Match bullet jacket thickness

WKR

WKR
How does the berger J4 jacket compare to that of the Eld-m? Who's is thinner?
And what about sierra?

How much thicker are the so called hunting counterparts? (Eldx,tgk, etc...)

Taudisio

WKR
I don’t have any bergers or eld-m’s cut. I’ve cut up a pile of others. I also want to tag in to see more photos!

Not the exact bullets you are asking for, all 6mm Left to right, 90gr eldx, 87gr vmax, 90g Nos BT (hunting), 80gr Nos BT (varmint), 90gr TGK, 85gr Sierra HPBT, 85gr Speer SPBT (medium game)IMG_3388.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t have any bergers or eld-m’s cut. I’ve cut up a pile of others. I also want to tag in to see more photos!

Not the exact bullets you are asking for, all 6mm Left to right, 90gr eldx, 87gr vmax, 90g Nos BT (hunting), 80gr Nos BT (varmint), 90gr TGK, 85gr Sierra HPBT, 85gr Speer SPBT (medium game)View attachment 736076
What stands out to me is the jacket thickness in the base area of the Nos BT bullets.

Taudisio

WKR
What stands out to me is the jacket thickness in the base area of the Nos BT bullets.
They are also noticeably harder to cut. That’s tough to show with a photo though. The TGK has a much thicker jacket all the way around than I was expecting.

TxLite

WKR

Not the exact bullets you are asking for, all 6mm Left to right, 90gr eldx, 87gr vmax, 90g Nos BT (hunting), 80gr Nos BT (varmint), 90gr TGK, 85gr Sierra HPBT, 85gr Speer SPBT (medium game)View attachment 736076
I love seeing stuff like this

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
They are also noticeably harder to cut. That’s tough to show with a photo though. The TGK has a much thicker jacket all the way around than I was expecting.
Wow, you aren't kidding, that tgk looks to be double that of the sierra next to it.

Thanks for the pictures.

How do you cut the bullets; hacksaw, bandsaw, Dremel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ElPollo

WKR
Yeah, I think that is the big downside of that bullet.

Taudisio

WKR
Thanks for the pictures.

How do you cut the bullets; hacksaw, bandsaw, Dremel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I bought a jewelry saw off Amazon for like $15, then I run some steel wool over them to clear the jacket. It’s definitely not the best looking, but it gives me the info I am looking for.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I'd really still like to see the berger J4 compared to an Eld-m if anyone has that.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Also, those pictures of the TGK are pretty eye opening. I was considering using the 110gr .257 as a lighter option in my 25 cals but think ill just stick to the 133 and 134. Its too bad that the Tmk doesn't have as much support as the tgk.

Petey308 on the longrangehunting.com forum has cross-sectioned a bunch of bullets with measurements. FYI

eoperator

WKR
I'd really still like to see the berger J4 compared to an Eld-m if anyone has that.
Something that is not visible or measurable is the actual jacket hardness. I could be completely wrong on this but it seems as if sierra has a harder jacket material, the audible sound while cutting sierra bullets is higher pitched.

Wrench

WKR
Something that is not visible or measurable is the actual jacket hardness. I could be completely wrong on this but it seems as if sierra has a harder jacket material, the audible sound while cutting sierra bullets is higher pitched.
Nosler has a couple of hardness' in their bullets.