Low volume\ narrow foot?

WV Dan

FNG
Since I don't have access to many high end hiking\hunting boots I thought I'd ask. Anyone else have somewhat narrow feet? If so, what boot works for you? I have an old pair of Vasque new briars (Italian made) that still have some life in them but I'm looking to upgrade for next year. I figure if I buy now I have time to break in\try out a new pair before I hit the mountains. My foot isn't extremely narrow, I find a "C" width in work boots works well, but I'm told I have a low volume foot. My size is very common (10 and 1/2). Cost is not a limiting factor but I'd rather do it right before I drop coin.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Something that will help you is a good insole in addition to the boot. Meindle Perfekt footbed will probably take up the most volume in my experience.

I've got a C width foot as well and very low volume as well as overpronated. Boots that work for me are Crispi - Wild, Zamberlan (nice narrow heel cup) Expert Ibex and Kuiu Pamir, & Hanwag Ancash are my currents. Others that have worked are Asolo (just something I don't like about them - seem to induce more fatigue), Kayland - excellent lighter duty boots - very breathable with the eVent membrane, and Vasque Sundowners in years past.

Lowas - really nicely made boots, but I haven't been able to lock me heel down in them - I think a low volume thing.

Bottom line though as I mentioned first is you can take a good insole and take up a lot of that volume in a variety of medium width boots. Good heavy merino socks (still breath and they moderate the heat) but take up volume.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a somewhat narrow foot for a 13. The best fitting boots I've tried as far as width goes were the Lowa Tibet Pro GTX's, however their wasn't much room vertically in the toe box for me. I'm using Crispi's and Zamberlan's now.

OP
W

WV Dan

FNG
Thanks for the info, good to know I'm not alone. I'll check all of the suggestions. Keep em coming....thanks again.

I have very narrow long feet. Was even measured at a B width one time. Hanwags have for my feet the best bar none. As a gear junkie I'm tempted to try something else but they flat out fit great! I've ran Asolos, Kenetreks, Irish Setter (liked them), and old school Rockys (POS!) and the Hanwags have fit the best bar none. Kenetreks KILLED my heels and I sold them with 75 miles on them...

Mike

I have very narrow long feet. Was even measured at a B width one time. Hanwags have for my feet the best bar none. As a gear junkie I'm tempted to try something else but they flat out fit great! I've ran Asolos, Kenetreks, Irish Setter (liked them), and old school Rockys (POS!) and the Hanwags have fit the best bar none. Kenetreks KILLED my heels and I sold them with 75 miles on them...

Mike

Hey HCA were they killing your heels cause of not fitting properly or just didn't jive well with your feet? I'm wondering cause I started a thread with having the issue of my heels also with the meindl boots.

The heel pocket was way too big for my heels. They fit great length wise and I tried lots if different lacing patterns on them and different socks and what not. No matter what I did I got bad heel slippage and they roasted my heels.

After destroying my Kenetrek's last year I have been on quest for new boots. I, too, have a narrow foot.
I tried on a buch of boots at SCI in Vegas and ended up ordering Schnee's Granite boot to try. When it arrived it felt good initially, but after 2 days of indoor wear, no go. The went back.
Prior to my trip to Vegas I had tried a bunch of boots at Mountain Gear in Spokane. My gut told me to go back to my mountaineering days and order up the tried and true LaSportiva Makalu.
As I debated moving back to a heavy mountaineering boot I tried some of the Sierra Trading Post Lowa's with no luck and a few other boots along the way.

Two weeks ago I was in REI in Issaquah waiting for the pass to open and found some discontinued Lowa Mountain Expert GTX boots on a great sale. Amazingly they also fit my foot because they are constructed on a narrow last. Two weeks in and these look like keepers. 4 days ago my two pairs of Makalu's arrived from Moosejaw. The size 10 fits beautifully! I am likely going to keep both boots and will role with the LaSportiva's when long trips and heavy loads are on the menu. I also know from exeperience the LaSportiva will likely outlive any other serious backpacking boot on the market. My last pair carried me about 11 years and now my brother has worn them for about 4 years since I gave them to him.
I will not purchase another pair of 'hunting' boots. $400+ price tags and 4 years or less of life is not acceptable. I am not a guide or an outfitter. I expect boots to be worn out by those folks, but not by the average backpack hunter.
Finding a good boot - that fits well is a long process. Good luck to those out there with narrow feet, the options are few and the trial period can be long:)

After destroying my Kenetrek's last year I have been on quest for new boots. I, too, have a narrow foot.
I tried on a buch of boots at SCI in Vegas and ended up ordering Schnee's Granite boot to try. When it arrived it felt good initially, but after 2 days of indoor wear, no go. The went back.
Prior to my trip to Vegas I had tried a bunch of boots at Mountain Gear in Spokane. My gut told me to go back to my mountaineering days and order up the tried and true LaSportiva Makalu.
As I debated moving back to a heavy mountaineering boot I tried some of the Sierra Trading Post Lowa's with no luck and a few other boots along the way.

Two weeks ago I was in REI in Issaquah waiting for the pass to open and found some discontinued Lowa Mountain Expert GTX boots on a great sale. Amazingly they also fit my foot because they are constructed on a narrow last. Two weeks in and these look like keepers. 4 days ago my two pairs of Makalu's arrived from Moosejaw. The size 10 fits beautifully! I am likely going to keep both boots and will role with the LaSportiva's when long trips and heavy loads are on the menu. I also know from exeperience the LaSportiva will likely outlive any other serious backpacking boot on the market. My last pair carried me about 11 years and now my brother has worn them for about 4 years since I gave them to him.
I will not purchase another pair of 'hunting' boots. $400+ price tags and 4 years or less of life is not acceptable. I am not a guide or an outfitter. I expect boots to be worn out by those folks, but not by the average backpack hunter.
Finding a good boot - that fits well is a long process. Good luck to those out there with narrow feet, the options are few and the trial period can be long:)

Good post! Just curious on how many miles you log every year in the back country. "Average hunter" is a very subjective term! :)

The Schnee's Granite is not for everyone. This is a very specific mountain boot designed around a extremely rigid nylon midsole. Schnee's has an extensive collection of hunting boots ranging from more flexible trail boots to the Granite. You can check out the entire collection here: http://www.schnees.com/category/Mountain-Africa-Upland. As far as the narrow foot, our boots are built upon a D last. There are several things we can do to fill up internal volume including aftermarket midsoles and lacing technique. Give us a call! We would love to talk with you. 1-800-922-1562

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Schnee's Granite is not for everyone. This is a very specific mountain boot designed around a extremely rigid nylon midsole.
Pete,

How does the Granite compare to something like the Zamberlan Ibex Pro? I picked up a pair of the Zamberlan's this winter and so far I have only used them in the house to make sure I am happy with them before hitting the trails. I have a narrow foot with a high arch and so far I am impressed with the Zamberlan (as much as you can be from the house). I like the additional height of the Granite though... I am looking to add a stiff boot to my quiver, yet still avoid plastic boots. Been running the Alaska Meindle for the last 4 years. No real issues, its a great boot, just need something a bit stiffer for pursuits in the steep and rough stuff.

Pete at Schnee's is great!
He spent a lot of time with me and my hunting partner at the SCI show in Vegas.
No issue with the quality and stiffness of the Granite, just too wide for my feet. And I was using my socks and insoles in the trial process.
Thanks to Pete and Bart for putting up with all my questions and returns to their booth:)

Randy Bauman

HellsCanyon,
I get out for High Buck in WA, a couple 3-day backpack trips in the summer and usually a 3-5 day trip for elk that is steep, but mileage is not great.
I hike with my dogs every weekend I am home, usually 4-7 miles total.
I don't consider my schedule overly taxing for good boots.

The Granite is comparable in some aspects. Both of these boots are of extremely high quality and rigid. The Zamberlan is crampon compatible I believe, the Granite is not. We both use a Vibrum outsole, theirs being the Teton, ours being the Tsavo. We believe our outsole to be the most superior on the market. The tred design from Vibrum is perfectly designed for multidirectional traction. We restructured the rubber compound to become a softer, more "sticky" outsole. This provides a lot of traction on wet rock, ect. The softer rubber also has a longer life due to the fact that it does not chip away like a tire. Schnee's uses eVent to waterproof our boots. A material 30% more breathable than Gore-Tex. This is a big plus. Your foot can BREATH! With your high arch, I would highly recommend an after market insole, something like a superfeet. Call me with nay more questions! 406-551-5104

Tiger Rag

WKR
The Granite is comparable in some aspects. Both of these boots are of extremely high quality and rigid. The Zamberlan is crampon compatible I believe, the Granite is not. We both use a Vibrum outsole, theirs being the Teton, ours being the Tsavo. We believe our outsole to be the most superior on the market. The tred design from Vibrum is perfectly designed for multidirectional traction. We restructured the rubber compound to become a softer, more "sticky" outsole. This provides a lot of traction on wet rock, ect. The softer rubber also has a longer life due to the fact that it does not chip away like a tire. Schnee's uses eVent to waterproof our boots. A material 30% more breathable than Gore-Tex. This is a big plus. Your foot can BREATH! With your high arch, I would highly recommend an after market insole, something like a superfeet. Call me with nay more questions! 406-551-5104

Didn't know y'all used eVent. Nice to know as I have a couple pair of Kaylands with the eVent membrane for light duty stuff and I really like how breathable it is. Thanks for the input Pete!

Get a pair of Kenetrek mountain boots in narrow. I have thin narrow feet and they fit fantastic! No break in period at all. The mediums tore my feet up something fierce.

mac37

FNG
The Lowa Camino GTX is a good choice for narrow/low volume feet. The lacing system is super. It easily snugs up your foot to prevent slippage.

Have any of you tried to sew extra thick heels on socks? My heels have way too much room, but the front of the boot fits perfectly. Meindl Perfekts.