Lower back strengthening.

Squats and deadlifts. Look up starting strength. Buy the blue book. Read it and do the program as described. It will change you forever. Very few people do it though.

This!

Lots of exercises may help with mobility, conditioning, flexibility, etc.

BUT, if you look at this situation more simply - you need to get stronger. Some people hate the idea of being a 'gym junkie', but honestly, some basic barbell training will change your life. If you drive your squat and deadlift up to a decent baseline level of fitness, everything in your life that requires physical effort will get better, and your lower back will certainly improve.

180ls1

WKR
Hamstrings play a role in your lower back as well. Do a little research, but in a nut shell, weak hamstrings cause your hips to get out of alignment which forces bad posture. In my experience, this is a bigger factor than a weak lower back.
This is great advice.

For reference, I used to have a lot of achilles tendon problems. It was a problem with my hips even though my hips felt fantastic.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Go get professional advice. No doubt some of the suggestions here are great but it could also move you in the completely wrong direction and make it worse.

Your back and health in general are worth it.
Question. This is the stuff I literally have no knowledge about. Only time I ever see a DR. Is from ER visits or Urgent Care. Who do I go talk to, just a doc?

It appears it wouldn't be a bad thing either to go find a gym, and get some personal training lessons.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Question. This is the stuff I literally have no knowledge about. Only time I ever see a DR. Is from ER visits or Urgent Care. Who do I go talk to, just a doc?

It appears it wouldn't be a bad thing either to go find a gym, and get some personal training lessons.

Start with a Physical Therapist, they can evaluate you and give you better guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with the McGill big 3, which can be done at home, then move onto strengthening the entire core area. Be sure to work all planes of movement to eliminate one weak area that causes everything else to compensate for it.

I was going to recommend the same — McGill big 3. Does not require equipment.

180ls1

WKR

I also recommend PT but seeing a doc isn't a bad idea either. I have found a good PT was invaluable for my shoulder injury and I was seeing world class doctors.

If you are in ID, @robby denning may be worth a visit or referral. I think he mentioned being a PT on his book.

I had L2/L3 fusion surgery 9 years ago at age 45 after many years of dealing withe back pain. Strengthening my core and hamstrings along with stretching are what I think are the keys for me. I spend a lot of time doing core work, deadlifts, step ups. lunges etc. I am stronger now and can go harder than I could when I was in my 30s and 40s.

One thing I never do is load weight downward on my spine. I never do squats or barbell military presses. Its not that I cant, I just choose not to :)

I hike regularly and I also try to walk a lot. Usually walk the dog 2-3 miles most days.

marc357

FNG
From a guy wjo's worked construction and worn a heavy tool belt for 40 years:

Stretching.

On the advice of my Doctor, I bought a book called "Yoga For Regular Guys" nearly 20 years ago, and it changed my life for the better.
It's not "Meditation and find your inner peace type yoga", its more stretching and callisthenic type of yoga.
that said, I sure feel more "at peace"...... when I'm not in pain.

It's out of print, but you can still find a used copy https://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Regular-Guys-Workout-Planet/dp/1594740798

And there's nothing in there that will hurt you, or any Doctor would tell you not to do.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider

Because it might take you a while to get in to see a PT, Google or YouTube McGills big 3. There are more than just 3 exercises that DR. McGill has come up with but the big 3 are a great place to start. Start doing these exercises now don’t wait to get into a PT. Obviously if you have pain doing these then try an alternative movement but DR. McGill is probably the best known medical professional when it comes to back rehab.

Madstop14

FNG
McGill just did a 3 hour podcast with Andrew Huberman. Give that a listen, there was a ton of great info covered.

It ain’t cheap, but I know of nothing else that will target deep into your lower back and glutes like this machine will. It fixed my lower back issues in 2 weeks. Use it regularly to do back extension exercises (along with decompression) and your back will be bulletproof.

https://teeter.com/product/dex-ii/

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
I have on going back issues. Here's what has helped me. Stretching, exercise, diet. Diet has been the biggest surprise. You are what you eat and inflammation does gnarly things to your body.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Two back surgeries later, I dropped 40 lbs. and worked hard to strengthen core and glutes. 20 years later I can handle heavy packouts with no issues.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
See a physical therapist. Guessing about the causes of your back problem and the most effective exercises for it can take you down the wrong rabbit hole. Also educate yourself on the McGill Method. It’s a very good general lower back stretching and strengthening program.

I had L 4-5 surgery almost 25 years ago and knock on wood I’ve had minimal issues since. Everyone here has hit key facts and fixes for lower back issues. I have found that usually when my back flares up or locks up is because I’m dehydrated.

I have on going back issues. Here's what has helped me. Stretching, exercise, diet. Diet has been the biggest surprise. You are what you eat and inflammation does gnarly things to your body.
I think too many people under estimate the value of a healthy diet. I try to eat mostly whole foods and I avoid fast food, processed foods, bread and pasta. It makes such an enormous difference in how I feel overall. My diet use to be horrible with all processed crap you can really feel the difference.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Start with the McGill big 3, which can be done at home, then move onto strengthening the entire core area. Be sure to work all planes of movement to eliminate one weak area that causes everything else to compensate for it.

This is the correct answer. Buy McGill's two books and read them. His approach/system is based on decades of research and studies, worked with world class athletes from all over the world. This isn't anecdotal observations.