Low price backpacking tent

Hi there everyone,

I am just getting started and am beginning to look at backpacking tents but don’t know where to start. I splurged and spent money on the exo 4800 pack, but am looking for a tent that will be good for myself and my boyfriend and possibly his father for a elk hunting trip. What would you guys recommend. I’d love to stay under the $200 range. I am military if that makes a difference on if some brands offer good discounts that offset the costs slightly. I definitely want to make it something that wouldn’t be too heavy to haul into the woods on my bf’s back as he will probably be hauling for me! Really looking for best value at that price point and not as worried about getting the best available as I’m just starting out with him and am not sure if this will become an every year trip or a one time adventure.

Thanks in advance!

3 person backpacking tents that can actually fit 3 people are a tough one. Generally speaking, unless you really like being packed in, for 3 people you'd probably be looking at a 4 person tent. If you're comfortable with a floorless shelter, and can stretch that budget a little, there are tipi manufactures that would fit well for your needs, right now luxe has a 6 person tipi on sale for $295. A traditional backpacking tent that can fit 3 for sub $200 is definitely going to be tough to find.

Rokwiia

WKR
As a general rule, I've always doubled the tent manufacturer's number but I prefer more rather than less space. Not crazy feeling like I'm lying in a nylon coffin.

If you put your equipment in the vestibule, that adds usable space inside the tent but may create some difficulty getting in and out of the tent during the night to pee.

You can get more space for a reduced price but if that involves a new tent, plan on it being heavier. Generally, you can't get quality, lightweight, and inexpensive. You have to pick the two you can live with.

I've had three in a Seek Outside 4-person tipi without issue but would have been awkward if we were using the stove.

Another option if you want quality, lightweight, and price is to buy a used tent.

Finally, this is the best time of year to find a sale so you might get lucky and be able to get the price you want in a new tent. Good luck with your search.

Jbehredt

WKR
The slumberjack outpost tipi would offer affordable shelter for 3 within your budget. Buddy who snores hauled one around as a solo shelter this year. Looked to be a good value.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
I'd agree, a "3 person tent" is more of a two person tent. You can definitely sleep 3, but not comfortably.

Anyway, 3 person tent that worked for me.
Screenshot_20221124-112617.png
PXL_20221009_235220272.jpg

Foxsoup

FNG
3 person backpacking tents that can actually fit 3 people are a tough one. Generally speaking, unless you really like being packed in, for 3 people you'd probably be looking at a 4 person tent. If you're comfortable with a floorless shelter, and can stretch that budget a little, there are tipi manufactures that would fit well for your needs, right now luxe has a 6 person tipi on sale for $295. A traditional backpacking tent that can fit 3 for sub $200 is definitely going to be tough to find.

I was looking into Lux back in September when I stumbled across the customer reviews….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I managed for years with a North Face Rock 22. When used hunting (backpack goat and G bear) used it with fly/footprint only. Was very roomy in this configuration for 2 and pretty light. I'm Canadian (retired military) and but bought this tent years ago at the Pearl Harbour naval exchange. Still have the tent and it still serves as my weekend car camping tent on spring bear hunts.

The high end tents are nice and can be very light but there tent options out there of similar quality to my old NF Rock 22 that will do just fine and can be found for a couple hundred bucks.

here's a couple

Last edited: