MagnetoSpeed Sporter/Suppressor Hack

JGRaider

WKR
I love the MS chrono, as I could count on one hand the number of times it didn't register a reading, after hundreds and hundreds of rounds fired through it. We all know the Sporter doesn't work with suppressors, as the bullet path winds up being too far from the magnets on the bayonet. Here's an easy workaround to make it work every time, at least it did for me over the weekend. I've been tweaking some loads for my newly chopped and suppressed 7mm08, and I chrono'ed 25 rounds of 120 BT's with 45gr Varget, and 25 140AB's at 41gr Varget. I got 50 consecutive readings, not one error.

The "trick" (winds up being an easy one at that) is to go to Harbor Freight and get a vial full of rare earth magnets, think they cost around $3.
MS2.jpg

Stack these little magnets (they're very strong) on top of each other until you get the bullet path to 1/2" or less. This is how it looked on my YHM Resonator K. I stacked 3 in front, and 4 in back. I scientifically measured bullet path by sticking a cleaning rod through the suppressor and into the barrel. I had my sensitivity setting on Hi 1. Worked like a champ.....hope this helps someone else.

MS1.jpg

TX_Diver

WKR
I just turned the sensitivity up and was able to get readings on my .223.

If I start having trouble with that I'll consider this too though.

Well that’s interesting do you feel the velocities are accurate? Also how do you like your yhm kcan?

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
While the K can isn't quite as quiet as my Resonator, it does a fantastic job of suppression, and with YHM's quick detach muzzle brake I think that helps as well. Several people at the range next to me commented on how nice that small can is. My son has one on his CTR 260 and it does a great job as well.
I do feel velocities are accurate. I was at 3095fps with 120's and the 24" barrel before chopping. Avg fps after chopped was 2975. FPS at full length with 140 ABs was 2820, after chopping is at 2725.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Cool idea. Pretty slick. I have a Model 70 heavy barrel that my Magnetospeed mounted to works fine, but due to barrel thickness there’s a pretty good gap between it and bullet path. I’m sure there is room for one or two magnets & it might be interesting to validate a few rounds with & without magnets. By the way, you can also get small rare earth magnets on Amazon if you don’t have a retail source nearby.

Weldor

WKR
Great idea! You could always verify velocity by borrowing a standard chrono. Run em and see the difference.

drake2h

FNG
I’ll have to try this. Any issue with the suppressor getting too hot and melting the plastic on the Magneto?

I love the MS chrono, as I could count on one hand the number of times it didn't register a reading, after hundreds and hundreds of rounds fired through it. We all know the Sporter doesn't work with suppressors, as the bullet path winds up being too far from the magnets on the bayonet. Here's an easy workaround to make it work every time, at least it did for me over the weekend. I've been tweaking some loads for my newly chopped and suppressed 7mm08, and I chrono'ed 25 rounds of 120 BT's with 45gr Varget, and 25 140AB's at 41gr Varget. I got 50 consecutive readings, not one error.

The "trick" (winds up being an easy one at that) is to go to Harbor Freight and get a vial full of rare earth magnets, think they cost around $3.
View attachment 469391

Stack these little magnets (they're very strong) on top of each other until you get the bullet path to 1/2" or less. This is how it looked on my YHM Resonator K. I stacked 3 in front, and 4 in back. I scientifically measured bullet path by sticking a cleaning rod through the suppressor and into the barrel. I had my sensitivity setting on Hi 1. Worked like a champ.....hope this helps someone else.

View attachment 469392
Haven't had that happen yet, but I do watch for it.
Would the sporter work for air guns?

Awesome!! I have one of these coming today and I regret not buying the V3 a lot less now!

Juan_ID

WKR
Interesting, I have the sporter too and have shot a fair amount of rounds through it suppressed and never had any issues.