Lost Parka vs. FL puffy questions

jm1607

WKR
Been using my FL puffy for 2 years now and really have hardly any complaints. Only complaints are that it's a little bit loud for bowhunting (which puffy isn't?) and I don't like the white color on the inside (but I don't really care)

Anyway, I REALLY like the kangaroo pouch on the Lost Parka and I'm thinking about making the switch since they are about the same weight and have the same function..

Here's my concerns:

1) Is the Lost Parka considerably more bulky than the FL or about the same? I ask because it looks bulkier in the pics I've seen?? If it is bulkier, is it fairly easy to shoot a bow wearing it?

2) Are they about the same noise wise? (I know neither is quiet by any means, but just curious...)

3) In the pics the Lost Parka looks kind of shiny?? Is this true? My Cabelas Space Rain set has this "sheen" to it that I can't stand, I feel like there's a spot light following me through the woods.. Not really a problem with the jacket, just a personal issue

Any other concerns I may not have thought of?

Last edited:

The LPP is badass! Having said that, yes, it's probably going to have more bulk than the FL, and probably be warmer. I don't own the FL, but I've seen a few. I don't shoot a bow, so can't speak to that.

I don't think it's shiny. Mine is MC, and kind of reminds me of my MC woobie. Probably the same fabric.

Kangaroo pouch is very cool, and I used it as designed this past spring, and looking forward to it in November. Zip-off hood rocks.

The LPP is very stout, with cordura faced lower forearms and belly pouch. I beat the crap out of it in May, and couldn't find anything for me not to like!

No noisier than any other synthetic jacket I've worn.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both. IMO they can't really be compared. The LPP is in a class of its own. The "warm as hell" class. It's also more bulky because of that. It makes the same amount of noise as any puffy.

I would also add that my Sitka Kelvin Lite has the slimmest tapered forearm of any puffy I've owned. It's plenty warm, as well, and not as bulky as the FFL. To give you an idea of the cut difference, I can layer my XL Kelvin Lite under my FFL in large:)

Definitely different animals. As I remember, the FL fit is huge, requiring a full size down from normal. I had to go up one in Sitka.

Jon Pynch

FNG
I have lots of puffy's and just got the LPP for my last hunt.

the lpp doesn't really compare with other puffy's(mont-bell, patagonia, kryptek, kuiu, sitka, and a few others I have. The lpp is going to be a little bit harder to put your rain shell over the top of, but mine fits fine once it's on. I feel the lpp is in a whole new class in regards to warmth. Love the pocket it front, the hood, and the cordura areas for added durability. it feels like you crawled in your sleeping bag when you put it on. it would be a literal life saver if you got stuck out overnight in cold wet weather. i love it.

I think there is still a place for the lighter, slimmer profile puffy's, but that place is diminishing the more time i spend in the LPP.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a pile of puffy jackets and among them are the First Lite Puffy and the LPP….both are great options. The LPP is warmer IME thus far but the First Lite has usable pockets and easier to get on/off due to not being a pull over. I have been using and reviewing 4 total puffy jackets since early this spring with the understanding that I wouldn't post a review until November at the earliest as I really want to be able to use/review each jacket throughly before giving a consensus as I try not to do weekend gear reviews……if you can wait another month or so I should have the article written after this last 10 day hunt on Kodiak for Brown Bear and deer. Keep ya posted….

dotman

WKR
I have a pile of puffy jackets and among them are the First Lite Puffy and the LPP….both are great options. The LPP is warmer IME thus far but the First Lite has usable pockets and easier to get on/off due to not being a pull over. I have been using and reviewing 4 total puffy jackets since early this spring with the understanding that I wouldn't post a review until November at the earliest as I really want to be able to use/review each jacket throughly before giving a consensus as I try not to do weekend gear reviews……if you can wait another month or so I should have the article written after this last 10 day hunt on Kodiak for Brown Bear and deer. Keep ya posted….

So when is the article coming out?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The article I typed up yesterday. Needs some tweaking and where I wanna add the pics and such. Currently it's nearly 1900 words....we will see if Robby makes me chop it down some for fear of folks falling asleep while reading it.

dotman

WKR
I hope he doesn't, we need some longer more indepth articles and this would be a good start :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are there any plans to offer a full zipper model........i.e. jacket, instead of a pullover? Not a fan of pullovers, and in general not a fan of hoods. So the removable hood is a nice option.

I had the FL puffy and I froze in that thing. I picked up a KUIU Kenai which is a much quieter material, and it seems to keep me warmer which is opposite what many people have indicated for themselves.

Looking forward to the review, Luke.

The Lost Park is bulkier than the First Lite, it is warmer as well. I have no problems with either shooting a bow, and noise levels are the same. It is not any shinier than the First Lite, even less so in the cordura areas.
The hood, lacking adjustment, is not as functional as the First Lite, and it is more difficult to put on and off due to it being a pull over. The front pocket works well for its intended use, but the First Lite pockets are actually functioning pockets while using a pack.
Both work well for me.
Forgot to mention the Lost Park is a slimmer cut as well.

I hope he doesn't, we need some longer more indepth articles and this would be a good start :)

I agree, nothing against anything in the past, but it's always helpful to read all the info gathered and experienced. Thanks in advance for your work Luke!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree, nothing against anything in the past, but it's always helpful to read all the info gathered and experienced. Thanks in advance for your work Luke!

HAHA....my one on the Kuiu Ultra went over 2K words I believe. Foolishy solid it back just got one back in the stable again for backpacking and packrafting trips that don't entail killing animals. I don't need a stinking 6+ pound pack to go scouting....even if I don't look as cool to most on this site as I do when using my other packs to do so. ;)

bcimport

WKR
I have a lost Park parka and have had a few other puffy coats over the years. I like the kangaroo pocket, the long tail and cut in general. The hood leaves a little to be desired in shape and how it sucks around your face when you pull the drawstring. In terms of warmth it's good but it's not the be all end all cold weather coat either. I would put it on par with a Sitka kelvin (not the kelvin lite). It however is not as warm as a high end climbers down coat. It's a good piece of equipment made in North America at a reasonable price point.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I have LPP. It is bulkier than most hunting puffy jackets but the upside is the warmth. No issue shooting a bow but of course it isn't silent.

I would prefer if the jacket had a slightly more athletic fit around the torso and the arms, but it is lightweight for what it is so I guess that is the trade off. Really awesome piece of gear all round.