Marmot Precip vs OR Helium --Budget rain

kpbrown31

FNG
Anyone else have their Marmot Precip inside white lining just disintegrate and shed all over your clothes? I bought one used with little use and the lining went bad fast. Seems everyone on here loves their Marmot Precip, so maybe I just got a bad one...but now considering the OR helium rain jacket for a budget rain jacket/pants. I don't frequent out west at the moment so not wanting to drop a bunch of money for a few years yet. Open to other suggestions.

i just posted a similar thread bc my precip disintegrated too. mine did last several years though ended up getting a north face venture 2 new for cheap. it barely raains here though. heliums are on sale for OR's sale

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Once the inside starts to degrade it’s toast. But they’ve lasted long enough for the money for me.

I’ve got the helium pants and they’re great. I wouldn’t spend all day in them or beat brush with them, but they weigh nothing and work well for random showers.

Edited to add: if you’re looking at the precip and helium for about the same price, I’d go with the helium just based on my experience with the pants. The last couple precips I bought i found for ~half the price of the helium.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
None of my MP has a white liner? I'm not sure if that's a newer model because mine were bought years ago and I've never had them fall apart. Mine have worked great for years and years of tough use.

Great post! I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve tried to do some research but as always first hand experience trumps everything.

OP
K

kpbrown31

FNG
Once the inside starts to degrade it’s toast. But they’ve lasted long enough for the money for me.

I’ve got the helium pants and they’re great. I wouldn’t spend all day in them or beat brush with them, but they weigh nothing and work well for random showers.

Edited to add: if you’re looking at the precip and helium for about the same price, I’d go with the helium just based on my experience with the pants. The last couple precips I bought i found for ~half the price of the helium.
Yeah I just saw the helium line on sale at a couple places and it made me consider it over the Marmot. Glad you like it!

I have a couple of wet trips in my helium I bought last year. They work pretty well. Light. Disappear in your pack. I wouldn’t want to bust a lot of brush with them. They feel like they would shred. I sized up so o can put them on over layers.

if you like OR, give the foray jacket a look too. Heavier and more durable than helium but still pretty cheap.

Bump79

WKR
I'd give the SKRE Nebo a shot. They have the old pattern on clearance and it is really nice, breathes well and is really light.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a large in most stuff, my large helium pants fit but are snug when worn over regular pants. But they would certainly not fit over puffy pants.

Agree on sizing Up on the heliums if you want them to cover layers. I am a 2xl in most tops and XL bottoms. I went 3XL upstairs and 2XL down in my heliums. I will pay a small weight penalty and deal with a little baggy fit because I want to be able to layer them on top of just about anything, including a puffy.

sndmn11

WKR
Pants run small too?
I am a 36-38" waist. I wear large in first lite corrugates and order 36" waist in the fixed waist pants. From hylete, black diamond, north face I order my gym shorts XL according to those size charts.

OR's size chart says I should be an XL and that is what my pants are. They have a few inches stretch in the waist, and are about as loose as corrugate in the leg. I don't think they would smoosh all the insulation in puffy pants, but surely halfish. I was a catcher all through college and most would say I have bigger quads and @KickinNDishin says I have a wonderful bum.

Broomd

WKR
Just had my MP jacket in the kayak while floating the Grand Ronde R. In Washington ths weekend. That coat is still in perfect shape and 20 years old this year!

*zap*

WKR
Best to have one set of high end and 1-2 sets of lower end rain wear that is lightweight. The military orc industries rain gear (has pit zips) is very good but heavy so it is only used for close to home/vehicle outings. not very packable but it save wear and tear on the packable sets.

wgonfan

FNG
The REI lightweight rain gear is pretty decent and light - probably pretty close to the marmot gear just lower cost

cams

FNG
Recently got a Marmot Precip from REI on clearance $69 + tax.
Hope it last at least a couple of seasons.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I stepped up a level to the Marmot Minimalist. Pac Lite gore tex. Bought it on sale for around a hundred bucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk