Mack Bros action

bmart2622

WKR
Anyone have any first hand experience with the Mack Bros action? Seem to be reasonably priced, wondering how they stack up to a Defiance or an Alterra action

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a Mack Bros. on my Nosler 21. Very nice action, clean machine work and it functions like a champ.

At some point, a Defiance or other custom action might be "better"...but once you get into this level of action, they're all pretty darn good.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have one on my Nosler m21 as well, thing is solid. Super smooth, feeds flawlessly, ejects every time. Have had zero issues with it. - matt

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Have one on my Nosler m21 as well, thing is solid. Super smooth, feeds flawlessly, ejects every time. Have had zero issues with it. - matt
Overall how do you like the rifle? Seems like I couldn't piece a rifle together for the price of the Nosler

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Overall how do you like the rifle? Seems like I couldn't piece a rifle together for the price of the Nosler

I honestly love the thing. Its super accurate, feels great, lightweight and is great to pack around. It's just a fantastic hunting rifle. Mine is a 28nos, so it kicked pretty good, but the muzzle brake and now suppressor tamed it quite a bit. It's like shooting a 243 or something now. - matt

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 Evos. I had a defiance anti and a tenacity and I like the Evo better. My anti had terribly heavy bolt lift. I might try one again one day to save weight. The Evo just feels better to me. I don’t care about the integral lug or prefits. I build hunting rifles and prefits are all contours and lengths I don’t want anyway.

rondog643

FNG
I honestly love the thing. Its super accurate, feels great, lightweight and is great to pack around. It's just a fantastic hunting rifle. Mine is a 28nos, so it kicked pretty good, but the muzzle brake and now suppressor tamed it quite a bit. It's like shooting a 243 or something now. - matt
Good to know - mine should ve arriving in a few days in 30 Nos. What brake did you go with?

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good to know - mine should ve arriving in a few days in 30 Nos. What brake did you go with?

I use a dead air key-mo muzzle brake, becuase i use a key-mo quick detatch mount on my suppressor. Its a great break on its own, but there are a little better ones out there

I have 4 Evos. I had a defiance anti and a tenacity and I like the Evo better. My anti had terribly heavy bolt lift. I might try one again one day to save weight. The Evo just feels better to me. I don’t care about the integral lug or prefits. I build hunting rifles and prefits are all contours and lengths I don’t want anyway.

Did you look into how the trigger may have been impacting stiff bolt lift on the defiances? Seems like that can have a lot to do with timing things. You can get a prefit in any contour you want, just not off the shelf.

Unckebob

WKR
Stack-up how and with which action(s)? Are their certain features you are wanting?

A friend currently has a Mack Bros SS Evo and Bighorn SS Origin, I have Defiance Ruckus and Ti & SS Lone Peaks, and we both have a medley of factory & worked-over R700s.

Most people seem to gravitate to talking about how things feel or how smooth they are. Defiance and Lone Peak are smoother. Mack Bros is more mechanical. Obviously, Mack Bros doesn't have integrated rail or lug. Origin is CRF, all others are push feed. Mack Bros has trigger hanger, others have trigger pins. All the spec differences are out there.

Mack Bros is the most economical, but recently increased their price. If budget is the driving force, get the Mack Bros. I think the widespread availability of prefits for an Origin paired with the ability to swap bolt heads makes the increase in cost for the Origin over the Evo worth it. If price isn't a consideration, I'd take a Ruckus or Fuzion over the others.

Does anyone make a Prefit for it or can it take a Savage/Remage threaded barrel? I went with an Origin because I wasn't sure.

I have a Defiance AnTI on an 6.5 and a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion on a 300WM.
I am debating on going with the Mack Bros Titanium for a 300WM build next. With Defiance almost doubling in price overnight, my builder has been using Mack Bros lately on several builds.
Anyone have comments on the Titanium vs the SS?

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
Did you look into how the trigger may have been impacting stiff bolt lift on the defiances? Seems like that can have a lot to do with timing things. You can get a prefit in any contour you want, just not off the shelf.
I did. I tried several Timney and TT triggers in both and the actions cycled the same with or without any of the triggers that I tried.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone make a Prefit for it or can it take a Savage/Remage threaded barrel? I went with an Origin because I wasn't sure.
I recently talked to preferred barrel blanks, they have the tolerance specs from Mack bros. It doesn’t show as an option on the sight, you have to contact them it’s for a Mack Bros action or add it in the notes.

Earlier this year bought a Mac bro's evo 2 l/a for a buddies build, very smooth, feels good. Just received the build back and will get it shot this weekend. We will decide what cerakote he does or doesn't want when he sees it. Not sure it needs any slick coating in the action.

Attachments

• 20230731_115908.jpg
    20230731_115908.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 43