lowa boots

n2horns

WKR
I am interested in new boots either Lowa Tibet, Ranger or Trekker. I have Danner pronghorns for light desert and smaller mountain ranges. Looking now for a
more suitable mountain boot that if needed can do double duty as above with Danners.

I have looked at Hanwag Alaskan but not sure which it compares to in the Lowas.

I seem to like the Rangers as they appear to be middle of the road. Any help in pros cons comparisons is appreciated. I do have wide foot so not sure if Hanwags will fit.

Last edited:
OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
Sorry for the misspellings/auto corrections as was sent from my phone.

ckleeves

WKR
I am interested in new boots either Lowa Tibet, Ranger or Trekker. I have Danner pronghorns for light desert and smaller mountain ranges. Looking now for a
more suitable mountain boot that if needed can do double duty as above with Danners.

I have looked at Hanwag Alaskan but not sure which it compares to in the Lowas.

I seem to like the Rangers as they appear to be middle of the road. Any help in pros cons comparisons is appreciated. I do have wide foot so not sure if Hanwags will fit.

I think the Tibet would be very comparable to the Alaskan. I guess it really depends on what fits best and what kinda terrain your going to be using them in. Both the ranger and the trekker are not as stiff as the Tibets or Alaskans. How much weight are you carrying, what kinda terrain etc?

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
Hunting Arizona deserts and mountains. Also will be traveling to california, nevada and colorado. Pack weight is in 40-60 lbs range. Based on what i have read the Tibets are stiffer and more for scree and higher/steeper terrain.

I am leaning towards the wide rangers. I guess I will have to order and try to see what is really best.

ckleeves

WKR
The trekker is a great boot also. I really like leather lined boots though, and I have never had wet feet in them if they are taken care of.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Cant go wrong if the Tibet fits you, they are a bit narrow for my foot so I have to buy 13 wide. Im in the field a lot, quality boot.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I own tibets and they are an amazing boot if you get the right fit. They fit exactly the same as my shoe 11.5 wide. ONly took about 20miles before they were broke in well. Lots of support and a VERY well made boot.

Lorne

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
is the tibet too stiff, not sure how to ask on what the stiffness is. I did order and should receive this week Asolo Sassalongs and Lowa Ranger. I will test stiffness and see if i want to get something more or less. I walk on a ton of river rocks to lava rocks and think a slightly more forgiving foot bed would be more comforting.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had the sheephunter, Tibet, ranger, and renegade.

Lowa makes good boots. They run a half size small and are narrow on me.

I have had a couple of different QC issues with the gtx liner separating from the boot and then contacting my toes on each step. Customer service switched them out for me.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I own tibets and they are an amazing boot if you get the right fit. They fit exactly the same as my shoe 11.5 wide. ONly took about 20miles before they were broke in well. Lots of support and a VERY well made boot.

Lorne

I took mine on a 17 mile hike the first time I wore them. Ridge walk, some scree, grassy slopes, hard-packed horse trail. Not as much as a pressure point.I guess they just fit me. I love them.

Frans

a3dhunter

WKR
I have some Lowa Ranger 11.5 wide for sale if someone wants them, they don't fit my jacked up feet like I would like.
Fit is the only issue I have, excellent boots otherwise.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting Arizona deserts and mountains. Also will be traveling to california, nevada and colorado. Pack weight is in 40-60 lbs range. Based on what i have read the Tibets are stiffer and more for scree and higher/steeper terrain.

I am leaning towards the wide rangers. I guess I will have to order and try to see what is really best.

I've had great succes with the lowa hunter GTX extreme, for a couple years now.

JPD350

WKR
I've had great succes with the lowa hunter GTX extreme, for a couple years now.

I have had the same boots for last 3 years, great boots! They were a little stiff the first couple outings but have gotten better and better as time goes on. The one con I have is that the soles are a little slippery when it comes to wet rocks.

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
Ordered and have tried on the Lowa Rangers and Asolo Sasslong, in a wide boot. The Asolo are a narrow footbed and my foot seems to hang over and feel kinda top heavy. The Lowa are symmetrical and have a nicer toe box. After trying on the Lowas, I may look at the Crispi Nevada insulated or the Lowa Tibet.

Does anyone use an insulated boot or do you prefer to be uninsulated?

I am on my second pair of Lowa Trekkers. I have never liked Gore-Tex boots and prefer all-leather, uninsulated. The Trekkers have a very nice leather lining that conforms to your foot. Use them for elk hunting in Colorado, backpacking, day hiking.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider

Lorne

x 2...stiff but perfect for the mountain hunting up here in AK. 20 or less mile break in for me as well.

Lost Arra

FNG
+1 on the leather lined Trekkers.
I also have Tibets for heavier packs but Lowa's leather lining is terrific.
I wear the leather lined Renegade (low) to work and it's my favorite shoe.

JLF

FNG
I've hunted some nasty areas of Alaska for 4 years with the same Lowa Hunter GTX boot too without so much as a hiccup.