Looking to get a 65mm spotter

I've never had the opportunity to compare early and late light gathering capabilities between the TSN 554 and Swaro 65, but between the 554 and a buddy' 883, the difference is evident yet minimal. We're talking just a few minutes. I would imagine the 65 also loses to the 883, so the difference between the 65 and 554 would be even less, if at all.

I have been able to compare the two in mid day full light and the optics and images of the 65 were close, but did not equal those of the 554 in my opinion.

The 553/554 do have a smaller field of view. Since I don't scan with a spotter, that is a non issue for me. The spotter only comes out when I need confirmation for a potential stalk. In that situation, I only care about viewing the animal, and not what's all around him.

Everyone’s eyes are different.

Look at how many people are adamant that their Wal-Mart special optics are 100% just as good if not better than alpha.

The Kowa 55x is great but it is not perfect. Neither is the STS with any eye piece. Neither is the STX 115. That’s why you should have an optics arsenal.

I like 65mm for a do it all spotters. My first one was a razor 65, which I would never recommend to anyone. Then I had a kowa 77, while it was a very nice optic, and seems small for its size, it’s still in the 80mm spotter weight class. Despite not finding hardly any negative reviews about the kowa 55 series, I couldn’t find myself enjoying looking through such a narrow fov with my style of glassing. I settled on the sts 65 and I’m super happy with it. To my eyes the glass was better than the 77, but that’s just what my eyes told me. I think there’s a lot of people that would disagree. I still want to get one of those little kowas, and someday might. But it’s not high on the list right now. Go to a store and try some different glass and let your eyes tell you what’s the best. You can read as much as you want, but until you look through the optics, you won’t know what your eyes prefer.

WRM

WKR
Everyone’s eyes are different.

Look at how many people are adamant that their Wal-Mart special optics are 100% just as good if not better than alpha.

The Kowa 55x is great but it is not perfect. Neither is the STS with any eye piece. Neither is the STX 115. That’s why you should have an optics arsenal.

I do agree everyone has different eyes and some of it boils down to personal preference and/or bias. It is very helpful to try some of the models out. A smart consumer is not easily convinced that "top end" (size and/or price) is what they need for success, however.

An optics "arsenal"--sure, if you've got the money and also the need. Otherwise, that Kowa 55mm covers most things for most people pretty darn well. Personally, I have zero need for an "arsenal" of spotters, or anything larger than the Kowa, and sure don't have the money for extra options. To those who do---good on ya!

tdhanses

WKR
I like 65mm for a do it all spotters. My first one was a razor 65, which I would never recommend to anyone. Then I had a kowa 77, while it was a very nice optic, and seems small for its size, it’s still in the 80mm spotter weight class. Despite not finding hardly any negative reviews about the kowa 55 series, I couldn’t find myself enjoying looking through such a narrow fov with my style of glassing. I settled on the sts 65 and I’m super happy with it. To my eyes the glass was better than the 77, but that’s just what my eyes told me. I think there’s a lot of people that would disagree. I still want to get one of those little kowas, and someday might. But it’s not high on the list right now. Go to a store and try some different glass and let your eyes tell you what’s the best. You can read as much as you want, but until you look through the optics, you won’t know what your eyes prefer.
I’ll never understand how people spend hours behind a spotter with one eye closed, just is super uncomfortable for me, I only use a spotter for verification, short periods of time compared to my binos.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
I’ll never understand how people spend hours behind a spotter with one eye closed, just is super uncomfortable for me, I only use a spotter for verification, short periods of time compared to my binos.

ARGGH matey, you need to go pirate. Get an eyepatch. I use binos most of the time too.

Man if you could get a trained bird with a little pair of binos on your shoulder you'd be golden.

I do agree everyone has different eyes and some of it boils down to personal preference and/or bias. It is very helpful to try some of the models out. A smart consumer is not easily convinced that "top end" (size and/or price) is what they need for success, however.

An optics "arsenal"--sure, if you've got the money and also the need. Otherwise, that Kowa 55mm covers most things for most people pretty darn well. Personally, I have zero need for an "arsenal" of spotters, or anything larger than the Kowa, and sure don't have the money for extra options. To those who do---good on ya!
It’s all about choice.

Some folks have a safe full of pretty rifles with high end scopes. Not buying one of them would go a long way to building an optics arsenal. Giving up a single higher end commercial rifle and scope, or just downgrading, can go a long way.

Give up a single NF NX8 and you can get a Kowa 77x or for four hundred bucks more a Kowa 88x. Or “downgrade” to Trijicon on a couple of rifles and your costs are covered.

Downgrade from a single Fierce to a Tikka and you’ll have more than enough for a Kowa 55x.

Side note: before people get their panties in a wad you can find the 55x, 77x and the 88x well below published prices on a daily basis.

It’s all about choice and where the individual prefers to spend their money. I use my eyes way more on every single hunt than I do my rifle and I spend my money where it does the most good for where and how I hunt. Folks are free to spend their money how they see fit.

ARGGH matey, you need to go pirate. Get an eyepatch. I use binos most of the time too.

Man if you could get a trained bird with a little pair of binos on your shoulder you'd be golden.
If it works for a person, then they’re a lucky SOB. It’s a no go for me I stick to my binoculars for glassing and my spotter comes out for verification.

tdhanses

WKR

Haha, I did that, still wasn’t a fan 😆

WRM

WKR
If it works for a person, then they’re a lucky SOB. It’s a no go for me I stick to my binoculars for glassing and my spotter comes out for verification.

Me dos. I much prefer spotting with binos, and, in the areas I hunt, spotters really seem more of a hindrance than a benefit. Another reason I'd never lug a heavy full size in. But, I'm not counting rings at 2+miles and almost certainly never will.

tdhanses

WKR
Me too on the eyepatch--it still sucked.

But, how did you train your bird?
My bird was an ass and never came back, guess i failed at training 🤣

Now I just use binos 90-95% of the time and my little 55 the rest, I have a 77 and it is a great optic, I just never use it while hunting.

WRM

WKR
It’s all about choice.

Some folks have a safe full of pretty rifles with high end scopes. Not buying one of them would go a long way to building an optics arsenal. Giving up a single higher end commercial rifle and scope, or just downgrading, can go a long way.

Give up a single NF NX8 and you can get a Kowa 77x or for four hundred bucks more a Kowa 88x. Or “downgrade” to Trijicon on a couple of rifles and your costs are covered.

Downgrade from a single Fierce to a Tikka and you’ll have more than enough for a Kowa 55x.

Side note: before people get their panties in a wad you can find the 55x, 77x and the 88x well below published prices on a daily basis.

It’s all about choice and where the individual prefers to spend their money. I use my eyes way more on every single hunt than I do my rifle and I spend my money where it does the most good for where and how I hunt. Folks are free to spend their money how they see fit.

I don't have most of that fancy stuff either. Actually, I do have some fairly nice gear, just not multiples, the "latest and greatest", or "what if" stuff. If you want to have a safe full of guns (or two) or an arsenal of spotters, that is your choice. I just don't have the funds for them and I find I don't need all that to greatly enjoy my outdoor time.

BBob

WKR
I’m a lucky one I suppose. It did take some time to adapt but when you have no other choice I guess you figure it out. I can even switch back and forth between L&R eyes to help keep the eye fade in check. I’ve carried eye patches for many many years and usually use one but not always. Sheep guides are really good with spotter glassing. More BTX are showing up all the time but I still see most with just spotters.

Oh, even though I can do it (one eye) I’ll totally agree two eyed glassing beats glassing one eyed any day 😉

Last edited: