Lunch on the Mountain

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
We (me and my brother) changed up our tactics for meals a few years ago.
We back pack everything in for a week, so most everything is fried dried meals.
I need something in my stomach first thing in the morning to get me going, and spending time
preparing a breakfast (even freeze dried) when you are trying to be on the mountain a couple hours before daylight is a drag. I got the recipe for an awesome energy/granola bar from the Whistling Straights golf course in Wisconsin of all places. This bar is packed full of good stuff and actually tastes great, instead of like tree bark. We just smack one down in the morning - I usually eat it as I'm walking in.

We rendezvous on the mountain around mid day and make ourselves one of the freeze dried meals. One of us carries two pouches of meals in their day pack with a small gas cannister, the other guy carries two collapsible bowls with lids and spoons - boil up some water, make the meal, eat, and take about a 1/2 hour siesta. That hot meal for lunch really helps power through the rest of the day until dark.

rayporter

WKR
a single serve spam slice with a granola bar and hot coffee.

if real cold i will heat mac and cheese or ramen with a fuel tab. i dont carry a gas stove just a fuel tab and a cup.

Agdog

FNG
Does noone eat butthole sandwiches anymore? Dang. Next thing you know, noone's going to be manscaping.

I haven’t had a butthole in two years. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder, it’s on my menu this October.

OP
trophyhill
I did them for awhile during peak popularity of eating the sandwich de butthole and posting about it on Rokslide circa 2015, but I got burned out on them: Butthole is kinda dry and you can only eat so much so often.

My general problem is I find something that works pretty well for lunch and then I start eating that same lunch in the backcountry for a summer + fall season and then I’m permanently burned out on it.
Thats exactly where I'm at. Sure the tuna and salmon packets have some protein. But i am so tired of that and cliff bars and everything else I've tried.......accept the peanut butter and honey or red rasperry jam

TX_Diver

WKR
I'd starve hunting with most of you guys.

I usually buy a pizza the night before the hunt and will eat a slice for breakfast every day.

Lunch is usually two sandwiches. One meat/cheese, etc. The other sometimes just a PB&J. Also carry a granola bar of some sort and trail mix. Sometimes beef jerky too... Freeze (or just cool) a plastic water bottle every night and wrap my lunch and the water in my puffy jacket inside my pack... Keeps stuff cool and is some extra water for when I finish my main supply.

Hunted with a guy last year for a day. We stopped for lunch and he pulled a hard cooler out of his backpack. Glass jar of peanut butter, glass tupperware of some random fruits, and metal silverware.... Yikes.

2ski

WKR
Bagels have no place ever in my hunting camp, pack, or even my home. I've been known to take my Jetboil and a MH for lunch away from camp. But quite frankly, as long as I have my coffee........I'm good. I can eat after the day is over.
No bagels? Snowflake!
😆

2ski

WKR
I've found the local coop to be a source of good variety of bars. I'm always finding new stuff there. It's where I bought my first Pro Bar before people really had heard of them.

FLATHEAD

WKR
PButter and raisin tortillas, Cheezits, Fig Newtons, Jerky.
If it's cold I'll build a small fire and heat up some beanie weenies.
Maybe break out the pocket rocket and brew up some coffee.

I'd starve hunting with most of you guys.

I usually buy a pizza the night before the hunt and will eat a slice for breakfast every day.

Lunch is usually two sandwiches. One meat/cheese, etc. The other sometimes just a PB&J. Also carry a granola bar of some sort and trail mix. Sometimes beef jerky too... Freeze (or just cool) a plastic water bottle every night and wrap my lunch and the water in my puffy jacket inside my pack... Keeps stuff cool and is some extra water for when I finish my main supply.

Hunted with a guy last year for a day. We stopped for lunch and he pulled a hard cooler out of his backpack. Glass jar of peanut butter, glass tupperware of some random fruits, and metal silverware.... Yikes.
I do like to stop at this good local deli I've been going to for years and get a sandwich to pack in for the first day. That and a 6 pack of victory/ consolation beers to hide in the creek at the halfway point on our trail in. Nothing like getting to the halfway point on the first leg of a tough pack out and having a freezing cold beer waiting in the creek, there is even a little pool that is tailor-made for beverage storage. Maybe an energy drink or two as well if I'm feeling froggy.

We can all agree peanut butter and jelly is the proper meal when hunting and on the mountain or fishing.
agreed, and if packing lighter is necessary, a jar of peanut butter and a spoon works;)

i eat a lot of perfect bars too, i don't get sick of those, they are high in calories, and are just good... especially the dark chocolate chip ones

ridgefire

WKR
A protein bar, trail mix, jerky, fruit snack, some dried mango and a couple fun size snickers is my typical lunch for the day. I usually stop sometime between 9-10am and 2-4pm to eat and divide it between those breaks. Usually moving the rest of the day.

I like the dried mangos and/or other dried fruits, along with an assortment of pretzel pieces or a Tex-Mex Cajun nut mix, or a homemade chex mix assortment, for a midnight snack in my tent between 1:00 AM and 3:00 AM.

TX_Diver

WKR
I do like to stop at this good local deli I've been going to for years and get a sandwich to pack in for the first day. That and a 6 pack of victory/ consolation beers to hide in the creek at the halfway point on our trail in. Nothing like getting to the halfway point on the first leg of a tough pack out and having a freezing cold beer waiting in the creek, there is even a little pool that is tailor-made for beverage storage. Maybe an energy drink or two as well if I'm feeling froggy.
I will usually buy a few of the giant sandwiches at the grocery store too and use them the first three days. Easy for a few lunches and even a big dinner if I don’t feel like cooking.

Finding a local deli is an even better idea though. I will check it out next time

2ski

WKR
agreed, and if packing lighter is necessary, a jar of peanut butter and a spoon works;)

i eat a lot of perfect bars too, i don't get sick of those, they are high in calories, and are just good... especially the dark chocolate chip ones
Perfect bars are so good.