Lower back strengthening.

JKE_352

FNG
A lot of good advice in here, but in my opinion and personal experience the single best movement for overall low back health is the reverse hyper extension. Plenty of machines available, or you can build one for sub 100$.

Well, finally being more serious about trying to get my lower back in better shape, granted it's to late for the year but for next year.

About once a year I pull/strain muscles in my lower back (don't remember what muscle group it is called) and I end up going on light duty. What's led to it is using a shovel a lot, raking asphalt and what made the muscle finally decided it was done was opening a tailgate.

Besides making a good effort of not twisting with weight, and make more of an effort to lift with my legs, what can I do to actually strengthen my lower back?
Work your core. A strong core is essential for a strong back.

I had some lower back issues so I started focusing on it several years ago. Get an inversion table and keep it stretched out and you can also do some ab work while hanging. Kettle bell swings, 6 inches, Superman exercise, leg raises and planks. Do these things a few times and week and you'll be good to go.

core and legs.

Don't think you necessarily have to dead lift or squat with a bar to get there either, depending on your age and goals.

Single leg on the leg press works fine, 4 sets of 10 per leg. Leg extensions and leg curls. Reverse lunges with kettle bell, squats with dumbell all great, functional exercises and you don't feel like you're power lifting.

Stretching is really the big thing for lower back as mentioned above. Stretch before workouts and after workouts and every day in between will help loosen those hamstrings.

ianpadron

WKR
Former trainer, BS in Kinesiology chiming in here:

Most guys go at strengthening their backs entirely wrong.

Here are some things that you can do that don't directly involve your erector spinae (the muscles you're likely straining) that will decrease the incidence in back injuries.

1) lose weight. If you're packing around even 10-15 extra pounds, that puts undo stress on your lower back, changes your center of gravity, and adds premature wear and tear. Adult men should have visible abs, no excuses. You accomplish this with diet.

2) strengthen your glutes and hamstrings! The correlation between back injuries and weak posterior chain leg muscles is eye opening. RDLs, back squats, back extensions, and nordic hamstring curls should be your bread and butter. If you can't currently do a nordic hamstring curl with your own bodyweight...I guarantee you that your back pain will disappear when you are able to complete just 1 un-assisted nordic curl. Dead serious.

3) strengthen your anterior core musculature. planks, front and side, hanging knee tucks, etc...are all money in the bank for bullet proofing your back. Ditch the situps, they suck. Think about your core musculature as your backs bodyguard. Most guys train abs by moving them, you need to train your core to resist movement.

4) work on your mobility and power. most dudes are stiff and slow. If you can train your muscles through a FULL range of motion, and work on force production through explosive reps on compound movements and plyometrics, the incidence of injury decreases exponentially.

One last kicker that the great Dr. Stu McGill teaches (literally the Godfather of spinal health and rehab) is that walking is your best friend. We are built from the ground up to walk, and our low back is the anchor that every piece of us is tethered back to. If you make a point to get a brisk 30 min walk in everyday, you WILL see a difference (oh and it's really good for your brain).

ianpadron

WKR
All the strengthening suggestions are good advice but in your case I would also reiterate you probably have a muscle imbalance. Mostly working one side of your body strengthening that side and neglecting the other will really mess you up. Stretching your hips / leg muscles you will probably find one side tighter than the other. Fix that.
great point.

A fella would do a lot of good training uni-lateral movements only for a few months

If it hasn't been mentioned, look up Squat University on youtube. specifically the Mcgill Big 3. Not sure of age but give yourself 2-3 weeks to start seeing results

F21FALCON

FNG
I recently had a lower back injury and went to a physical therapist. They emphasized core strengthening and stretching. Learned some great techniques. I’d recommend professional help for a bit just to learn some techniques you can do on your own going forward.

Same here. Really helped.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Former trainer, BS in Kinesiology chiming in here:

Most guys go at strengthening their backs entirely wrong.

Here are some things that you can do that don't directly involve your erector spinae (the muscles you're likely straining) that will decrease the incidence in back injuries.

1) lose weight. If you're packing around even 10-15 extra pounds, that puts undo stress on your lower back, changes your center of gravity, and adds premature wear and tear. Adult men should have visible abs, no excuses. You accomplish this with diet.

2) strengthen your glutes and hamstrings! The correlation between back injuries and weak posterior chain leg muscles is eye opening. RDLs, back squats, back extensions, and nordic hamstring curls should be your bread and butter. If you can't currently do a nordic hamstring curl with your own bodyweight...I guarantee you that your back pain will disappear when you are able to complete just 1 un-assisted nordic curl. Dead serious.

3) strengthen your anterior core musculature. planks, front and side, hanging knee tucks, etc...are all money in the bank for bullet proofing your back. Ditch the situps, they suck. Think about your core musculature as your backs bodyguard. Most guys train abs by moving them, you need to train your core to resist movement.

4) work on your mobility and power. most dudes are stiff and slow. If you can train your muscles through a FULL range of motion, and work on force production through explosive reps on compound movements and plyometrics, the incidence of injury decreases exponentially.

One last kicker that the great Dr. Stu McGill teaches (literally the Godfather of spinal health and rehab) is that walking is your best friend. We are built from the ground up to walk, and our low back is the anchor that every piece of us is tethered back to. If you make a point to get a brisk 30 min walk in everyday, you WILL see a difference (oh and it's really good for your brain).
Anything to add to this or take away for specific sciatic pain? I just lived through my first experience with sciatica... one week of pain etc.

Thanks,

Mark

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 40 and have done manual labor my whole career(electrician), with 0 back problems, so the work isn't the problem. Our bodies are meant to move! We actually just hired a guy that was a supervisor at one of the plants we do work at and his back pain actually went away from losing a few pounds and being active all day instead of driving a desk.

Like others have stated if your overweight, that is likely the main problem along with muscle imbalances. I personally would avoid a doctor, you'll just get anti-inflammatories & pain killers there. Physical therapist would be a good option or a personal trainer if you can afford it.

Check out the Mind Pump podcast, they have live call in's and give good advice. I'm sure you can find some past episodes that back pain has been addressed there.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
About 20 years ago I hurt my back and was having serious problems. Surgeon wanted to do surgery… when you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail….

I knew even back then (young and dumb) surgery would be a bad decision. So instead, I got into shape.

In my forties now, I don’t have back pain other than sitting in a car or plane for hours. Weight training will heal your back. Warm up with an elliptical (no impact) then lift. Squats, leg lifts from a pull up bar, deadlift, standing overhead press, etc etc. all the basic compound lifts. Your back will get better.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Well, going to a physical therapist tomorrow for I think 2 weeks. Once I'm able to I am hoping of finding a local gym to start doing some weight lifting and be taught how to do the correct form to not injure myself. Truly sucks seeing this chance of rain/showers move in and not be able to go take my bow out.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Well, going to a physical therapist tomorrow for I think 2 weeks. Once I'm able to I am hoping of finding a local gym to start doing some weight lifting and be taught how to do the correct form to not injure myself. Truly sucks seeing this chance of rain/showers move in and not be able to go take my bow out.
I think you made a sound decision. The time you invest now will mean lots more bow hunting in the future. Good luck with your conditioning program.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Well, finally being more serious about trying to get my lower back in better shape, granted it's to late for the year but for next year.

About once a year I pull/strain muscles in my lower back (don't remember what muscle group it is called) and I end up going on light duty. What's led to it is using a shovel a lot, raking asphalt and what made the muscle finally decided it was done was opening a tailgate.

Besides making a good effort of not twisting with weight, and make more of a effort to lift with my legs, what can I do to actually strengthen my lower back?
I do irrigation work, going on probably 25 years, so same with the shovel work. Lower back always acts up now days so great to see this thread. I've been doing light deadlifts and some core, trying to start running again and mainly be active. Fortunately my job also allows me to walk a lot so that helps, seems like standing around for long periods triggers my back pain so moving a lot helps. Seems like some great advice here, will keep an eye on it, good luck.