busy and it's a lifetime warranty. I am the original owner.
Thanks for sharing. I am seeing so many posts where this is an issue. I’m going to try and figure this out at grease is what I keep reading but I want a permanent solution or move on.

OR Archer

WKR
Yes. I’ve done this to a lot of bows over the years. I prefer using string wax to lube the pockets at ALL contact points. It’s water resistant and doesn’t put off much if any odor. And it lasts a long time. Another point that may be making the creaking sound is the module. It’ll sound like it’s coming from the limb also. You can remove it and put a small amount of wax on the side that touches the cam and reinstall it.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I’ve done this to a lot of bows over the years. I prefer using string wax to lube the pockets at ALL contact points. It’s water resistant and doesn’t put off much if any odor. And it lasts a long time. Another point that may be making the creaking sound is the module. It’ll sound like it’s coming from the limb also. You can remove it and put a small amount of wax on the side that touches the cam and reinstall it.
What is the permanent solution?

OP
Kyle Wheeler
This is so helpful thank you! Do you have a guide on taking limb pockets off? I have a press but have never taken limbs off.

On the TRX, possibly the V bows, can't remember for certain, it's easy to chip the limbs on the back of the pocket. Not the limb tip, but about 1.5-2" back, the end of the pocket can be sharp. Don't let the limb rock into the top of the pocket, need to pull on it evenly instead of trying to leverage it out.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Okay everyone thank you again for your help. Tonight I took it all part and it was interesting. Here is a photo of my limb. There are some marks on it. It looks like it’s wearing down is this normal? It also didn’t seem to have much grease on it so I cleaned and added bow wax to all limbs and pockets. I also noticed the screw that holds the limbs was missing.. I’m hoping between the bow wax and screw this will resolve it. I have no idea what the screw size is. Once I find a replacement will update with results!

Attachments

• 633947C3-5162-4761-B45F-03D10BD9E510.jpeg
    633947C3-5162-4761-B45F-03D10BD9E510.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 64
Okay everyone thank you again for your help. Tonight I took it all part and it was interesting. Here is a photo of my limb. There are some marks on it. It looks like it’s wearing down is this normal? It also didn’t seem to have much grease on it so I cleaned and added bow wax to all limbs and pockets. I also noticed the screw that holds the limbs was missing.. I’m hoping between the bow wax and screw this will resolve it. I have no idea what the screw size is. Once I find a replacement will update with results!

That nick doesn't look normal at all. Mathews doesn't grease the limbs, Hoyt use to all the time, but I haven't seen it in Mathews, not saying it won't help, but as suggested I'd use wax over grease.

I also can't think of a screw holding the limbs in except the axle bolts, main limb pocket bolt, and the little side pocket bolt that helps support the actual pocket.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
That nick doesn't look normal at all. Mathews doesn't grease the limbs, Hoyt use to all the time, but I haven't seen it in Mathews, not saying it won't help, but as suggested I'd use wax over grease.

I also can't think of a screw holding the limbs in except the axle bolts, main limb pocket bolt, and the little side pocket bolt that helps support the actual pocket.
Thank you! There are multiple little dents I hope this does not mean limbs are going to be defective. Here is the screw I need any idea what size this is?

Attachments

• D904B2FA-958F-4788-B848-998FD22B6E07.jpeg
    D904B2FA-958F-4788-B848-998FD22B6E07.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 41

OR Archer

WKR
There’s always little dings and scratches in there. Depending on the limb finish it can make for a really tight fit. You’ll be ok.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
There’s always little dings and scratches in there. Depending on the limb finish it can make for a really tight fit. You’ll be ok.
Thank you! This is good news. I got the wax on now just need that screw and I’ll give it a go! You all have been super helpful really appreciate everything.