Mans best friend - shooting vs euthanasia

bpa556

FNG
Just for clarity, euthanasia is “the practice of intentionally ending life to prevent further pain and suffering”.

An instantly-bullet or a lethal injection are both euthanasia.

I made my stance clear about 7,000 pages ago…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZmark

WKR
Just for Clarity: Another take on it.....................Percentage wise, more people deserve a brutal death than dogs.

Especially those that get a dog and then don't take good care of it.

Went through it in March - similar situation as it relates to the dog and my connection to hunting through him. I highly recommend having the vet come do it at your home. You can be holding him/her as the vet goes through the process. First med put Winston into a deep sleep, the next put him down while he was in a deep slumber. Worst day ever, that dog was my world for a long time. I couldn’t comprehend putting a bullet in his head instead of holding him and petting him as he passed.

Oregon

WKR
My family has a minimum of 5 dogs at all times.
Christmas morning, 2016. 0200. It was time. Called the only Vet in town. No answer.
Most miserable I've ever been. Still have flashbacks. I hated every second. Still do.

dogcat

FNG
Got to the vet and let them help. Been there several times. A bullet is quick, messy and you may mess it up and hurt your dog. The shot is easy and stress free for the dog.

I posted a "memorial" thread awhile back for my lab, Moose. Vet came to the house and he went peacefully. He deserved that.

intunegp

WKR
I’m just going to leave this right here.
Ferrell_Crying.JPG

Bandit66

FNG
Figured we'd take the "do you hit your dog" to the next level.

When it's time to say goodbye to your best friend, have any of you thought about doing it yourself? I got my German shorthaired pointer (Trigger) 12 years ago when I was young and dumb (21 years old). I was new to hunting, as new as you could get to bird dogs and still an immature pup myself. My mother told me a needed that dog like I needed a hole in my head, ha! Fast forward to 2023, Trigger is 12 years old, the best dog any of us could ask for and is on the decline. He is a good bird dog (not perfect due to my insufficient knowledge in bird dog training in his younger days but se still get after it), a great guard dog, a great family dog and a great life companion. He has been with me on the majority of my big game scouting trips, hundreds of bird hunts, multiple hikes and camping trips and has just seen more wild land than the majority of people I know and even more than most of my hunting buddies. He now has a few health conditions that has made me come to the realization his life isn't endless. I'm estimating 1-3 years left with Trigger and the lower number is probably more realistic than the higher number. As of now, euthanasia in home (or possibly in the field on a camping trip if that's possible) is the way to go for multiple reasons. I am 33 years old so I am by no means an "old timer" but I have thought about possibly shooting him myself. I'm not sure if anything a single person says in a reply to this post will sway me in either direction but a conversation with a close friend made me feel that I at least wasn't crazy but part of me feels like I should be the one to do it. Maybe not a stranger or his vet. Saying I will do it is a whole lot different that actually pulling the trigger on your dog though. I don't know how to classify my relationship with Trigger, whether that would make your guys reply's any different. I don't have kids, I have spent more time with my dog over the past 12 years outside of home than any one person. I don't necessarily view him as my child like a lot of younger folks view their dog but I don't view him as just a dog as most older folks and adults with kids and a family view a typical dog.

So just to get a different prospective on things, I figured on this forum I may find some people with a similar relationship with mans best friend. Maybe get some opinions or some pros and cons of going either way. This should be interesting none the less.
One thing i will never regret doing was putting my Flat Coated Retriever Diesel down myself. He gave me a lifetime of unconditional love and loyalty. The least i owed him was the end of his suffering. I had a hole already dug and a blanket next to the hole. I carried him to the blanket and layed him down on it. I then spoke softly to my best friend and offered him his favorite treat, cheese. I told him i loved him and put the barrel of a 9mm pistol between his ears, closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. Death came for him instantly and his last movement was to wag his tail. I took that as his final goodbye to me, thanking me and telling me he didnt hurt any longer. I wrapped him in the blanket and gently laid my best friend in his grave. I placed a coin on top of the blanket and filled in the grave.

Byrdman

FNG
Nobody want to have to do it yourself but sometimes there is no choice. When your life long friend looks at you and says I have suffered long enough and it is time, you just have to say ok and take them for that last walk or carry them to their favorite spot and do what nobody wants to do. I had to be there when my childhood dog got to that point after many wonderful years and I would never take back that memory.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Dumb as a post but we love her and she hunts well enough. Only two years old and reading this thread made me feel real shitty about going through the end times.

Attachments

• DC042F4D-3B53-48CD-9243-10EC287F44C0.jpeg
    DC042F4D-3B53-48CD-9243-10EC287F44C0.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 818A6563-6938-42A1-AAFF-34ED9E6D61C2.jpeg
    818A6563-6938-42A1-AAFF-34ED9E6D61C2.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 16