Lumbar Pad

slim9300

WKR
slim9300:

I'm assuming the bends at the top of your stay were done to try to get the lifter straps to relieve pressure on the front of your shoulders. I've been thinking of trying that. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks,
Scott

Actually no. The reason why they stick out in the front like they do is because of the bend that I put in them for the shoulder area. The tops of the stays still flex forward a small amount (maybe 1/2") when I tighten the load lifters, but there does not seem to be any negative affects of having the load lifters that far forward. 80-100 lbs. is very comfortable.

I have thought about bending the stays straight at the top to have more of the traditional angle, but they have worked so well that I don't see why I would change at this point.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
slim9300:

I think you misunderstood my assumption. With the tops of the stays that far forward, you get more lift and less push from the shoulder straps. It's an idea I've been wanting to try. It sounds like that is what is happening for you.

Regards,
Scott

JPD350

WKR
sab,
Your right I need to order some aluminum stays and fit them to my back, no doubt about it. There is not enough curve over the dorsal part of my back with the carbon stays they are not letting the top part of the pack come forward enough, if I can get more curve in the upper portion of the stays the pack will rotate forward onto the pad a little bit more and that just might do it.

slim9300

WKR
slim9300:

I think you misunderstood my assumption. With the tops of the stays that far forward, you get more lift and less push from the shoulder straps. It's an idea I've been wanting to try. It sounds like that is what is happening for you.

Regards,
Scott

Well then yes you are correct. For some reason, I thought your assumption was that I bent the stays for the purpose of making the load lifters more functional. It was truly an "accident."

slim9300

WKR
sab,
Your right I need to order some aluminum stays and fit them to my back, no doubt about it. There is not enough curve over the dorsal part of my back with the carbon stays they are not letting the top part of the pack come forward enough, if I can get more curve in the upper portion of the stays the pack will rotate forward onto the pad a little bit more and that just might do it.

I needed the same thing.

OP
J

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Been playing around with the pack now that I have aluminum stays. Still getting a pretty significant hot spot even after making adjustments to the stays. The lumbar pad may just not be for me.

Been playing around with the pack now that I have aluminum stays. Still getting a pretty significant hot spot even after making adjustments to the stays. The lumbar pad may just not be for me.

The lumbar pad is gigantic. To the point it overwhelms the actual belt. I just ordered the wraptech lumbar pad which should make a big difference.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry I haven't been keeping up on this as I should (just got out of the field.

I'd like to chat with you guys that are having issues with the lumbar pad. Give me a call when you get a chance....would like to get your thoughts on what's going on.

Thanks

Aron

720-937-1418

cmeier117

WKR
I need to check when I go home but are the Lumbar pads on the DT packs and TImberline packs a different size? I should know since I have both?

I need to check when I go home but are the Lumbar pads on the DT packs and TImberline packs a different size? I should know since I have both?

They are all the large lumbar pad except T3 as that is a WrapTech suspension. I have aluminum stay coming and a wraptech pad. I had composite stays in my t3 and it fit great but has the wraptech pad.

Last edited:
I recieved my aluminum stays today. After nearly dropping dead from trying to get the composite stays out.....I have the aluminum stays tweeked and installed. It is too late to go for a hike but it does feel much different just walking around the house with 50lbs in it. I do want to change out the pad when my wraptech pad arrives and see if it feels as good as my T3 did?

stephen b

WKR
........After nearly dropping dead from trying to get the composite stays out.....I have the aluminum stays tweeked and installed.

I know! - it is a son of a gun. The first time I tried, I could not believe what a bear it was to get them out.

After 1 or 2 times it is not so bad- but that first time is a B!+&#.

Good luck with the new stays and pad. And let us know how you like the wraptech pad.

I recieved my aluminum stays today. After nearly dropping dead from trying to get the composite stays out.....I have the aluminum stays tweeked and installed. It is too late to go for a hike but it does feel much different just walking around the house with 50lbs in it. I do want to change out the pad when my wraptech pad arrives and see if it feels as good as my T3 did?

On my T1 you can loosen some straps and the stays come out real easy I'm pretty sure... at least I remember playing with the lumbar pad and it didn't seem hard at all to remove them...

Mike

I had everything loose and they were very hard to get out. I used a special rubber wrap/tape and put it around the jaws of some vise grip pliers. Then proceeded to drop a nut pulling them out!!! The aluminum stays went in very easy though. Thank god

slim9300

WKR
I had everything loose and they were very hard to get out. I used a special rubber wrap/tape and put it around the jaws of some vise grip pliers. Then proceeded to drop a nut pulling them out!!! The aluminum stays went in very easy though. Thank god

Lol. I have the G1 lumbar pad coming now (foam only). It's a softer foam and should solve my issues with the lumbar pad with really heavy loads. I'll keep everyone posted.

I have taken my stays in and out probably 50 times and I can't remember the first time thankfully. I do remember that the aluminums are far easier to work with and now it's like second nature.

Slim, I just started a new thread on the lumbar pad. I installed the WrapTech pad and it is like night and day as far as comfort. It too is dual density but much thinner and extremely comfortable.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin made me some stays that we're flatter then the normal aluminum stays and the pack fits great now. Thank you Kevin, Angie and Kifaru! Big thanks to Aron for taking the time to talk me through it.

slim9300

WKR
Slim, I just started a new thread on the lumbar pad. I installed the WrapTech pad and it is like night and day as far as comfort. It too is dual density but much thinner and extremely comfortable.

Any issues with the loose material from the outer cover bunching up? I'll look for your thread.

The packs are custom built are they not? Can you order a DT series pack with the wraptech lumbar pad instead of the pads that come stock?