LR Hunting Suppressor for Accuracy / Precision

Ratpick68

FNG
Roksliders - Looking for real world experience with long(er) range hunting suppressors for accuracy/precision (400-1200yds). The precision rifle blog lists Thunderbeast and SilencerCo as the top 2 PRS suppressors used in 2019 tournaments. Not debating if that's apples-to-apples, rather wondering what you use or see as a precision 400+ yard can. Thanks!

jbaker

FNG
Thunder beast is really hard to beat for accuracy and weight! I have ran one since 2017 in both PRS matches and hunting

I recommend the ones that connect to a brake so you can put it on barrels with different thread sizes

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Since I started shooting suppressed I haven't shot much over 800. All my suppressors have been plenty precise out that far. The lowest end suppressor is have is a silencerco harvester and it's spot on even with direct thread. Accuracy is up to the shooter and aiming device, not the suppressor.

Flyjunky

WKR
Since I started shooting suppressed I haven't shot much over 800. All my suppressors have been plenty precise out that far. The lowest end suppressor is have is a silencerco harvester and it's spot on even with direct thread. Accuracy is up to the shooter and aiming device, not the suppressor.
What do you mean by “even with direct thread”? I only have one suppressor on my coyote rig and it’s direct thread. Is direct thread a less accurate way to mount a suppressor? Honest question, I don’t know.

Sled

WKR
What do you mean by “even with direct thread”? I only have one suppressor on my coyote rig and it’s direct thread. Is direct thread a less accurate way to mount a suppressor? Honest question, I don’t know.

Some feel that direct thread is less repeatable than some of the new qd systems. I'm not of that opinion but I suppose bad threads with too great of a tolerance could cause those issues. A bad shoulder could too.

Flyjunky

WKR
Some feel that direct thread is less repeatable than some of the new qd systems. I'm not of that opinion but I suppose bad threads with too great of a tolerance could cause those issues. A bad shoulder could too.
Thanks

OP
Ratpick68

Ratpick68

FNG
Thunder beast is really hard to beat for accuracy and weight! I have ran one since 2017 in both PRS matches and hunting

I recommend the ones that connect to a brake so you can put it on barrels with different thread sizes

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Thanks jbaker. TBAC seems to be the Cadillac (Ferrari?) of suppressors. Any experience with the 338 can?

Braaap

WKR
I was showing my dad my new ultra 7 cb recently. He’s a mechanical engineer and commented on how he liked the way the cb mount was designed and mentioned that threads are generally not a good way mount a precision device like a suppressor. Obviously plenty of people use direct thread without issue. He was just pointing out how the cb style has an angled shoulder that basically guarantees the suppressor is in the same exact spot each time it’s mounted.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks jbaker. TBAC seems to be the Cadillac (Ferrari?) of suppressors. Any experience with the 338 can?

Ten years ago one could make the claim that TBAC’s were probably the best available for precision. That is not true anymore. One for one I and everyone I am around prefers the CGS cans over TBAC for example, and there are more cans that are very good as well. There used to be a large gap between cans- not so much anymore.

ID_Matt

WKR
When people say that one suppressor is more accurate than another, are they referring to actual group size from one to the other, or are they talking about being able to move the can off and on without losing zero?

I run Q's Thunder Chicken, Trash Panda, and the Jumbo Shrimp on different rifles. Cant beat the ease of the Cherry Bomb muzzle breaks attachment, and how light the setup is. I use the Thunder Chicken on my 300 PRC, and shoot to 900 pretty often, and the Trash Panda, and the Jumbo Shrimp on smaller calibers. It's nice to have variety too, my 6.5 Creed and 6Arc really do well with the little Jumbo Shrimp.

OP
Ratpick68

Ratpick68

FNG
When people say that one suppressor is more accurate than another, are they referring to actual group size from one to the other, or are they talking about being able to move the can off and on without losing zero?
Great question. I'm in the group size camp. Looking to use can for hunting and want a can that does NOT change group size (unless it improves!).

Jumping in for a second- I’ve hunted with both TBAC ultra 9 and Dominus. Never shot a deer past 200 with one, but shot steel to 1000 and they were both great. That being said, if given the chance i would go with an 18” barrel and the dominus. Much more manageable length.

im trying to understand the fugly CGS Hyperion thread adapters. It looks like they would make the can stick further forward off the front of a barrel than a direct thread or say TBAC CB style adapters. Is that the case?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
im trying to understand the fugly CGS Hyperion thread adapters. It looks like they would make the can stick further forward off the front of a barrel than a direct thread or say TBAC CB style adapters. Is that the case?

I don’t use them on bolt guns. Just direct thread.