Looking to purchase Matthews Z7 .... Any thoughts good , bad , run ....?

JNDEER

WKR
when it came out, it ranked top 3 for me personally when I purchased a new bow that year. It fit me well. have not tested anything newer.

bare bows I have seen go from $500-$700

PMcGee

WKR
I've had mine since they first came out and I have no complaints.

boom

WKR
brace yourself.

i sold mine for $450, bare bow. peep sight only.

you know how archery is a mind game? you have to be confident in your equipment. me and my Z7 got off on the wrong foot right away. the bow was strung up incorrectly right from the start. cable ran thru the cable guard on the outside roller. WRONG! i was a newb, so didnt know. i nicknamed my bow, "drunken sparrow" because that was how the broadhead arrows flew. i kid you not. i could shoot a broadhead around a corner. i kinda gave up, loaded it up with mech heads and hunted in texas. i was sitting in the treestand just staring at the bow..wondering why one roller in the guard was black, the other was red. it clicked!! the mofo's messed up!! it had already tore up one set of cables..and the bow shop installing the new set, just followed the old pattern and set it up wrong again. thank goodness i took a picture before. i sent it to Mathews. in about 3 days, some VP calls me talks me down off the cliff. he laughed when i told him i almost thru the bow into a pond. only thing that saved the bow from a watery grave? the Spot hogg sight..i loved that sight!!

anyways, i got plumbed up. bow shot great. i got a FREE cap from mathews and a new set of strings..WHOOPEE!!

what i didnt like about the bow? the cam is kinda aggressive. it wants to take off and rip the arrow forward if you relax any. my shoulder just couldnt handle it. coupled with our early love/hate relationship..i sold it CHEAP on archery talk..and never went back to Mathews.

the bow is nice. Mathews changed the anodizing, so my cam looked like ass. it was so chipped. mine was a 2010. watch for idler lean. i hated the grip and had installed an older grip from an Ovation. i kinda like the old fatties.

bottomline. my Z7 blew chunks. it killed a bunch of turkey..and that was it. my friends seem to still love their Z7's. i have three friends that still love theirs. so i am just the 25% in our group that didnt. fair odds.

mt100gr.

WKR
A good friend of mine has bought and sold 3 bows that he was hoping he would replace his z7 with and keep his z7 for his back up. As far as I know, the z7 is the only bow he currently owns. He won't get rid of his.

Proud owner of a z7 since it came out in 2010. This thing shoots darts, has an awesome valley and back wall. I've shot plenty of animals with it and find no reason to purchase a newer bow.

I've seen these on Archery Talk for $450-600 for a full setup.

Another member on here had his full setup listed on AT for $550 I think. That was a few weeks ago though and I believe it has sold.

I bought a Z7 brand new in 2010. loved it, shot it great. Sold it when I started to work for the bowshop. Bought a creed the day we got one, sold it and bought a Chill R the day they came out.

I sold the Chill R and bought a used Z7 for more than the price I sold my original!!! I got a major case of the good idea fairy and she kicked my rear. Should have stuck with what I knew well.

I have a Z7 still and absolutely love it. Going to buy a Xpedition bow and keep the Z7 as backup, not going to sell my favorite bow twice!

KMT

WKR
I've seen these on Archery Talk for $450-600

Yup. You should be able to find a complete bow for under $600.

Someone told me that Mathews has recently rebranded the Z7 as something else. So if you want a brand new one, ask which one is "really" the old Z7.

I have the z7 and would buy it again.

metal3006

FNG
Picked one up early last spring as a backup bow and i love it. Tossed a cheap sight and rest on it and was up and shooting with minimal tuning. And its shooter! I believe its a better bow than the newer mathews models. Paid $350 bare bow at the local bow shop.

Neptune8

FNG
Looking to buy a used Z7 .... Any thoughts? What's a fair price for bare bow?
Z7 is an awesome bow. I had a 2011 and sold the bare bow for $450. My last year hunting with it I took my biggest bull to date.

Attachments

• E574A883-E7C4-4265-8D6C-DCE153D50139.jpeg
    E574A883-E7C4-4265-8D6C-DCE153D50139.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: ZDR

mwebs

WKR
I have a 2011 z7 xtreeme tactical I might be willing to part with. Bought a v3 27 and have been going back and forth on whether I’m selling the z7. It’s an awesome bow with a cult following.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2011 z7 xtreeme tactical I might be willing to part with. Bought a v3 27 and have been going back and forth on whether I’m selling the z7. It’s an awesome bow with a cult following.
I’d be interested

Brizzle

FNG
The Z7 is awesome, you could probably find a Halon or Triax for not much more if you keep your eyes peeled. ALWAYS check the cams for a dry fire, it’s more common than you’d think on used bows... I’d personally only buy face to face for this reason alone. You can’t always tell from pictures.

Mathews made a z2 and z3 in recent years. They are both remakes of the original z7. Z7 was a awesome bow.