Main elk food source in September at 10-12k feet elevation

ElkNut1

WKR
It's good to have a plan with multiple backups for sure! Hunt areas that few to no hunters will venture into. If using Trail Systems you'll need to get fairly deep to minimize hunting pressure. (5-10 miles) Personally I prefer hunting no more than 2 to 2-1/2 miles as the crow flies from my rig. I choose areas to park & hunt that shows no access. I just bushwack, that in itself removes 95% of hunting pressure on OTC or Draw Tag elk hunts.

I will use my Iphone & Paper Maps to look areas of interest over prior to getting to new areas. But the real payoff is getting to these areas a day early & driving all over the place getting a lay of the land and where most camps are. I then choose areas I can visually see where there are no roads or trails leading into those areas. That's where the disturbed elk go. It doesn't take many such areas & I'm into elk!

I bugle as I go searching for a response. I cow call very little, I reserve that for once the elk are found. Once located I will test the waters with a few cow calls as I close the distance to see if there is any interest, If no response from them I put it away for good on that encounter. It will be bull sounds only. (Don't fall into the youtube trap & challenge every bugling bull you hear.) What Kind? That depends on the aggressive nature of the bull located. If aggressive responses are received then I close the distance to 125 yards or closer before working him. -- If the bull is not aggressive & only bugles once or twice as I close & I feel is in or near his bedding area then I will need to setup further away but generally not over 200 yards if possible. On this bull I will Advertise/Display on the perimeter of his bedroom. I give him time to show as I annoy the hell out of him with my bag of tricks. (bull sounds--no cow chatter) Nothing Challenging unless it comes down to that as he engages me. He will most likely come in silent to size me up. This requires a tight knit setup where the bull MUST come to bowrange before he can see the source of my calling.

So what you should be taking from this is there's 2 solid ways to call in & kill bulls with these tactics. Aggressive bulls & Non aggressive bulls. Watch the wind religiously & have awesome setups before committing to calling elk your way. --- This is what I do in mountainous timbered country.

Yes, there are times casting ones sounds or tossing rocks/sticks to direct an oncoming bull if he's not taking the route you need him to. Of course don't move once you've caught sight of his approach. -- Sure there's more a guy can do but these two tactics have been money for me!

ElkNut

Last edited:
It's good to have a plan with multiple backups for sure! Hunt areas that few to no hunters will venture into. If using Trail Systems you'll need to get fairly deep to minimize hunting pressure. (5-10 miles) Personally I prefer hunting no more than 2 to 2-1/2 miles as the crow flies from my rig. I choose areas to park & hunt that shows to access. I just bushwack, that in itself removes 95% of hunting pressure on OTC or Draw Tag elk hunts.

I will use my Iphone & Paper Maps to look areas of interest over prior to getting to new areas. But the real payoff is getting to these areas a day early & driving all over the place getting a lay of the land and where most camps are. I then choose areas I can visually see where there are no roads or trails leading into those areas. That's where the disturbed elk go. It doesn't take many such areas & I'm into elk!

I bugle as I go searching for a response. I cow call very little, I reserve that for once the elk are found. Once located I will test the waters with a few cow calls as I close the distance to see if there is any interest, If no response from them I put it away for good on that encounter. It will be bull sounds only. (Don't fall into the youtube trap & challenge every bugling bull you hear.) What Kind? That depends on the aggressive nature of the bull located. If aggressive responses are received then I close the distance to 125 yards or closer before working him. -- If the bull is not aggressive & only bugles once or twice as I close & I feel is in or near his bedding area then I will need to setup further away but generally not over 200 yards if possible. On this bull I will Advertise/Display on the perimeter of his bedroom. I give him time to show as I annoy the hell out of him with my bag of tricks. (bull sounds--no cow chatter) Nothing Challenging unless it comes down to that as he engages me. He will most likely come in silent to size me up. This requires a tight knit setup where the bull MUST come to bowrange before he can see the source of my calling.

So what you should be taking from this is there's 2 solid ways to call in & kill bulls with these tactics. Aggressive bulls & Non aggressive bulls. Watch the wind religiously & have awesome setups before committing to calling elk your way. --- This is what I do in mountainous timbered country.

Yes, there are times casting ones sounds or tossing rocks/sticks to direct an oncoming bull if he's not taking the route you need him to. Of course don't move once you've caught sight of his approach. -- Sure there's more a guy can do but these two tactics have been money for me!

ElkNut
So you park your truck on the side of the road and walk into the woods, as opposed to going up a trail for a few miles and then hopping off?

ElkNut1

WKR
For the most part yes. I rarely use trails as they are people magnets. When elk hunting I don't want to see people just like elk don't want to be around people! (grin)

I don't just park anywhere, I've scoped out the lay of the land for many miles as I drove around. I find countless areas with great elk potential where trails or roads do not enter. That in itself keeps hunters out!

There are times I will use a trail at dark to cover ground but then I dart off of it & head to areas elk would not be able to hear a hunter calling from that trail.

ElkNut

LaFever

FNG
This is an article I found concerning elk feeding habits