Lunch on the Mountain

What are y'all eating on the mountain mid day? 16 years of September elk and i still havent found anything i really love for lunch on the mountain. I guess crunchy peanut butter and honey is probably what ive liked most but it is so heavy if you are doing a backcountry hunt.

Triple-Decker meat and cheese sandwich with lettuce, onion, tomato, mustard and mayonnaise, handful of pickles and baby carrots, couple lunch-size bags of chips, couple oranges or tangelos, and an apple, maybe a candy bar as well.

In Alaska it's a different lunch than that, but still pretty beefy.

I burn a helluva lot of calories in the backcountry and I don't do breakfasts, so lunch and dinner are the two meals of the day.

jhm2023

WKR
My on the go lunch typically consists of 2 JIF crunchy to go cups and scoop it out with two flat bread halves, 1 slice medium cheddar, 1 dark chocolate and almond Hershey's nugget and 1 oz. of old trapper original beef jerky.

For those cold days of sitting behind the spotter I pack some couscous and throw in a bouillon cube and creole seasoning. Still have my chocolate and cheese too.

I don't hunt elk but this is my lunch routine on the mountain for various other critters.

Edit to add I forgot to mention I have 1 oz. per day of honey bbq Fritos twists.

Last edited:

jdmaxwell

WKR
2nd on Jiffy peanut butter cups.
Then I put on cinnamon raisin bagel.
Along with some jerky, trail mix, bar, and some chocolate.

When guiding clients up here in Alaska, everyvday it's caribou sausage, cheese, Pringles, pork-n-beans, canned fruit, jello and flavored applesauce. When the caribou sausage runs out after Day Six, switch over to sardines, clams and oysters.

Gerbdog

WKR
Super boring stuff for me - i de-volved from b*tth*le sandwhiches (bagels with peanut butter and whatever else you like on them) down to just .... beef jerky, candy bar, one of those green belly meal bars .... its not exciting at all. The bagel sandwhiches got tiring for me also, and everything else i tried to pack with me while hunting. Dunno, guess all the exercise takes away the hunger for me.

Poser

WKR
Does noone eat butthole sandwiches anymore? Dang. Next thing you know, noone's going to be manscaping.

I did them for awhile during peak popularity of eating the sandwich de butthole and posting about it on Rokslide circa 2015, but I got burned out on them: Butthole is kinda dry and you can only eat so much so often.

My general problem is I find something that works pretty well for lunch and then I start eating that same lunch in the backcountry for a summer + fall season and then I’m permanently burned out on it.

Does noone eat butthole sandwiches anymore? Dang. Next thing you know, noone's going to be manscaping.
Only the cool kids. Dave's ultimate bagel, Justin's honey peanut butter, local honey, extra thick crispy slab bacon... vac sealed into a pancake. Can't be beat. Pack these for the first 5 days, then switch to foil packs of tuna/ chicken (lemon pepper is my favorite), jerky, Pro meal bars, trail mix, pemmican, dried fruit (mangos, pineapple, cherries).

honey stinger waffle, trail mix, fruit snacks or gushers, jerky or snack stix & some skoal for dessert