Looking for some Upland Dog Vests

ewade07

WKR
Looking for some protective vests for my dogs (GWP, Lab/GWP) mainly for hunting upland birds. Something that wont break the bank will protect my dogs from brush and fences, specifically in the armpit areas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
We just use the chest protector/skid-plate variety and they work great. The underside seems to be what gets scratched up the most.

Forearms too, but we opt for maintenance rather than donning her with too much gear. Getting a couple scratches is part of it.

Forgot to add that I think we just got a basic chest protector from gundogsupply. You can find more expensive/heavy duty models I'm sure. It also seems vest sizing is difficult for pointers because they can be so barrel chested, so you may have to do a bit more trial and error there if you opt for full vests.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
We just use the chest protector/skid-plate variety and they work great. The underside seems to be what gets scratched up the most.

Forearms too, but we opt for maintenance rather than donning her with too much gear. Getting a couple scratches is part of it.
Forearms are the big area for me, I just dropped my GWP/Lab off at the vet for some care. She tore her pit open pretty good yesterday out pheasant hunting.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Lion Country Supply makes a good one--well made and robust without being too heavy. My only negative for it is that the orange isn't as bright as it could be. Otherwise an excellent product.

Forearms are the big area for me, I just dropped my GWP/Lab off at the vet for some care. She tore her pit open pretty good yesterday out pheasant hunting.
Yeah, I've seen some forearm protectors on gundogsupply. I'm sure they help, but they will only protect so much. The pits will remain vulnerable. We usually just apply some Vaseline or coconut oil to that area to prevent chafing.

Hope she heals up fast!