Looking for some advice on a backpack. Please share your opinions.

I currently have an EXO mnt 5500 pack. Considering getting a kifaru striker XL with a Sherman pocket. I’m thinking with the Stryker it’s a more suitable day pack and then I could add a dry sack on the meat shelf for those extended hunts. Most of my backpack hunts are 5 to 6 days but I have done a couple around 10. Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to switching to the Stryker xl or should I just stick with my Exo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So i have used quite a few different packs (Kuiu, SG, Exo, badlands & initial ascent) and my buddy that i hunt with has a Kifaru pack i have tried on and used. The biggest thing to consider with packs is how does it handle the really heavy weight & do you have enough space to pack out all your gear and equipment and make as little meat trips as possible in and out of the backcountry. All top end packs are good and plenty comfortable in the 60-80lb range, no questions asked. The however becomes when you start getting above that in meat weight and capacity it takes up in your pack. If you are using your entire "day pack" for your gear, and you had your meat shelf taken up by gear, where is your meat going to go? you might fit it with some clever rearranging......but with 60lbs of gear, food, water now conservatively another 60lbs+ meat for only 1 trip.....it adds up muy rapido. My experience in packing out animals and heavy loads with all these packs is not all packs are created equal after 70lbs. Kifaru, Initial Ascent (Maybe mystery ranch & exo as interchangeable 3 & 4) are the top packs that i have seen that handle truly heavy loads the most comfortable. With Kifaru and Initial Ascent being at the top. This will depend on body type as i am 6'3" 230lbs, and a smaller exo& kuiu frame doesnt do well for my broader build. So long story long, get a pack with plenty of capacity and that can handle truly heavy loads the best. You can always compress down the bag, you cant ever add more space to the bag. Just my two sense and everybody's opinons are different :). Hope that helps

nphunter

WKR
Just buy a smaller exo bag. I'm running a Kifaru frame with an Exo 4800 Bro bag and am very happy with it, I've done multiple backpacking trips and use it as a day pack probably 100 days a year. The exo bag is super easy to compress down and still has full access to the horse shoe zipper.