LPVO vs Red dot

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wanting to do a new rifle it will be a Tikka rough tech ranch 16” 308, for use in the woods on Whitetail, pigs, and I hope bear in the SE. I’m narrowed it down to two choices Trijicon TR25 1-6 German #4 or a Aimpoint T-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
LPVO if it was me. Particularly hog hunting during the daytime, I find that I’ll spot a hog/log, or a fur/weed. With magnification, I can dial up, ID, and take a quick shot. I’ve missed opportunities on hogs with red dots because I wasn’t 100% sure it was a pig, until it stood up and left.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
The LPVO is just more versatile. A lot of guys swear they are faster with the dot, but a little magnification can make things easier on distance and target ID

Bluefish

WKR
The problem I found with lpvo’s is they all have short eye relief as they are designed for AR’s. On magnum rifles they don’t offer enough and I am pretty sure I would get scoped.

I did find one red dot that’s a 2x. Going to try it for the deep woods this year.

The problem I found with lpvo’s is they all have short eye relief as they are designed for AR’s. On magnum rifles they don’t offer enough and I am pretty sure I would get scoped.

I did find one red dot that’s a 2x. Going to try it for the deep woods this year.

That's usually a function of the cheap ones, or the ones trying to be super compact and short. There are plenty out there with more than enough eye-relief for most magnums...but other than some big-bore dangerous game applications, why would you want a 1-8 on a magnum?? It seems pretty limiting for what the cartridge can do.

OP, while the red-dot would work (and the T2 is a great one), you'll find yourself limited in some opportunity with them on a deer gun, even in dense woods. There will be times you'll want the extra magnification of an LPVO for peering into shadows or through brush for better target ID (ie, doe or buck, small buck vs big buck, etc), that you're just not going to get with a red-dot. The biggest advantage I could see in going with a red dot in the situation you described is if you were doing everything possible to minimize weight. Other than that, the advantages stack up with magnification, as long as the glass is reasonably good, and reasonably durable.

I don't have much experience with LPVOs but I use the T2 for my AR15s - I personally wouldn't use the T2 if I was planning on shooting further than 200 yards. I think for a hunting application the LPVO gives you more flexibility for different hunting scenarios.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a primary arms LPVO that would work well on that. I'd go that route just in case you need a bit of magnification.

LPVO if it were for me. 1-2x on a tight woods gun is pretty sweet, expecially if stuff is on the move.

I've got red dots on a couple "round the house" guns and like them or that.

I didnt realize 308's were considered a magnum these days.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn’t be any 200 yards shot if I’m hunting fields I got another rifle that.
This would be woods. Around here most shots would point to …50? There prob a few random spots of 75-100 yards are possible but most be less than 50.
I feel like the deciding factor is I think in those last few mins a traditional scope seems to to find those animals as the light fade.

I don’t consider 308 magnum either lol.

Yea I think the versatility of the LPVO prob outweighs the weighs the benefits of the red dot……maybe.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
And as far as LPVO the only one I’m looking at is Trijicon tr25 1-6 German. No others

Long Cut

WKR
Traditional scopes shine in lower light compared to Red Dot’s or LVPO’s.
Red dots & LVPO’s sound cool and all, until you’re in a creek bottom during an overcast evening and you have a hog/buck coming, in but can’t see out of your optic to find/verify your target.

Animals move the most at first & last light. I’d favor a setup that can perform during those conditions. *Unless this was strictly built for hunting over dogs or deer drives*

Wouldn’t be any 200 yards shot if I’m hunting fields I got another rifle that.
This would be woods. Around here most shots would point to …50? There prob a few random spots of 75-100 yards are possible but most be less than 50.
I feel like the deciding factor is I think in those last few mins a traditional scope seems to to find those animals as the light fade.

I don’t consider 308 magnum either lol.

Yea I think the versatility of the LPVO prob outweighs the weighs the benefits of the red dot……maybe.

You realize what you damn near get when you turn on the illumination with the magnification turned down?

Last edited:
OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Traditional scopes shine in lower light compared to Red Dot’s or LVPO’s.
Red dots & LVPO’s sound cool and all, until you’re in a creek bottom during an overcast evening and you have a hog/buck coming, in but can’t see out of your optic to find/verify your target.

Animals move the most at first & last light. I’d favor a setup that can perform during those conditions. *Unless this was strictly built for hunting over dogs or deer drives*

Yes ive experienced that, and I have tradition scopes, but those have cost me several animals , had pigs run by less than 10 yards, and deer. Stand up similar where a traditional scope even on 3x was just WAY too much .
Some oft these places Get thick . I have other rifles that . I’ve used in looking to fill in option for these thicker woods.

Bluefish

WKR
That's usually a function of the cheap ones, or the ones trying to be super compact and short. There are plenty out there with more than enough eye-relief for most magnums...but other than some big-bore dangerous game applications, why would you want a 1-8 on a magnum?? It seems pretty limiting for what the cartridge can do.
Hunting Iowa, I am using 35 whelen and 45-70. Both have magnum level recoil with shorter ranges. I looked for lpvo’s and most were around 2” eye relief. Not enough for me.

Hunting Iowa, I am using 35 whelen and 45-70. Both have magnum level recoil with shorter ranges. I looked for lpvo’s and most were around 2” eye relief. Not enough for me.

That makes sense. If you're still interested in an LPVO, I can personally confirm Swarovski's Z8i 1-8 has excellent eye relief, and I also understand that Primary Arms' PLxC 1-8 is pretty spectacular for eyebox. They list eye relief as over 3.5" on lower power settings, and I believe that's conservative.

Blue72

WKR
I went red dot on my tikka after seeing many European hunters using them for boar hunting

The red dot keeps the rifle light and nimble and aid to faster snap shooting under 100 yards.

chill223

FNG
Another vote for the LPVO, for what everyone has mentioned with versatility, and you can run it at 1x power the whole time if you want. I haven’t personally used prism optics, but it could be a possibility to bridge the gap between the two.

For your scenario/setup, I’d go with the 1-6x option you listed from Trijicon. You just have versatility in that optic than you do a red dot.

I'm thinking a LPVO would gather more light than a red dot in a low light situation. Some folks have problems with a red dot if they have an astigmatism.

I’ve gone back and forth on my varmint setup - most recently, I have come back around to LVPO but did mount a top side red dot for short work. Get a 1.5 mount to run NVG or thermal devices inline with the LVPO.