Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Leupold VX-6HD 4-24X52

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • March Compact 2.5-25x52

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a scope to put on my custom built 7mm prc once it’s done. Only wanting advice on these scopes. Please give me first hand experience, not “I heard” “my buddy” “supposedly”. Pros or cons

I have the 2.5-10 NSX on both my custom hunting rifles. By far my favorite hunting scope I’ve owned so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in the results. I have UM putting a 7mm PRC together for me right now and they suggested the 4-32 NX8, but I’m leaning towards the 4-16 ATACR.
I do not have one so take this with a grain of salt…but I have read the ATACR is bulletproof and has great glass. However since the entire rear spins to zoom, many consider that an annoyance with needing to mess around with the scope covers. Again just all hearsay

pbroski

FNG
I have 2 NF NX8 4-32x50. I use them on my range guns and they're great for that. For hunting rifles I use NXS 2.5-10x42 (I have 3) or NX8 1-8x24 with FC-DMX reticle.

The March has the most finicky parallax out of the 3, phenomenal glass and probably the most tactile turrets as well. If it wasn’t for the parallax it would be top of the list.

VX6 has great glass and easy to get behind with eye box and parallax. Turrets probably the softest feeling.

NX8 has great glass as well, a pickier eye box and mid tier for parallax. Solid turret feel.

NX8 would be my choice, but would be looking into a 4-32 if you plan on running that 20x zoom a lot. Performance falls off near max zoom and the eye box tightens up. But in the mid range it’s a great optic.

Reliability would go NX8, March, VX6

Macintosh

WKR
You could not pay me enough to put a second focal plane 24+ x scope on a hunting rifle. 10x, no problem. 24x, 32x nope, HAS to be a FFP for me. People do it, but to me its a liability and renders the reticle useless at anything except max power, which is much too high for 99% of the shots I’ll take hunting. Fairly sure that eliminates 2 of your 3 options.

Last edited:

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first NF NX8 4-32x50 FI several years ago and recently bought two more they're great. I also have a few March 3-24x and like them specifically for their light weight and pretty good glass but only buy them when they have a cheap sale for more than $1000 off and never at their regular prices though. Haven't ventured buying more March scopes after buying several of the Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56s and Sightron SVIII 5-40x56s and Element Optics Theos 6-36x56s and Maven RF.4s 5-30x56s and of course NF NX8s and Arken EP5 5-25x56s.

i just bought a nx8 and very happy with it. Its bulletproof and i trust it. If you get a leupold pold expect to site it in again after every hunt. Cant speak for March.

gearguywb

WKR
I use a FFP 4-32 NF, FFP, on my true long range gun. It has accounted for several elk.

I have a couple of rifles with the SHV 2.5-10 that are set up for closer to medium range stuff. Love the scope for the durability, weight, size, and cost.

I do not have one so take this with a grain of salt…but I have read the ATACR is bulletproof and has great glass. However since the entire rear spins to zoom, many consider that an annoyance with needing to mess around with the scope covers. Again just all hearsay

It's not hearsay - it's fact:

I don't run a rear lens cap while hunting due to this. Also the 5-25 ATACR has weird tunneling at lower mag.

I love my 4-32 NX8's. Glass is not noticeably inferior, zoom is crazy and eyebox isn't bad. Lighter too, and cheaper.

That said, I'd be hard pressed to buy another NX8 over the Maven RS1.2....

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
It's not hearsay - it's fact:

I don't run a rear lens cap while hunting due to this. Also the 5-25 ATACR has weird tunneling at lower mag.

I love my 4-32 NX8's. Glass is not noticeably inferior, zoom is crazy and eyebox isn't bad. Lighter too, and cheaper.

That said, I'd be hard pressed to buy another NX8 over the Maven RS1.2....
Thanks for the info. I just dislike giving out “advice” on a product I don’t have first hand knowledge.

Tell me more about the Maven. Why do you like it better than the nx8

Thanks for the info. I just dislike giving out “advice” on a product I don’t have first hand knowledge.

Tell me more about the Maven. Why do you like it better than the nx8

I made the rookie mistake of marrying myself to MOA like almost every new Hunter. I'm coming around on why Mils are functionally superior. So that's just my reticle style selection. Aside from that:

Maven is cheaper by almost half
Maven's MIL reticle is superior for hunting
Maven is lighter
Lifetime Vortex style warranty (not that NF doesn't take care of customers)
Maven has proven very robust so far

Despite all the data, I still somehow trust my NF for inherent ruggedness. Just longer track record I guess.

Search up Form's testing as well as others here on the new Maven. Nothing else to my knowledge has been so thoroughly crowd tested and tortured and it is still shining so far.

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of Maven, I'm a Maven newbie and only just recently bought Maven Binoculars and two Maven RS.4s one each in Mils and MOA and the latter purchased from our very own Ryan Avery used in great condition for a very reasonable price. It's the second RS.4 5-30x56 after the first one in Mils I tested to be fantastic, actually at least just as clear as my NF NX8s. Only nit pick the parallax knob is a little stiff on both I have. Biggest fan is their FFP reticles are by far the easiest to see on their lowest magnification settings out if all other FGP scopes I've ever looked through.