MADE IN THE USA LIST

zog

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great idea for a topic, and I appreciate your opening lines - keep it positive.

Having stuff made in China is not a crime, they are just trying to stay marketable. But it should be CLEARLY marked, as much of it already is, so we can decide for ourselves not to buy it. I hate over-regulation, but laws that require clear easy to find disclosure need to be strict and enforced.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Someone mentioned NightForce. They do not grind their own glass. It’s sourced from Japan on the higher end scopes. Not sure on the lower end stuff. They do a lot of assembly in Idaho, but source glass elsewhere.
Optics is a tough one. Many of us on this forum spend a lot of money on optics and it is quite difficult to tell where they are sourcing from and how much assembly they are doing here. One brand name may have different models made in different countries with differing percentages of assembly in USA. As much as I like these optic companies they are not very forthcoming about their sourcing, or at least it's not easy to find on their websites.

Of course their purchasing people need to find competitive sourcing to keep their costs competitive, balancing against sacrificing quality.

As far as I have read, quality optics are ground only in Japan and Austria, and unfortunately more China made lenses are creeping in. Anybody who is in the optics business can only find lenses made in one of these three countries.

Does anyone here know if this is correct?

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Great thread! Could we get this organized into a sticky? Maybe by type of product, and then maybe to delineate on a spectrum from:
  1. 100% made and sourced in USA, to
  2. 100% NOT made in or connected with China (including no parts sourced from Chinese-owned companies), with details.
I'm not saying I would never buy again something connected with China (I have to for some items), but I'd just like to know.

It would also be good to have a list of items that are really hard to find within 1 or 2 (phones - impossible, and maybe batteries are tough?)

fwafwow

WKR
Cloud Defensive says at least its Optimized Weapon Light (OWL) is Made in USA (I love it), but I wonder about components. And it is shipped with a Nitecore charger, which I *believe* is Chinese. (Not throwing stones - I just bought one.)

Unrelated to Cloud Defensive - it seems to me that if you have to ask, then there is probably something the company doesn't want you to know. I recently was looking at an item that is said to be "fully designed in Boulder, CO". I emailed and they said that their products are made in China, but they are in the process of moving production to Vietnam. I was born in '70, and would never have thought that I'd be pleased to hear that answer. (Not 100% Made in USA, but an improvement.)

btindall

FNG
It would be nice to have a list of companies that not only make their products here in America but use all American made components. Kifaru is one of the only companies that do, that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gulch LLC uses only Berry Compliant components in their products. There are also the ONLY company to show all there sourcing and cost on their website. You get to see a full break down of every product. A true 100% transparent company.

mtnkid85

WKR
Does anyone know of any running shoes made in US still? Asics used to do some, but now it looks like only there old man/lady "walking shoes" are. Google doesn't seem to think theres much.

ODB

WKR
Optics is a tough one. Many of us on this forum spend a lot of money on optics and it is quite difficult to tell where they are sourcing from and how much assembly they are doing here. One brand name may have different models made in different countries with differing percentages of assembly in USA. As much as I like these optic companies they are not very forthcoming about their sourcing, or at least it's not easy to find on their websites.

Of course their purchasing people need to find competitive sourcing to keep their costs competitive, balancing against sacrificing quality.

As far as I have read, quality optics are ground only in Japan and Austria., and unfortunately more China made lenses are creeping in. Anybody who is in the optics business can only find lenses made in one of these three countries.

Does anyone here know if this is correct?

Yes, I don’t know if any glass is ground here on a large commercial level. I have no problem with Japanese glass. After WWII there was a bit of a free-for-all and a lot of the German lens designs and technology ended up in japan.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I don’t know if any glass is ground here on a large commercial level. I have no problem with Japanese glass. After WWII there was a bit of a free-for-all and a lot of the German lens designs and technology ended up in japan.
Ditto that. I trust Japan far more than China. I still say I wish they'd be more open about their sourcing though.

Reactions: ODB

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
People Never learn, When this is all over, they will still buy all the non-American Products.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread! Could we get this organized into a sticky? Maybe by type of product, and then maybe to delineate on a spectrum from:
  1. 100% made and sourced in USA, to
  2. 100% NOT made in or connected with China (including no parts sourced from Chinese-owned companies), with details.
I'm not saying I would never buy again something connected with China (I have to for some items), but I'd just like to know.

It would also be good to have a list of items that are really hard to find within 1 or 2 (phones - impossible, and maybe batteries are tough?)
It getting tougher and tougher to identify. If you read up on where cars are made, for example . . . a plant in Mexico assembling a Dodge 2500 (where mine was made) might install a water pump made in Japan who assembled it from bearings, shafts, and seals from Taiwan. Many of the components still come from Detroit, but more and more they come from specialty factories - who knows where their suppliers bought all the small parts to make the components?

Last edited:

Torrent50

FNG
Looks like you might have to take SixSite Gear off the list. Their site and Facebook is gone and they filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy early in April. Guess their lifetime warranty on the stuff I have isn't much use anymore.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Does anyone know of any running shoes made in US still? Asics used to do some, but now it looks like only there old man/lady "walking shoes" are. Google doesn't seem to think theres much.
New Balance high end running shoes are still made in the US

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zog

Lil-Rokslider

That's very good to know! I thought it was hopeless - I buy NB because they are my favorite, and honestly gave up looking at the labels thinking all the good shoes were asian made. Very good to know NB is US made.

I already abandoned Nike year before last when they did that ad campaign in support of kneeling for the anthem.

Last edited:

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Weatherby, Mathews, Tooth of the arrow broadheads, Rage broadheads, Lakewood cases

Are you sure about weatherby? My dad won a rifle at RMEF this year and the gun said made in Japan.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's very good to know! I thought it was hopeless - I buy NB because they are my favorite, and honestly gave up looking at the labels thinking all the good shoes were asian made. Very good to know NB is US made.

I already abandoned Nike year before last when they came out in support of kneeling for the anthem.
Not all NB are US made, just the higher end ones, but still nice to have that choice available.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you sure about weatherby? My dad won a rifle at RMEF this year and the gun said made in Japan.

Some Weatherby rifles are made in Japan, but the higher end ones are made in WY.

mtnkid85

WKR

Sorry, I said Asics in my original post but after looking at New Balances site, it was NB I meant. There only USA made shoes are "walking shoes", they look like they would be nice to work in but I was hoping for some trail runners.