Matching a half-out to a Deep Six

DoubleA

FNG
Hey all, looking for a little arrow advice. Right now I am shooting Iron Will 125s on an Axis Long Range 4mm with the Deep Six inserts/collars/etc. I'm looking to add a couple of mechanicals for long follow up shots and a grouse arrow to my quiver this year.

To save a few bucks and be able to use standard thread 125 mechanicals (can't seem to find a 125 deep six mechanical), I ordered some of Eastons 4mm match grade inserts, which will also take a standard thread Zwickey judo point for the grouse arrow.

The Easton inserts make the overall tip-to-tail an inch longer, so my question is, is it better to have the mechanical/grouse arrows an inch longer and the same weight, or cut the mechanical arrows an inch shorter so they end up being the same length as my fixed head arrows, but weigh 9 grains less?

Any other obvious solutions to this out there?

You're splitting hairs...it won't make any appreciable difference either way.

Sevr and Schwacker offer mechancial heads with Deep Six threads BTW. There may be other D6 mechanicals that I'm not aware of.

Reactions: Zac

Bump79

WKR
You're splitting hairs...it won't make any appreciable difference either way.

Sevr and Schwacker offer mechancial heads with Deep Six threads BTW. There may be other D6 mechanicals that I'm not aware of.
Yeah he's just saying he can't find 125 deep six.

@DoubleA I'd just use a 100 grain deep six with a 25 grain heavier deep six insert. Seems like the easiest solution to me. What weight are you using right now?

The other solution I'd do is use a 4 fletch vane. Unless you already are, then use a heavier vane. What's your vane configuration now?

OP
D

DoubleA

FNG
Yeah he's just saying he can't find 125 deep six.

@DoubleA I'd just use a 100 grain deep six with a 25 grain heavier deep six insert. Seems like the easiest solution to me. What weight are you using right now?

The other solution I'd do is use a 4 fletch vane. Unless you already are, then use a heavier vane. What's your vane configuration now?
Thanks guys. Yea, I had thought of using a heavier insert as well, that's probably the route to go. I'm currently using a three fletch with AAE Max vanes and my arrows are 485 total. @Mighty Mouse I hadn't seen the Swhacker heads, thanks for the link - are those 58 bucks a piece?!

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Evolution may be able to match your overall front weight with a glue in. You never mentioned how much that is. At some point Trifecta will have a cut off glue in available as well.

Zac

WKR
Thorn also has a glue in that you can screw Fact weights into the rear, the head starts at 110.

Bump79

WKR
Thorn also has a glue in that you can screw Fact weights into the rear, the head starts at 110.
I've got a few packs laying around. Fly fantastic. I can see how they take a lot of energy though.

Zac

WKR
I've got a few packs laying around. Fly fantastic. I can see how they take a lot of energy though.
If your just trying to put another arrow in at a further distance then I think they are a great option.

nphunter

WKR
I’d look at Evolution or Thorn glue in heads as well. With evolution you will be 160gr with the collar. Your D6 inserts are 20gr unless you went with IW inserts that are heavier. 15gr difference isn’t going to make much difference and they will have less drag than the fixed head so they may be very close POI. Under 60 yards 15gr won’t be noticeable anyway.