Looking for the best tarp

zacattack

WKR
the seek outside DST is an awesome tarp that you can use as a shelter if you wanted. The sheep tarp from kifaru is a bit smaller but makes for nice shade or emergency roof in rain or snow, I wouldn’t use it as a long term shelter though unless you were pretty desperate. I wouldn’t use either as a floor, I can’t imagine them being durable enough for that, and that’s a good bit of money. Seekoutside has something called the fearlessly floorless, it’s basically their version of a tyvek floor except it doesn’t make much noise like normal tyvek. I think I paid under $20 for it.

jonp4161

FNG
I brought a tarp along on my hunt last year and it was one of the best pieces of equipment i had. it was a tarp from walmart so it was heavy and bulky. i am looking for a lighter weight tarp that is still waterproof that i can use as a floor in my vestibule and as a make shift sunshade when its hot.

Poly tarps should be one of my suggestions they are lightweight, and could come in waterproof. I say, poly tarps are not the best when it comes to durability, but they are affordable compared to canvas type.

wyroberts

FNG
I was gifted a Borah Gear tarp last year. I haven’t used it much so I can’t attest to it being the “best”, but it’s nice quality. They also added additional reinforcement points by request.

Why not just use a tipi tent like a argali or durston xmid outer instead of a tarp.
Your typically going to need some stakes,cord or pole anyway?

intunegp

WKR
I think the Klymit Roamer is worth a mention as a budget option for the uses OP mentioned. Limited pitch options due to only having 6 tie points but the 10x10 weights 8oz and is like $45.

EdP

WKR
It doesn't sound like many folks actually read what the OP asked. He wants the tarp to use as a floor, not overhead cover. I agree with rdp123 who did pay attention to the question and said
Another vote for the Seek DST, which is a great standalone shelter and light enough to keep in the pack for rain, emergencies or whatever. I wouldn't use it or any tarp really as a floor though. A sheet of tyvek or eva foam can serve that role cheaply and at a weight of only a couple ounces.

I also love my DST but would not use it as a floor.

intunegp

WKR
It doesn't sound like many folks actually read what the OP asked. He wants the tarp to use as a floor, not overhead cover. I agree with rdp123 who did pay attention to the question and said

I also love my DST but would not use it as a floor.

You must not have actually read what he asked either... OP wants to use this tarp as a floor for his vestibule AND an overhead sun shade.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Any of the best ultralight options I wouldn't want to use as a floor, but for $36 on sale and just shy of 10'x10' at 14oz, this might be an option to customize and sew some more tie points on.

EdP

WKR
You must not have actually read what he asked either... OP wants to use this tarp as a floor for his vestibule AND an overhead sun shade.
Actually I did see that when I went back and reread what the OP wrote BEFORE making my post. There were a lot of responses that never addressed the floor issue, which is a less than ideal application for any of the lightweight tarps used for overhead cover.