Main elk food source in September at 10-12k feet elevation

Maverick1

WKR
I’m going out in September for OTC archery in Colorado. I understand elk eat grasses and forbs but what does that mean at timber line high elevation? Should I be looking for open areas with grass along timber? I’m aware I’ll be in some steep country but have not stepped foot in the area yet just e scouting. I’m mainly wanting to know what food source I should be looking for, plenty of water around. I’m planning to head up there at least 2 separate weekends to camp and burn some rubber scouting. I have lots of other areas for backup places with lower elevations around 8-10k. I’ll be staying mobile unless I find elk and then I may bivy in. I can expand more on area in private messages, would rather not drop a google search spot to share with 500 friends.
You know….I’ve killed 15 elk with the bow in the last 15 seasons. (Mostly hunting OTC units, with a few draw tags over those years.). I’ve never killed any of those elk over a food source or given it much thought. (I’ve heard them eating acorns and seen them eating aspen leaves when I’ve gotten in close a few times, but that was way into the mountains without any openings nearby.)

I focus instead on their likely bedding areas and movement patterns, using the predictable daily patterns of rising and falling thermals.

After my first couple of years hunting the edges of large meadows and openings (like hunting deer) I haven’t gone back to those techniques. IME elk weren’t using those areas during legal shooting hours, and on the exceptionally rare occasion they were, I had no way to either intercept them on the way there, sneak up on them when they were in the open, or have a chance of calling them close enough to my position for a shot with the bow.

OP
SilentPursuit
You know….I’ve killed 15 elk with the bow in the last 15 seasons. (Mostly hunting OTC units, with a few draw tags over those years.). I’ve never killed any of those elk over a food source or given it much thought. (I’ve heard them eating acorns and seen them eating aspen leaves when I’ve gotten in close a few times, but that was way into the mountains without any openings nearby.)

I focus instead on their likely bedding areas and movement patterns, using the predictable daily patterns of rising and falling thermals.

After my first couple of years hunting the edges of large meadows and openings (like hunting deer) I haven’t gone back to those techniques. IME elk weren’t using those areas during legal shooting hours, and on the exceptionally rare occasion they were, I had no way to either intercept them on the way there, sneak up on them when they were in the open, or have a chance of calling them close enough to my position for a shot with the bow.
Thanks, I’ll definitely do some research on how to find bedding areas. I know there’s a specific slop degree range they like I just can’t remember it right off hand. I assume with pressure they might change bedding areas and habits?

Poser

WKR
Thanks, I’ll definitely do some research on how to find bedding areas. I know there’s a specific slop degree range they like I just can’t remember it right off hand. I assume with pressure they might change bedding areas and habits?

2 years ago, I walked right up on (both startled each other) a huge bull bedded on a 40 degree slope. He was in a tiny mule deer bed up against a tree trunk. No idea how he fit. I was plowing down the hill to get some water and he stood up right in front of me. I thought he was going to gore me for a second. After he bounded off, I looked at the 2x3’ foot bed and couldn’t make sense of how he was laying in it. That, of course, is an extreme exception, but don’t dismiss the steep stuff as a place elk won’t bed. They do like their benches and flat areas, but they also move around a lot and will bed in between. I find bedding areas relatively easy to identify, you go there and can easily determine that elk have and do bed there, but your odds of showing up to actually find elk there may be 1:10 depending on how much available there is.

OP
SilentPursuit
I’m definitely working on my calling skills, once located is stalking the best when solo? I figured cows will be where the food is at which means bulls won’t be far away.

Maverick1 - Now this is spot on by this poster. I too have never considered food sources during breeding/rutting times, I could care less! In arid country I do consider water sources of all sorts but that;s about it. For me, I call to locate, once located the hunt now begins!​

ElkNut

OP
SilentPursuit
2 years ago, I walked right up on (both startled each other) a huge bull bedded on a 40 degree slope. He was in a tiny mule deer bed up against a tree trunk. No idea how he fit. I was plowing down the hill to get some water and he stood up right in front of me. I thought he was going to gore me for a second. After he bounded off, I looked at the 2x3’ foot bed and couldn’t make sense of how he was laying in it. That, of course, is an extreme exception, but don’t dismiss the steep stuff as a place elk won’t bed. They do like their benches and flat areas, but they also move around a lot and will bed in between. I find bedding areas relatively easy to identify, you go there and can easily determine that elk have and do bed there, but your odds of showing up to actually find elk there may be 1:10 depending on how much available there is.
I have been in some bedding areas out here but had a hard time determining if it was deer elk or moose bedding to be honest.

ElkNut1

WKR
Unless you are hunting around agriculture areas with alfalfa fields & the such don't worry about what they eat! In Sept feed is everywhere & elk can & do move around with hunting & predator pressure. so they do not go to the same spot daily or weekly, it can be a crap shoot!

Locating bedding areas can be found in several ways! The most productive when hunting timbered country with few openings is calling. (Primarily Bugling is best) Bugles can reach out a long ways. If you hear bugles the 1st hour of light or before then elk are in their feeding area. Once it gets 9 a.m. & later elk are in or near bedding area for the day. This is where they are most vulnerable in timbered mountainous country. I do not walk into the bedding areas but hunt the perimeter of it instead. I call them out of there & make them come to me when no breeding is happening which is most days! (grin)

In more open less mountainous country with juniper, pinion, cedars & sage you will find elk will be in random areas to bed & are easier pushed out by hunters or other bulls, They are tougher to call in but it is possible. I prefer calling elk in cover over glassing & stalking, just my preference.

ElkNut