Mathews target bows/TRX series

Can anyone with a fairly experience background chime in on the TRX series of bows?

I am not nearly a Novice, but Archery is not really my first love. I have shot many local 3D shoots. Having just invested in a new Mathews V3X (1st Mathews), I would really like a second, dedicated Target bow. And by Target I mean 3D/Foam. I'd shoot Vegas stuff with it, but that's not really that fun. Would only be training under pressure for pressure shots outside.

I am a Left Handed shooter and AT is VERY competitive for TRX bows on the rare occasion they pop up. IF ANYONE HAS A LEFTY TRX I would be interested to chat.

Asking if these are Top Hat type bows and if the Hats are specific to TRX line and larger diameter axles?

Would a 60/70 be very stupid for TAC type shoots and/or 40 target 3D shoots? I shot a PSE 80lb all summer and fall and it was silky smooth. DW wasn't an issue. Shot 70 on all my other 3D bows also.

I think the TRX 36 has a larger Brace than the 34? Being 5'8" with a 27.5/28 inch DL, is there a clear winner for my build in the TRX series?

They use the same top hats. I was going to purchase a 34 for hunting, but opted for the 33v3x instead, longer riser, angled cable guard so the cam rotation is dead even.

The 36 makes a great 3d bow, that's the direction I'd go for a TRX. I believe my days of 70# are over, mine is 60#. The TRX do draw hard for people. I don't find the draw hard, but I'm use to it. I don't like the current hoyt/pse cycle. They draw hard from 1/4" all the way to the end for me, so it's more what you are use to.

For the price difference tho, I'm not sure it's really worth the gains. The 33 or even a used traverse checks a whole lot of boxes that a 34/36 does only slightly better if at all. These TRX's bring a lot of money if you are needing to purchase new. If you are going to be competitive I'd look to a TRX, if you are really just looking for a play around 3d bow, I'd probably look to a 60 or 65# traverse or 33 and set it up somewhat similar to your hunting bow so it's not a big jump between them.

OP
J
Thank you. I DO SEE a few Traverse pop up left handed. Being new to Mathews, these are NOT Switch Weight (Not a deal breaker, as Im kinda floored it's not a limb swap, but for a dedicated 3D bow, I'd never adjust or tweak that feature).

I'm following on the angled cable guard, but the Traverse is a whole different cam system and feel?

And if my new V3X feels great at 27.5" you'd gamble a matching DL mod on Traverse would feel same DL?

WVHick

FNG
I was in the same dilemma as you. Between the Trx 34 and V3X33. I shot both and the V3X33 held steadier for me.

Thank you. I DO SEE a few Traverse pop up left handed. Being new to Mathews, these are NOT Switch Weight (Not a deal breaker, as Im kinda floored it's not a limb swap, but for a dedicated 3D bow, I'd never adjust or tweak that feature).

I'm following on the angled cable guard, but the Traverse is a whole different cam system and feel?

And if my new V3X feels great at 27.5" you'd gamble a matching DL mod on Traverse would feel same DL?

The draw length will be close, but it does change on a mathews with letoff. I prefer the leroff options on the traverse over the x tho.

The angled cable guard doesn't amount to anything with a target bow, I was just referring to the choice of a 33 over a 34 for a hunting bow and nock travel with broadheads.

I have two friends that are lefties and Mathews shooters, I think one of them is getting ready to unload two different traverse, he had a 36, it was recently sold but it might possibly be available too.

Interms of the "feel" I put the traverse and trx series more similar than either to the sw cams. But that's just me.

OP
J
Thank You.....I'd be interested if those guys are considering moving a bow or 3. A Traverse is currently available in LH on AT. You have me thinking

Yooper

WKR
I recently picked up a used TRX 34 that I'm setting up for my 3D and western hunting setup. Personally, I love the linear draw of the TRX cams. No hump and dump into the valley. Just a steady pull to the cable stops. The SW cams on the most recent Mathews hunting bows just didn't do anything for me at all, but that's all personal preference. I'm currently up to my ass in snow up here so my outdoor shooting is on hold until later in the spring, but shooting limited distance in my basement and I'm really liking the TRX. I previously had a Traverse and I'd definitely consider that as well. To me, the TRX holds better, but the Traverse is a close second in my opinion.

Holocene

WKR
Dear OP, I'm in your shoes as well. I'm a left-handed hunter who is starting to dabble in target bows...

For your purposes and setup, a used Traverse with 75% mods could fit the bill. With those mods instead of the 85%, you'll get more of a target bow feel. Bigger rollover, but higher holding weight which has a zippier release. When picking limb poundage, maybe think about the kind of shooting you'll do most of the time and pick and arrow build and speed you want and then decide what poundage will get you to that speed. For example, some outdoor field events have max speed limits around 290-300 fps +/- a few feet. 70# will help you get speed, but 60# sure feels better when shooting high volume 3D and target during the non hunting season.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but the Halon X Comp is an underrated bow in my opinion. It's conceptually a hybrid of the TRX series and the Mathews hunting bows from around 2016. I bought one last year, threw on 75% mods, and actually hunted with it since I'm a long draw guy (31.5") and the string angle was more obtuse and comfortable. It's a 37" ATA, 7" brace height bow. For an inexpensive, dedicated target rig, you might be really happy with that and only have to drop $600 or so.

If (and it's a big if) you can find a TRX 36 or 38 in your specs for not much more, that would fit the bill as well. They will have a longer riser so feel more like a dedicated target rig.

Yes, all these adjust with top hats. Jesse Broadwater has a phenomenal Vimeo series on setting up and tuning a Mathews bow using them and a lot of his personal tricks. It's only and about $80 but worth every penny for the little secrets and nuggets of bow setup wisdom you'll get.