Looking to buy my first bolt action rifle

ruger35

FNG
If that doesn’t include the scope price you could come pretty close to putting together a custom yourself. My advice being this is your first bolt action, buy something that has prefits available. I’m a dedicated Straight Jacket Armory customer, check with them on prefits they may have on shelf and running a sale on. Sometimes they run decent sales on guns they have in-stock and ready to go too.

Does that budget include the scope? If so, what scope do you have in mind? And if not, what is the scope budget?

TaperPin

WKR
You can invest $3k in a rifle with all the cool stuff that shoots like crap, or use the basic/plain action of your choice, have a top barrel installed by a gunsmith ($1k) and shoot little groups. Either way is ok.

I think of any rifle as just a box of parts to be changed and swapped out to fit your interests. More parts are made to fit a Remington 700 pattern than any other, but Tikka, Savage, Ruger, Christensen, Mosberg, Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, or any major brand with a top quality $1k barrel will shoot well under MOA.

Reactions: mtg

JGood

Lil-Rokslider

Petergon

FNG
Tikka announced a 7prc earlier this year at SHOT Show. It hasn't appeared yet and the year is running out. But they announced it.

I would avoid Christensen and Fierce as they have QC issues more frequently than they should.

Seekins PH2 if you don't go with a Tikka.
Really? Then im waiting hahaha

the x bolt 2 looks promising if you wanted a ready to shoot 7prc. or a seekins. stainless tikka 7 mag swaped with a 7prc prefit and dropped in stock chassis of your choice wouldnt be bad idea either. but maybe a little more trickier being in canada.

eric1115

WKR
Looking for a 7prc though and tikka doesn’t carry them

I'd be rethinking chambering if I were in your shoes. If this is a first/only bolt gun, you'll be way more deadly way further with a 6CM or 6.5CM and a big pile of ammo you burn through every year vs a 7PRC and a smaller pile of ammo (budget and recoil means we all shoot little stuff more and better).

If you don't shoot many hundreds, preferably multiple thousand rounds a year, none of us has any business shooting game at the kind of ranges where 7PRC gives an advantage over a CM sized case.

Stainless Tikka
6CM prefit barrel (especially since Canada and no suppressors)
Rokstok when it becomes available to you.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka, browning, seekins, weatherby. Those are the only brands I would be considering for factory rifles.

Remember more money does not mean better. On tikka it’s very easy to get aftermarket stocks so it’s a great option.